• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with size gains

username0

Ive been reading lots of posts about rep ranges and to summarise most people say

4-6 is strength
6-10 is size
10 + endurance

Ive been doing alot of isolation at 6-12 but most of my compounds ive stuck to the 4-7 range.

Should I be dropping a few kg's to hit the 6-10 on my bench / deadlift / squat / rows?

Im finding my strength is going great but my size isnt that impressive after a year of solid workouts.

Im finding my strength is going great but my size isnt that impressive after a year of solid workouts.

Keep lifting and eating and report back in another 12 months.

Where are your lifts at? Your using very broad terms what does strength is 'great' mean? What size gains have you had to date?

After 12 months you probably just need to keep lifting/eating/progressing your lifts.

i suppose ive put on about 25kg on my max bench in 12 months and similar in other compound exercises.

Max bench is at 82.5
Max squat 130
Max military press 62.5

I look at myself and see good definition but size is small so im thinking of changing up my rep range.

Should I be dropping a few kg's to hit the 6-10 on my bench / deadlift / squat / rows?

To answer this question simply.... For squats, bench and rows.... YES YOU SHOULD BE DOING SOME HIGHER REP STUFF (everyone should)... In conjunction with your low rep stuff...

ie for chest...
Flat barbell bench 3x5 (Heavy first)
Incline dumbell bench 3x8-12 (Then drop to higher rep range and chase the pump)
Dips 3 x 8-12
Flyes 3x10-15

Just make sure there is some form of progression...

Deadlifting would be the exception as high reps suck on this excercise!!! But will leave that one up to you....

Maybe put up your work out for further comment? Age, Weight, calorie intake plus how much fat you carrying?

i suppose ive put on about 25kg on my max bench in 12 months and similar in other compound exercises.

Max bench is at 82.5
Max squat 130
Max military press 62.5

I look at myself and see good definition but size is small so im thinking of changing up my rep range.

Just pick a programme stick to it and progress. Your not 'big' because your moving enough weight yet.

More info is needed to give proper constructive criticism but weight, workout etc would be a good start?

Talking generally I will just say that you don't see alot of small guys who squat 160kg, bench 100kg for reps and deadlift 200kg. Set these as your goals and size will come with it. Want big arms and a big back curl for reps with a 20kg plate e/side, bench heavy & work up to 20 dead hang chin up's.

In b4 bodybuilding crowd tells you to do light work at high reps for infinity sets.

ALOT.png

Would you not agree though Darko if your lifting alot and heavy its pretty hard not to work up a masive appetite?

But your 100% right EAT ALOT

Of course, if you're ravenous after a good workout it's a good sign.
Problem is many think it's a magic 'routine' or 'program' that'll make them huge, you've got to feed the body for gains.
Food is the natural 'steroid'

Last edited:
Problem is many think it's a magic 'routine' or 'program' that'll make them huge, you've got to feed the body for gains.

This and hard work, although hard work is a difficult product to sell.

Not disagreeing with you... Lifters must eat...

However also depends on body type... Anyone over 15% bf needs to spend time in the calorie deficit sin bin....

Not disagreeing with you... Lifters must eat...

However also depends on body type... Anyone over 15% bf needs to spend time in the calorie deficit sin bin....

True but that's a different kettle of fish, in the OPs case he wants to gain muscle mass and assuming he's lifting intensely enough and getting adequate rest, by rest I mean sleep, but he's still not gaining then you need to look at whether he's eating enough to support any gains.

Most people on this forum would be over 15% bf lol

OP, EAT. Drink your calories, up your protein intake, just eat MOAR.

Its hard for some, but it can be done. Plenty of men on this forum started out as virtual weeds & are now big beautiful strapping lads. Pistachio & GROAR immediately come to mind, but there are definitely others.

Gaining weight is no different to losing weight. Find your maitenance calorie level & play with the numbers, slowly increase your calorie intake until the scale reflects that you're gaining at a steady rate. You'll put on a lovely layer of fat too, but that can be dealt with down the track.

Get your bulk mode on.

If you're still experiencing strength gains & enjoying your program, theres no need to change it imo. Keep going.

Muscle requires food to grow. Simple as that :)

Most people on this forum would be over 15% bf lol

:)

Good point.... Its just a generalisation that would apply to men...

Women bf% is much higher...

As this is the bb section maintaining reasonable leaness should be central to any program IMO...

ok well i can take from this taht i just cant expect miracles so far as I was a skinny boy to start with.

My goal is to hit 90kg by the end of the year and bench 5x100 next year on the bench.
So i guess Ill keep changing things up, working hard and eating right.

Ive also used advice to switch to doing my 3 or so sets of heavies... 4-7 and then 3 sets of lights 8-12