• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you guys stay motivated with an injury?

I bet a chiro diagnosed that and you never shelled our for an mri while you were having back pain?

Tight hammies are caused by sciatic irritation from degenerated discs not the other way around.

Stretching out your hammies can help relive the compression on the disc but it is the disc pressing on the nerve that causes all that tightness in the first place.

If the placebo effect of the roller works for ya keep at it. Couple sets of light stiff legs would give you exactly the same result for alot less effort.

Did you even read my last post? I said hip flexors, not hamstrings. Completely different group of muscles and issues, especially if you drive a desk like I do all day.

Anyways, each to their own. I am happy to chime in with any further advice regarding myofacial / trigger point therapy and things I've learnt along the way to anyone happy to listen. In fact one kind soul on this very board helped me resolve my hip flexor issue when a chiro and osteo did not even look in that area.

Did you even read my last post? I said hip flexors, not hamstrings. Completely different group of muscles and issues, especially if you drive a desk like I do all day.

Anyways, each to their own. I am happy to chime in with any further advice regarding myofacial / trigger point therapy and things I've learnt along the way to anyone happy to listen. In fact one kind soul on this very board helped me resolve my hip flexor issue when a chiro and osteo did not even look in that area.

I confused your post with the one by @highroad; but my point stands unless.

FFS you thought you have damaged discs turns out you don't cause someome on a forum gave you the magic cure for it.

Deluded much? Just cause your not injured now doesn't mean your myo facial is doing anything.

Now if you had before and aftet scans then yes you probably could attribute it to that.

BB forums are not dr's, just cause someone says its so doesn't make it fact.

I confused your post with the one by @highroad; but my point stands unless.

FFS you thought you have damaged discs turns out you don't cause someome on a forum gave you the magic cure for it.

Deluded much? Just cause your not injured now doesn't mean your myo facial is doing anything.

Now if you had before and aftet scans then yes you probably could attribute it to that.

BB forums are not dr's, just cause someone says its so doesn't make it fact.

:D Yes I'm playing Doctor

When someone like Mark Bell, arguably one of the strongest and most knowledgable powerlifters in the world talks highly of Kelly Starrett you should probably take notice.

Kelly Starrett changed my life! Mark Bell Power

Kelly Starrett | SuperTraining.TV

Another good resource for the techniques I use for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/functionalpatterns

Last edited:
Motivation should come from within, on the Sunday i cut my hand open and required stitches, the next day i walked straight to the Safety Squat bar and started squatting.

If you look for excuses, you will always find them.

Not sure if this is aimed at me or not.. im not making excuses at all mate, not sure where you got that from.

Ive trained with many small injuries and worked around them but sadly this one is one i have to respect as my career can ride on me getting a back injury bad enough to stop me being deployable.

I am still lifting and training ( and with high intensity ) im just making sure I get zero pain in the injured area so I dont aggravate it more before it gets a chance to heal. Have also been foam rolling and stretching my lower back and glutes/hammies well every day and it is definitely improving in leaps and bounds!

Get some training you may be doing it wrong if youre a beginner..

Sounds like a very minor injury that could become worse if you dont stretch, get a good trainer, and some guidance.

I did the same thing ages ago - and kept doing it - fixed it with the above.

Long story short have strained my lower back while doing deadlifts last weekend which was 100% my own fault being lazy with only 100kg on the bar warming up and not showing respect for the weight and form slipped enough to injure me.

Pretty much squats, good mornings, front squats and deadlifts are all out at the moment ( i have tried even light weight on squatting and it instantly flared it up ) for possibly 3-4 weeks at least. In the meantime I am going to concentrate mainly on my upper body lifts which dont cause me any dramas, surprisingly medium weight military press doesnt cause an issue... So trying to stay positive and look at this in the best way I can as an opportunity to work on upper body weaknesses while I cant squat or deadlift heavy.

Biggest thing im dealing with already is feeling like shit because im not squatting and deadlifting, I squat twice a week and always have and not doing them just makes me feel like a pussy, I know its purely ego but how do you guys keep yourself in a positive mindset whilst recovering from an injury?

I still will do some lower body shit that I can manage, leg extensions etc. shit i normally never would do but i gotta keep some kind of load on my legs or they will just go to shit...

Doing my fkn head in not being able to push myself hard like I normally do, going to be a long recovery mentally

So, with all the advice, good and bad, what's your plan?

jj80; I would love to train at a gym like PTC etc. but I live in the middle of nowhere at the moment and will be here for another 2 years at least... Coaching is something almost impossible to get in person. When i get back into squatting decent weight again I will post some vids up and get some feedback. I am not a fan of internet advice on form though, in person with a coach is the best option hands down.

Silverback; Plan is to continue working on stretching and foam rolling and keeping as much blood flow as possible around the affected area/s and to not squat or deadlift for a few weeks and see how it goes. Once i feel the pain is pretty much gone in normal day to day activities which shouldnt take to long the way it is going then i will start with just the bar and begin squatting again working back up. I know its not a vertabrae issue as the pain is definitely soft tissue related, its purely the inflammation that is causing the slight sciatic pain because nurofen and moderate activity completely stops the pain.

Still will train upper body like normal just being careful obviously.

I am currently injured (6 months and counting) so I can relate. Keep going to the gym, keep the routine. That will help mentally (for me anyway). Do your rehab but don't push your limits to "test" otherwise you have a chance of going backwards. Remember, rehab is difficult. It is hard not testing your max strength.

Doing rehab is like jerking off but not allowing yourself to finish.

Well i have recovered (from what i can feel) from my shoulder muscle injury, will be heading back to the gym this week.

I believe that you need to stay away from the mind-set that you are injured.

And have what mind set? that you are not injured you are just not capable of competing at the moment.

As someone who has been injured way to much. Spent far too many thousands of dollars getting injuries fixed and far too much time watching rather than competing. You just have to suck it up. Injuries happen. It fucking sucks but each time you try and come back better and there is always someone with a worse injury than you.

if you love sport and training, as I do, you will always do something.

I lost 2 years leg training with fractures femur ( lateral condyle), and a lot of strength, but never gave up hope that it would get better even though one surgeon told me a rare sport injury that is difficult to heal. I just cycled and did what I could.

Today I did 4 reps on 100g squat, first time in nearly 2 years I have squatted 2 plates. I am about 50kg down on what I squatted in 2011 (160kg with belt) in powerlifting comp, but I am just rapped to be squatting again.

Last edited:
Today I did 4 reps on 100g squat, first time in nearly 2 years I have squatted 2 plates. I am about 50kg down on what I squatted in 2011 (160kg with belt) in powerlifting comp, but I am just rapped to be squatting again.

You did 4 reps of 100g...talk about taking it slow...

I'm just taking the piss mate, I know you meant 100kgs :p, nice work!

Taurus, no it was a serious stress fracture that had the potential to fully fracture the way I was going.

It is in the condyle, at bottom of femur,

Lateral condyle of femur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The surgeon said my damage was the result of a serious crunch of the knee when bent.

The only event I recall was in Sept. 2011 when i stepped from a wet carpet onto to tiles and my left knee smashed into tiles.

That day I could not do lunges.

I kept training very hard and got to point where I could not do 2kg on leg extension, obviously I was pushing through an injury which then became a stress fracture.

Competed in a Dec. 2011 comp, five lifts, but kept getting worse.

Finally got an MRI in March 2012 which told the story.

If I had done so earlier, probably would have lost just 6 months.

From what I read it is an unusual stress fracture, more common in elderly people.

I can sprint on it flat out now and jump with no pain, so assume it has healed.

I actually started rehab earlier than suggested, doing stepus on a height which I gradually increased, as long as there was no pain. It is a hard place to get blood flow, so figured they may help.

and after I finally stopped doing leg extensions, apparently really bad for injured knees, recovery has been that much faster.

:D Yes I'm playing Doctor

When someone like Mark Bell, arguably one of the strongest and most knowledgable powerlifters in the world talks highly of Kelly Starrett you should probably take notice.

Kelly Starrett changed my life! Mark Bell Power

Kelly Starrett | SuperTraining.TV

Another good resource for the techniques I use for anyone interested.

functionalpatterns - YouTube
All for myofascial release. That book really helped with a bunch of my problems. Helped with range of motion, knee pains, back pains. Helped my daily posture too.
Not sure why your all arguing about it, myst is just trying to suggest an alternative that may help.