• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long before a muscle is recovered?

Fadi

I was reading an article on the internet regarding the subject of muscle recovery and could not help but become disgusted, (especially when the writer is a qualified trainer)!

I’m reading that it would take one of my muscles 7 to 10 days before it can fully recover naturally. And that training a body part twice a week is worthless. I seem to remember something similar said by an Australian champion bodybuilder not long ago, when speaking of lifting heavy as opposed to Milos's philosophy of giant and super high reps.

Wow, wow, and more wow! I’m flabbergasted! I might as well go and bury myself. What useless muscles I have. 7 to 10 days?!

Does anyone on this forum really believe this stuff? I mean is that why one muscle per day training routines are so prevalent these days? Arms by themselves, shoulders by themselves, chest by itself etc. Anything else according to this writer and I’ll be risking muscle atrophy. Scary stuff!

Well how about training a muscle 3 times a week? What would you say to that now? Can’t be done you say? I’ll go one better for you, WITH FULL RECOVERY!!! Oh yes, I know what you’re thinking, I must’ve overlooked the word: “naturally” as been part of that writer’s philosophy (or may be paranoia). Every time a natural bodybuilder has a problem with something, he or she takes that easy way out and begins to lash out at the steroid taking other. Granted that steroids are extremely powerful in their building capabilities as well as in their recovery enhancing abilities. However before cheap shots are taken and fingers get pointed, the natural bodybuilder’s first stop and first look aught to be at himself. Everything he’s doing and not doing. Everything he’s eating and not eating. Every supplement he’s taking and not taking. Is he sleeping properly or not? When all these aspects have been taken care of and have been given a positive tick, then and only then a true comparison between a natural bodybuilder and a steroid taker can be fairly scrutinised.

Please check this thread for a better understanding: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9107-f-word.html
Thank you for reading.

Fadi.

I know I am not getting enough sleep for Recovery. I average between 6.5 - 7 hours a night, though it is the most I can get at the moment.

What is the most beneficial amount of time to sleep for recovery? I guess it would differ from person to person.

We squat , pull and press overhead 3 times a week at PTC.

My son Max pulls and presses overhead everyday, he squats 3 times a week during soccer season, everyday in the off season.

On school holidays he lifts twice a day.

his idol is Pyrros Dimas and Naim, plus all the Chinese weightlifters lol

He appears to be recovering okay.

I found I gained the most when I was working out 6 days a week. I'm going to try that again. Some days I would work bottom of bicep, then next day hit top of bicep. Other muscle groups too of course, but I found that my body managed to adapt and heal pretty damn well.

I put on 7kg in 3 months working out every day and not resting.

No joke =)

I just train the bits that don't hurt.

I train top of bicep with cross body hammer curls, they leave the rest of the bicep pretty much alone.

Now, I'm only new to this, I'm still learning, but I need you to explain something to me. If its possible to train different areas of the bicep, why are Arnolds biceps different shapes.

Did he only use DB's, and trained the peak on one arm, and trained the other for fullness.

Why didnt he train his arms the same, he looks wrong.

arnold-schwareznegger-13.preview.jpg

Does anybody else train each arm differently to make them look different?

I wonder if muscle shape is determined at birth, through your insertion points, and you cant actually change the shape, you can just make a muscle larger.

That would mean all those f u c k h e a d s isolatring each muscle portion, have been wasting their time.

Nah, that cant be it.

Arnold obviously did concentration curls on his right arm and preacher bench on his left.

That makes sense

Well, in my course they are telling us that it takes about 7 days for a muscle to recover fully from a workout.

But they also tell us that after 7-14 days without training strength begins to decline.

So there's a bit of a contradiction there. If I'm still recovering (say) 2 days after the workout shouldn't my strength be less than it was? If I'm fully recovered 10 days afterwards shouldn't my strength be the same or better? And then when I ask about it, it turns out that there are very few serious studies on these issues, and those are based on like a dozen guys, so really they're not too sure.

I see it this way: there's recovery, and then there's full recovery. Think of when you get a really bad bruise. It hurts by itself for maybe 1 day, then hurts when the body part it's on is moved or pressed for another 2 days, and after that doesn't hurt at all - but the bruise is still visible for another 3-4 days after that. So we might say that the bruise has recovered after 1-3 days, but it will not fully recovered for 7 days.

If muscles work the same way, then... well, you guys are smarter than me and can fill in the blanks.

I don't have anything to say about training the different parts of single muscles, except that I hear it an awful lot. "To train inner pecs..." etc. It'd be nice if it worked, who wouldn't love to have teh bicepts peakz?

last time i used to do lat pull downs and the seated row to train my back...
i dont really feel much of my back working...

when i started squatting... I can feel that slight DOMS on my back the nxt day...
so i think compound is better than isolation (for me)

i train 3 times a week and i like it... to allow muscle to "fully recover" would just make me lazy and soon i'll not even train...

I don't know, 3 or 4 bicep exercises, and 10 reps a set mabye 3 or 4 sets, sometimes 2 sets, sometimes 15 reps with 2 sets, sometimes 20 reps with 1 set.

Depends I just go until it fkn hurts.

Tim, you can not isolate the upper, lower, upper, outer or any part of the bicep. The bicep muscle is actually split outer and inner, so you can see from the pic how it would be impossibly to work the 2 sparate muscle heads when flexation occurs at the elbow joint.

Bicep_jpg_w300h553.jpg

I can really feel it isolate in the upper arm though with cross body hammer curls. Are you sure?

Have you tried cross body hammer curls? Do you feel it mainly in your upper biceps, or is this just me?

thanks

It's probably just the tendon pulling hard. Tendons are white fibrous tissue that joins muscle to bone. On either side of a muscle the tendons have relatively different strengths, as you lift you stress them, this stress causes discomfort or pain, and it drifts on to the muscle itself.