• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much water do you drink a day?

How much water do you drink a day?

• 1-2L

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 2-3L

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3-4L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5L

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 5L

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
How much water do you drink a day and how much do you think you SHOULD be drinking?

Have a 2L bottle on my desk, I go through it at least twice a day. Then will smash through more when I get home or at basketball

At work, thru winter at least 3L, summer is close to a litre per hour if I'm outside so 10-12L.
At home is more like 3-4L but I'm usually not doing much other than training

So you wait until your nearly dehydrated or dehydrated to drink water?

No. I wait until I'm thirsty.

You seem to be wrongly assuming that you are dehydrated when you become thirsty.

It's just fancy these days to be sipping on water all day.

No. I wait until I'm thirsty.

You seem to be wrongly assuming that you are dehydrated when you become thirsty.

It's just fancy these days to be sipping on water all day.

Its a very good sign that your body is becoming dehydrated - I dont think its fancy - its common sense.

Its a very good sign that your body is becoming dehydrated - I dont think its fancy - its common sense.

Lol. Thirst is a sign you are thirsty, so you have a drink.

Dehydration can mean any tiny loss of body water at all. So any time you are not taking in water you are dehydrating. At first signs of thirst you are not going to have actual clinical signs of dehydration.

Just drink if you are thirsty.

What Rugby is saying is correct.
If I wait until I'm thirsty working in summer (45+ in the shade), it's way too late.
If you're not in extreme conditions, you can obviously go longer without needing water but the same principal applies. If you're thirsty, you're already fairly dehydrated.

References for claims please.

according to Dr Heinz Valtin, a Dartmouth Medical School physician

another

I have a bottle at my desk I'm constantly sipping on. Including all the water used in protein shakes and taking vitamins, easily 4L.

You body is approx 70% water. Supplying it the bare minimum by only drinking when you're thirsty isn't smart nutrition.

From Daniel L. Johnson, MD, FACP, Sr. AME

And from Wikipedia but referenced from

1. Kaneshiro, Neil K. "Dehydration". National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
  2. Shirreffs SM, Merson SJ, Fraser SM, Archer DT (June 2004). "The effects of fluid restriction on hydration status and subjective feelings in man". Br. J. Nutr. 91 (6): 951–8. doi:10.1079/BJN20041149. PMID15182398.
  3. "Dehydration Affects Mood, Not Just Motor Skills / November 23, 2009 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service". Ars.usda.gov. Retrieved 2012-11-09.

Symptoms of dehydration include thirst, headache, general discomfort, loss of appetite, dry skin, decreased urine volume, confusion, unexplained tiredness, and irritability.

Over hydrating may be detrimental to performance if you're a professional athlete but for average joe, waiting until you're thirsty is too late.
If you're older, on certain medications or whatever, the thirst mechanism kicks in even later.

I find if I wait till I'm thirsty I'm done for, headaches and poor training sessions...work up in the Pilbara during summer and if you're not smashing water all day even if you don't feel like it, you're on a quick path to heat stress.