• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to bend an olympic bar

Interesting article.

A couple of things stood out for me:

All the imported bars from China have a very low tensile strength and lower yield strength. Their bars can be bent by doing an explosive deep knee bend with 300 pounds and reversing direction fast.

Bars rarely bend from dropping when the plates hit first. It almost always happens when the bar hits first, such as on a power rack. This makes me wonder why, with all the great designers around, none of the gym equipment manufacturers can design and manufacture a shock absorbing power rack, or a power rack designed so that if a loaded bar drops, the plates hit first.

Some incorrect information though.

Zhang Kong bars come from China, the article states ALL bars from China.

A rack that doesnt bend dropped bars certainly exists, its sitting on the showroom floor at Ironedge

After Jack dumped 230kg over his head in my rack and bent an ABC bar, I know longer have good bars in my rack

Some incorrect information though.

Zhang Kong bars come from China, the article states ALL bars from China.

A rack that doesnt bend dropped bars certainly exists, its sitting on the showroom floor at Ironedge

After Jack dumped 230kg over his head in my rack and bent an ABC bar, I know longer have good bars in my rack

I'd say when the article was first published Ivanko sales were down....LOL and perhaps ZK didn't exist.

ABC Bars (my experience)

I ordered a custom made powerlifting bar from ABC, 60inch between collars and 29ml thick.

I made it quite clear to ABC that the bar will at some point have close to 1000lbs on it for the squat.

ABC were 100% certain that thier bars would not whip around with that sort of weight, and they assured me that the bar they would make me would handle 500kg, but due to the extra length it may reduce it's strength but not enough to cause problems. The bar cost $700.

I also requested a powerlifting knurling as opposed to a weightlifting knurling.

The bar arrived 2 months later, a whole month after the competition which the bar was needed for.

Bar finally arrives, the rings are so close together on the knurling I dont even know if it's the right knurling for a weightlifting bar? First set of squats with 60kg I knew the bar was shit!! At 220kg it was bending lke a banana, 260kg was probably the absolute limit regarding safety. Last night with 290kg it took me 10 seconds standing still for the bar to stop whipping around after my walk out, before I could squat, and during the squat I swear I took that whole 290kg about 6 -7 times on the negative. I'm game, but I won't ever do that again!

Not sure what went wrong with the order, I'm thinking it's a weightlifting bar, and he didnt take me seriously when I said how strong I needed it.

The competition which the bar was originally ordered for, went ahead with the use of a $200 bar from a health store in Hobart, it was altered by a few maintenence workers so that it was 60 inches between collars, which meant the sleeves were over hanging the actual bar. It handled a 390kg squat with no whip at all !

serves yourself right for being so fucking strong!....J/K

here's hoping the new one that Markos has ordered for you isn't like that.

could get one made, but you are looking at 2.5-3k for one and that is just a guess
my friend from leoko can also make one too

they used those at the WPC worlds last year

could get one made, but you are looking at 2.5-3k for one and that is just a guess
my friend from leoko can also make one too

they used those at the WPC worlds last year

I originally wanted the eleiko bar, and we called ABC for info on them, funny thing.... the fellow at ABC assured my girlriend on two occasions, on the telephone that thier bars are exactly the same as eleiko.

I didn't beleive it for a minute, but imagined with those sort of promises that the bar they would provide me with would be better than the piece of shit I ended up with.
icon7.gif

I'll txt you later in regards to ordering a real bar.

serves yourself right for being so fucking strong!....J/K

here's hoping the new one that Markos has ordered for you isn't like that.

I'm sure Markos has had a lot more dealings with ABC than I have, so I'm confident they will provide him with what he's requested.

And... thanks for the compliment :)

I dont reckon my bar will be much better as its still only going to be the same diameter.

Once the length extends, the bar HAS to get thicker to prevent whip, thats just physics.

The longer bars need to be 32mm I reckon.

With mine being 57" rather than 60" between collars, it might be marginally better.

The ABC bar, with 52" between the collars, is hands down the best bang for your buck bar out there, period. We have used 400kg for partials with them, no dramas, still straight as a dye

One Wayne is finished squatting with the bar, it will become our deadlift bar anyway as it sits inside the WPC regulations. Much cheaper than bringing in a DL bar from the States.

I ordered a custom made powerlifting bar from ABC, 60inch between collars and 29ml thick.

I made it quite clear to ABC that the bar will at some point have close to 1000lbs on it for the squat.

ABC were 100% certain that thier bars would not whip around with that sort of weight, and they assured me that the bar they would make me would handle 500kg, but due to the extra length it may reduce it's strength but not enough to cause problems. The bar cost $700.

I also requested a powerlifting knurling as opposed to a weightlifting knurling.

The bar arrived 2 months later, a whole month after the competition which the bar was needed for.

Bar finally arrives, the rings are so close together on the knurling I dont even know if it's the right knurling for a weightlifting bar? First set of squats with 60kg I knew the bar was shit!! At 220kg it was bending lke a banana, 260kg was probably the absolute limit regarding safety. Last night with 290kg it took me 10 seconds standing still for the bar to stop whipping around after my walk out, before I could squat, and during the squat I swear I took that whole 290kg about 6 -7 times on the negative. I'm game, but I won't ever do that again!

Not sure what went wrong with the order, I'm thinking it's a weightlifting bar, and he didnt take me seriously when I said how strong I needed it.

The competition which the bar was originally ordered for, went ahead with the use of a $200 bar from a health store in Hobart, it was altered by a few maintenence workers so that it was 60 inches between collars, which meant the sleeves were over hanging the actual bar. It handled a 390kg squat with no whip at all !

You should send them a video for proof, and ask for it to be done again, as per the original specs. I'd be annoyed if I just spent $700 and wasn't happy with the product..