• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to deadlift

I like Spritcha, despite his meltdown he isn't afraid to bring the lulz and he is still very helpful
Kinda like you Gooby

Seriously though- I disagree with him but there is no point trying to explain why. He will apply his weird fractal logic, cite some imaginary statements from dreamland and the discussion slides into a ridiculous debate.

Seriously though- I disagree with him but there is no point trying to explain why. He will apply his weird fractal logic, cite some imaginary statements from dreamland and the discussion slides into a ridiculous debate.

"dont argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to your level and beat you with experience"

Found this interesting

How to deadlift by Mark Bell - YouTube

What do you guys think of the different styles? Seems even the pros round their back.

OK, someone please help me out here.
Until last Monday when I first saw a footage about my deadlift, I thought that I do it in a correct way. After watching the video I think that my form is terrible and I need serious development on that (I start with hips too high and because of it my balance is in the front). And what can I see here? The first person in this video, Christian at 4:10 lifts in the same sloppy style like me. Many others' form is very similar and far away from the 'school form'.

The question is if I can progress this way further (like many of them did) or my form carries certain limitations so I have to learn and switch to the 'proper style'. As I said, I felt ok until I saw my video. :confused:

OK, someone please help me out here.
Until last Monday when I first saw a footage about my deadlift, I thought that I do it in a correct way. After watching the video I think that my form is terrible and I need serious development on that (I start with hips too high and because of it my balance is in the front). And what can I see here? The first person in this video, Christian at 4:10 lifts in the same sloppy style like me. Many others' form is very similar and far away from the 'school form'.

The question is if I can progress this way further (like many of them did) or my form carries certain limitations so I have to learn and switch to the 'proper style'. As I said, I felt ok until I saw my video. :confused:

Sure, you can progress with the worst form in the world. Take it from someone who's been there but that you're better off fixing your form now rather than later...

I have a question about the deadlift setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
In the latter part of this video, Ripp instructs the person to drop the hips until the shins touch the bar and then stop. Then squeeze the chest up and pull. Which is fine, but I noticed that when the baldy squeezed his chest up, his hips dropped by quite a few centimeres. Wouldn't this push the shins out and hence nudge the bar out of position? Thats what happens to me if my hips move during the setup when my shins are in contact with the bar already.

In other words, shouldn't the hips stay put when the chest is pulled up? Or how else is it supposed to be done, I sure as heck can't work out what's happening here.

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube
In the latter part of this video, Ripp instructs the person to drop the hips until the shins touch the bar and then stop. Then squeeze the chest up and pull. Which is fine, but I noticed that when the baldy squeezed his chest up, his hips dropped by quite a few centimeres. Wouldn't this push the shins out and hence nudge the bar out of position? Thats what happens to me if my hips move during the setup when my shins are in contact with the bar already.

In other words, shouldn't the hips stay put when the chest is pulled up? Or how else is it supposed to be done, I sure as heck can't work out what's happening here.

I don't see an issue there Jungman
As with any lift, you set up how it works for you not how it looks for someone else.

Last edited:
I don't see an issue there Jungman
As with any lift, you set up how it works for you not how it looks for someone else.

The issue is I don't know how this guy could've drop his hips further without nudging and moving the bar out of position. Which would defeat the purpose of precisely setting the bar midfoot as Ripp emphasised rather lengthily in the beginning of the video.

When I tighten my chest up ready for the pull, my hips don't move at all. So watching this video made me wonder if I have been doing it wrong.

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube

He could simply be moving his hips and thus COG backwards.

But really what you're seeing here is the first 2 minutes and a single rep of Rip teaching someone who is weak enough that they cannot use 60kg for form work in the deadlift. It's quite possible in the day or half day, whatever it is, that Rip spends instructing the lifts at his seminar Rip told that guy not to drop his hips when he sticks his chest up.