• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I want some answers

While doing the begginners program and seeing the benefits, my coach then wants me to cut weight everytime i fight at around 8kg-10kgs, how will this affect me in the ring when im 10kgs lighter?
will i be weaker aswell since my reduction in BW?

Let's put it this way; a skilled fighter will more often than not out box a heavier (stronger) less skilled one.

What do you think?

A good exercise template is designed to help reduce injury in the ring by increasing flexibility of the muscles being used thus increasing ones strength.

How one throws a punch and moves and anticipates the opponent is improved through practice, practice, practice.

What do you weigh?

Any loss of a large percentage of bodyweight will negatively affect your strength but as long as you are still stronger than your opponent then it doesn't matter. I would assume some of this is pre weigh in dehydration etc too so you can get some weight back by fight night.

You often hear the UFC commentators talking about XYZ fighter who's gone through a severe cut before the fight, and the detrimental effect this may have on his health and performance.

If I was one of those fighters I'd be working out what weight I wanted to fight at over the medium term and gradually get my body composition to the point where I only need to cut a couple of kgs before a fight, rather than this 8-10kg bullshit. That can't be good for you...the body needs to adjust gradually.

I agree with Andy's comment re skill > strength for a fighter. Strength is obviously a good advantage, but it's nothing without the skill. Anderson Silva is the best MMA fighter going around ATM, but he'd hardly rate a mention if you're talking about the strongest fighters. The guy is just all skill.

You often hear the UFC commentators talking about XYZ fighter who's gone through a severe cut before the fight, and the detrimental effect this may have on his health and performance.

If I was one of those fighters I'd be working out what weight I wanted to fight at over the medium term and gradually get my body composition to the point where I only need to cut a couple of kgs before a fight, rather than this 8-10kg bullshit. That can't be good for you...the body needs to adjust gradually.

I agree with Andy's comment re skill > strength for a fighter. Strength is obviously a good advantage, but it's nothing without the skill. Anderson Silva is the best MMA fighter going around ATM, but he'd hardly rate a mention if you're talking about the strongest fighters. The guy is just all skill.

He likes to dance whilst people are punching at him. Poor guy is so bored.

I doubt mr MMA here is dropping that much weight for a weigh in. Well I hope not anyways.

DKD: Silva actually cuts a fair bit of weight still. They all do, it's a competitive advantage. Until you go too far like Thiago Alves and the cut affects their cardio ability a great deal.

I wouldn't want to be cutting that much weight. Diet down smartly in the lead up to the fight and it won't need to be so drastic.

Yeah Silva is a large middleweight and has fought very well at light heavyweight.....he made Forest Griffin run out of the cage like a crying school girl lol.

The dream fight I'd love to see is Silva vs Jon Jones at Light Heavyweight.

Cutting that much weight sub-100kg will get you murdered.

At 90kg I can drop 5-7kg with almost zero negative effects when I lift.
That said, I have 24hour weigh ins, so that's a massive advantage.

I'm trying a new water loading method (I normally sauna) because I have to weigh in tomorrow morning, same day as a comp, and
1- don't have acsess to a sauna at the event
2- the new method isn't meant to affect strength at all.

I was actually going to start a thread at the start of this week about how it's all going but didn't get time.

Rule of thumb though, if you lose more than 5% of your weight, and don't have 24 hour weigh ins, chances are your going to perform sub par.

my coach would like me to fight at 62kgs.
but im not sure when the fight would be scheduled cause we have alot of guys about to fight between now and xmas so they come first atm.

Disregarding eating disorders, I just think at that size and height he will get rag dolled by wrestlers and BJJ guys.

What strength/conditioning (if any) do you do?