• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

idea of drug tested gyms

What then constitutes a "Gym"? Boxing Gym, Girly gym like Fernwwod, Commercial Gym, MMA or Kickboxing Gym. Gyms at workplaces and Hotels.
Really, it's preposterous.

I am ok with any effective strategy to deal with the use of illegal PEDs in any gym and fed. This would include all registered sporting feds, and all types of gyms (boxing, fitness, crossfit, weights and so on).

I don't how it works in Sweden, so will not comment on street testing.

Last edited:
Why stop at gyms

I propose that Anti doping agencies could collaborate with law enforcement to implement...

RST - random strength testing units - a driver or pedestrian is forced to take a chin up test, anything over 8 and they are deemed too strong to have performed the chin ups naturally, therefore they must be taking steroids.

RHT - random hypertrophy testing units - a driver or pedestrian is forced to have their biceps measured, anything over 15.5" for men and 14.5" for women and they are deemed too big to have been obtained naturally, therefore they must be taking steroids.

ok, why not.

On a serious note, I think schools is another category to be tested given increasing incidence of use; already happening in some US states.

If schools, then why not gyms?

OP no disrespect intended but the stuff you are saying makes it look like you have a personal vendetta against people using steroids... can I ask why? Do these people affect you directly in your life in any way? Do they cause your training experience at the gym to be less effective in some way? Serious questions

I jest a bit, but I do support some testing in wider society. It is a difficult one for a whole lot of reasons, but I believe there are important reasons not to let drug use go unabated, including health issues.

It is not personal, just my preference having been involved in the sporting and gym scene for over 30 years. I know quite a few people who take drugs; they are all appear pretty good people, although I only know a few very well these days.

I am going to leave it at that.

Last edited:
Spartacus I have yet to see you cover the benefits to the public/society from such policies yet - only you dodging the question because you would apparently piss people off. Without this information you are pretty much trolling, I would very much appreciate you actually participating instead of simply fanning the flames. Obviously there are some passionate opinions, but I would like to hear why you believe this should be implemented/what benefits there supposedly are despite disagreeing with you.

As someone who does not use I do not care if someone else does. I have friends who do, doesn't affect me one bit. I believe that provided someones actions do not harm another, they can do what they want (including steroids!).

If I were competing, I would not care if a competitor was using - drug tested does not necessarily mean drug free, no matter the sport. I would hope that the measures in place would catch those breaching the rules, but understanding the limitations due to funding and whatever else I go into it with eyes open.

moons, I will not go into my reasons why my article focuses on powerlifting; why because I know some of the forum members will be angry because of the sentiment I express.

As for other reasons, I think they are pretty obvious: read the attached documents - health, young people not knowing what they are doing, and the fact that some of us /(perhaps not on this site) may prefer to train in an environment free of illegal PED use for a number of reasons.

Another reason is my belief that similar standards should apply to all, not just official athletes, especially when gyms may be a major distribution point.

To be honest, I just wanted to know the attitude by forum members to what is happening in other countries. I got my answer. Nothing said here has changed my mind, just as I have not changed the minds of forum members.

Last edited:
I disagree with this concept for all the reasons provided by other members above. I won't go into those again.

Spartacus you have mentioned public attitudes driving this program and you have indicated that a survey of the public should provide the mandate to implement it. The problem that I have with this approach is that the public are largely ignorant of the subject and the associated issues. Most people have based their opinion of PEDS from tv shows like Law & Order. Is that really supposed to be the basis for decision making?

Democracy has some very serious limitations and letting ignorant majorities be lead into poor decisions is right up there.

I have no doubt your survey will produce the information that you expect but that does not make it right. Ask the kindy class about the tooth fairy and see what you get. Public policy must be based on logic and information not fear and ignorance.

Has this been implemented anywhere before? Apart from the obvious federations.
You would think there would be to much red tape to get this enforced.
Its not like you are drink driving and putting lives at danger where the law enforces a breath or blood tests.

From what I have read,

Denmark is well known in Europe and especially Scandanavian countries as the Steroid manufacturing and distribution hub. Small to big Deals are often done in Gym's in plain site. The surrounding countries track all their steroids back to Denmark and are pressuring Denmark to do something about it.

So why Australia?

what are the usage stats for AAS in Australia?

for illicit drugs, about 40% of Aussies have used, and at any one time 15% are current users
i'd argue that for a fair proportion, illicit drug use is not socially unacceptable.. ie, many people don't mind, but depends on what class of drug, eg spliff vs heroin

why would AAS/PED use be any more socially unacceptable?

Other Drugs | Australian Crime Commission.
reckons only 0.1% of population use illicit AAS (1% were offered or had access) (based on self reporting)

would a gym test to reduce self harm? reduce illegal activity? improve atmosphere for all users? reduce number of needles left in toilets?

My mate in Denmark did a cycle and got busted when he competed in a IWF sanctioned comp
The gyms don't drug test there but as he got busted in comp he was banned from practically every commercial gym in Denmark lol

Would fucking suck, I'd never train in a place that enforced this. How holier than thou can you get

My mate in Denmark did a cycle and got busted when he competed in a IWF sanctioned comp
The gyms don't drug test there but as he got busted in comp he was banned from practically every commercial gym in Denmark lol

Would fucking suck, I'd never train in a place that enforced this. How holier than thou can you get

I dunno; I might not have anything against people who want to use PEDs but cheating in a competition, I don't have a lot of sympathy for... I can understand gyms wanting to send a message in that respect.

Well the problem stems from there being no weightlifting feds for people that want to use drugs