• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

If Lifting Wasn't Your First Sport, What Was?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
1. What sport(s) did you play growing up?
2. How much of an influence did your athletic background play in your own lifting career (if any)? Have you found a carryover from your sport to lifting?
3. Would you consider yourself more successful in your previous athletic endeavors or your current lifting?

When I was growing up did Judo and goto Brown belt before giving it away in late high school, played Football (Aussie Rules) since I was 8 till about 7yrs ago when I did my right knee and had a to have a full reco then came back and did it again, so gave it away else I think I would still be playing, and much the same for Cricket I played since I was 8 and gave it away about the same time as I did my knee, just couldn't be bothered with cricket, plus now having kids it makes it a bit harder to find the time...

I think over all the discipline from martial arts and training for footy certainly helps in the gym and in some ways you already know how far you can be pushed and push yourself.

Lets see...

1) Soccer till i was 10
2) Hockey straight after until i was 18
3) Traditional Karate for about 5 years till i was 24?
4) Surf Boat rowing for a couple of years
5) Body building on and off till i was 27
)6 Then one huge break where i got fat

But it was around the time i was doing surf boats i realised my strength was lacking, and i needed to shed some fat so went pretty hard at the gym and it paid off good.

Had no endurance but that was not news to me, i loved the sprints

Last edited:
Volleyball.
being 5'10" I needed to jump higher.
so needed bigger legs
so did squats
then noticed other lifting = other muscles.
then got to the stage where body weight increase no longer = higher jumps
then got shoulder issues from years of spiking
then left volleyball and just continued lifting.

When I was growing up did Judo and goto Brown belt before giving it away in late high school, played Football (Aussie Rules) since I was 8 till about 7yrs ago when I did my right knee and had a to have a full reco then came back and did it again, so gave it away else I think I would still be playing, and much the same for Cricket I played since I was 8 and gave it away about the same time as I did my knee, just couldn't be bothered with cricket, plus now having kids it makes it a bit harder to find the time...

I think over all the discipline from martial arts and training for footy certainly helps in the gym and in some ways you already know how far you can be pushed and push yourself.

KFG would Kata Guruma the shit out of you.

1) afl, basketball and cricket.
2) bugger all I was sitting on my ass for about 6 years
3) far more successful at lifting and I have since started playing basketball again with far better results.

Played hockey first and was actually pretty good at it but like everything else I got bored. Also played basketball, soft ball, tae kwon do. As an adult jiu jitsu and rugby.

Lifting made rugby more fun. Work dried up around here so most the players went elsewhere so now I just lift.

1. catching flies and eating them
2. extra protein probably gave me growth spurt from 0-18 months of age.
3. I was better at catching flies

1. Golf, footy and baseball
2. My shoulders fucked from baseball and my backs fucked from golf. No real lasting injuries from kicking a football around in an organised manner though.
3. Fuck no, l suck at lifting in general and really suck compared to my baseball / golf skills. KFG is no where near as good now as he was at golf but l'd still be good for a 70 odd on most courses. Usually good for an even par round and my local though, l can drive 3 par 4's which helps and no par 5 isnt pretty easily reachable in 2.

1. Footy and basketball, stopped footy at 17, still going with basketball.
2. Jump and speed has improved massively since started lifting
3. I like eating frozen banana

Long distance runner. I got to state level but my parents complained I was churning through shoes faster than they could afford to replace them.
More successful in lifting.