• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

iifym approach

I agree with the approach and understand the links/studies on topic.
One part hasnt clicked for me though... If your chosen ratios are such that you could live solely on mars bars and protein shakes, why dont we? If its because of micros - at what point does iifym become iifym&m ?

I agree with the approach and understand the links/studies on topic.
One part hasnt clicked for me though... If your chosen ratios are such that you could live solely on mars bars and protein shakes, why dont we? If its because of micros - at what point does iifym become iifym&m ?

Yep micros. You still need a range of different food. Really you could for a few days, weeks even on just eat protein shakes and mars bars because micro deficiencies take a long time to surface but over time you want to get in a range of different food.

I suppose you dont say iifm&m because it sounds shit but also you can't really measure micros. Just have have a range of foods and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys, very intersting.

Could someone please link me to the evidence that shows this approach from a bodybuilding standpoint that bazza said were somewhere on the forum, I have been searching but can not find, only general studies from the general public point of view.

Yep micros. You still need a range of different food. Really you could for a few days, weeks even on just eat protein shakes and mars bars because micro deficiencies take a long time to surface but over time you want to get in a range of different food.

I suppose you dont say iifm&m because it sounds shit but also you can't really measure micros. Just have have a range of foods and you'll be fine.

bazza could u please link me the threads/posts u stated were on the forum as i am unable to find them, cheers mate.

You seem confused. IIFYM is not intermittent fasting. IIFYM is also not about pigging out on junk food ONLY. Keep reading.

re icecream vs steak: it's IIFY MACROS, not IIFY CALORIES. That is, if you are low on protein for the day then CLEARLY the steak is the option. If you have met you're protein & fat targets then eat whatever you want.

wingman: iifym is always including micronutrients. Positive physique changes =/= health. You'd have to be pretty stupid to neglect you're health totally. It's basically assumed that people aren't that stupid. (maybe too presumptuous)

Bigman: can you please link me to the studies that show that you must eat "clean" foods to achieve the physique you are after. I have been searching but can not find, only general studies from the general public point of view.

Bigman: can you please link me to the studies that show that you must eat "clean" foods to achieve the physique you are after. I have been searching but can not find, only general studies from the general public point of view.

I see what you did there...

i never said you have to eat clean all the time, iam interested in using aspects of iifym, but i was looking for evidence, scientific or real world to get a better understanding of how a bodybuilder could approach this way of dieting to draw the best possible results. i guess real world evidence for thw typical way of eating would to just look at most bodybuilders and athlets, that would show u evidence to positively support that way of eating. I was simply asking for some evidence be that scientitfic or real world so i can get a better understanding of how iifym is approached from a bodybuilding standpoint. thanks mate!

You seen Ronnie Coleman eat chicken? Freaking half a bottle of BBQ sauce per meal.

Go to Max Brenners blog he has a whole 11 blog posts with lots of links to research articles. That should tide you over.

You seen Ronnie Coleman eat chicken? Freaking half a bottle of BBQ sauce per meal.

Go to Max Brenners blog he has a whole 11 blog posts with lots of links to research articles. That should tide you over.

so ronnie coleman was an advocate of iifym?

thanks mate, i will have a look at his articles, sorry to make a stir i was simply trying to see how best this fits into a bodybuilding style diet, i guess the typical way of eating has been proven to work time and time again, i just want to see how this fits in and how i can use it to draw the same results as i have with a typical bodybuilding style diet. thanks fellas.

Unless you are a probuilder on dat dere celltech, what Ronnie Coleman eats has SFA relevance to what you eat.

I didn't read any of the posts in this thread because I don't respect any of you but iifym is a good approach.

OP, Keep things simple.

IIFYM vs 100% Clean eating is not something that will have any science behind it. All science is done on the actual nutrients and their effects on human physiology and performance. The food type is irrelevant as the body only ''sees'' the nutrients. Only our eyes see the food type...

All food types have different values in terms of micro and macro balances and the density of them etc.

Meeting your macronutrient requirements for both body composition and health can be done with a variety of food types regardless of density of micro's. Simply for health, being deficient in micro's takes an extremely long time without access to food and water in general. Look at the populations in Africa who live in 3rd world conditions and live in a malnurioushed state but they still have a life span of 30 years.

To meet your macro's you will by default be consuming a varity foods that have high micro nutrient densities and all that anyone needs to understand is COMMON SENSE sould be used anyways....I think that is the point everyone forgets, is people who follow IIFYM use common sense, yet people who follow the 100% seem to not use any......

Last edited:
Please show me the scientific evidence to support these claims.

I think these new ideas and philosophies are fantastic for the sport of bodybuilding but we need evidence, real world mostly to support these claims and to show it works, so we arnt wasting peoples time in the gym,

Seriously I am a very patient man and have read your posts with interest as well as amusement since you have come here.

First you argue that lifting heavy has no bearing on muscle development, and now you tell us that eating to your bodies needs requires some scientific evidence to be proven.

You seem to fighting common sense and over compacting things.

It has been scientifically shown that your body requires about (as a basic guide) 2 grams of protein and 0.85 gram of fat per kilogram of body weight daily this is to ensure that enough protein is available for muscle repair and growth, and enough fat to maintain normal hormonal function. Now depending on your daily calorie requirement you can work out your basic macro requirements for the day or week or month. So once you have met your daily minimum requirements as mentioned above the rest of the calories can be made up of what ever you like, and yes in extreme cases Pizza, Ice Cream, Burgers, etc as long as it fits into your macros, considering these foods still contain Protein, fats and carbs. Your body will not know the difference, it does not care if the calories come from WPI, steak, chicken, pizza etc, it just sees the macros that you consume where they come from does not matter the slightest, but you will find to meet there macros you will have to eat a balance diet 90% of the time anyway, you need meat, veggies, salad, fats etc etc

Consider that
1 gram of protein contains 4 calories
1 gram of fat contains 9 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories

To translate that into a sample 2500 calorie diet with a 40/40/20 percent ratio, 250 grams of carbs equals 1000 calories, 111 grams of fat equals 1000 calories and 125 grams of carbohydrates equals 500 calories, making a total of 2500 calories.

Or break the ratios up to suit your own personal needs and believes, eat as many or as few meals a day as you like and eat what ever you like as long as all you needs are met with what you are eating.

So common sense is required, 1kg of ice cream followed by Mars bars and soft drinks is not what it's all about, but no need to sit there sulking chewing a lettuce leaf while all your mates are at Maccas, you can still have a cheese burger or whatever and not turn into a biggest loser contestant instantly.

It's what you do 90% of the time is what matters, the other 10% is open to play.

Now stop arguing common sense, get in the gym and start lifting heavy iron, and lift more each time you walk into the gym and eat your macros and watch what happens, this will be your evidence.

PS These are NOT new ideas and philosophies, this is just common sense:)

Last edited:
hey mate, i never said u shouldnt be lifting heavy or that heavy lifting does not have a direct devlopment of muscle growth. i simply said that bench, squat and deadlift numbers have no real reflection on how a person looks or how devloped their physique would be. So i am sorry u misread my posts on the matter.

Again i said in my posts in this thread that the iifym approach is a common sense approach to eating when it comes to the general public, i was simply looking for examples or evidence to show how BODYBUILDERS approach this and look at examples of bodybilders who have used this seeing as though that is my focus.

I have to somewhat disagree with u that it is not a new approach to dieting in bodybuilding circles, i think it goes agaisnt the grain and is a very new way of looking at things. As i stated though no it is not a new approach dor the general public, it should be common sense, but saying that, thats not what the op was about, it was about this approach from a bodybuilding/athlete point of view.