• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I'm quitting

TTT

.... 1rms

sick of the same injuries.

Never going to compete anyway so why bother.

week 9 of PPP (again) and once again when it comes to the 1 rep lifts at weights which are about 10kg less than the new 1rm you are going for this time around, I fucking end up hurting either neck, hip, lower back or knee.

wether I warm up, or stretch or eat more or less it's always the same.

Still want to train to get stronger but might stick to reps of 5 or 3 as a minimum.

So frustrating...
I'm 34 and really, don't have time to be injured so it might be best to not try to keep up... so to speak.

thinking of taking a week off then going back to SS novice program where it's pretty much 3 sets of 5 of most things, 3 times a week.

what other programming options are out there for me?

Do you have a coach watching your form or are you training alone?

Same for you kindred, if squats are fucking your knees then something is wrong.

5/3/1 was written mainly for the non-competitive average joe. No 1RM testing unless you feel like it. Just work from a calculated max. Look into it.

I train alone.
My knee doesn't always hurt, but coming towards the weight I use for 1rm (max has been 165kg) It will start to get tender during, then hurt for a few days..

I occasionally video sets..
They look identical when I use 100kg for 20 reps or 150-165 for 1rms.

Oli - you seem to be speaking fro experience..

Freako - I have the template for 5/3/1 so will look into it.
Figure I could do SS for a few months before getting stuck on the weights.
That would give me a good starting point to calculate what my maxes are (since he seems to calculate them off your current 5 or 3 reps if I remember correctly)

and no to drugs mmkaay..

You can calculate them off anything up to 10 I think, of course the smaller the rep number the more accurate it will be.

weight x reps x 0.0333 + weight= estimated 1rm.

Have you got the 5/3/1 e-book?

You can calculate them off anything up to 10 I think, of course the smaller the rep number the more accurate it will be.

weight x reps x 0.0333 + weight= estimated 1rm.

Have you got the 5/3/1 e-book?
or you could just do a 1rm? :D

If you find yourself a moderate in politics, smoke weed but avoid the hard stuff, and get referred to as a "good neighbor", 5/3/1 is right up your alley.

Stop stressing mate , get over the injury and just keep lifting 1rm , 531 , abc wotever ???

Enjoy lifting/training the rest will follow , most will never be happy with body, 1rm or the color of there hair,

But your lifting, thats good.

Recover and enjoy , fu#k the guy that can dead 10kgs more than you......

You're right that if not competing there's little reason to test 1RM. The one reason might be if your lifts are quite high, you might need 1RMs to plan your progression. That sort of periodisation is beyond what I work with, though, so I don't comment on it.

What I would say is that it's not 1RMs as such that cause injury, but maximal efforts - of however many reps. The maximal effort leads to a degradation of form which leads to injury, or else the maximal effort affects some tissue which was already weakened by your previous activities, injuries or background.

I don't see how anyone can progress without consistent efforts over time. And from time to time, some of those efforts will have to be maximal. I simply don't see how you can progress without at some point going, "fuuuu...." during a rep - those reps where you know you'll complete it if you push, but the next rep would fail.

So a certain amount of risk, I think, is inevitable. All you can do is minimise it, and decide whether the risk of injury is worth the rewards - so it's good you're considering it against competition, weighing things up like that.

Freako - yeah I've got the e-book.
also the link Nick posted with the template/calculator for it is around too.

Kyle - you're right.. consistent efforts over time.. I just feel that for me, to have consistency, I need to be out of action less.
so SS novice program or 5/3/1 may be more suited to me.
or I might get injured doing that if I have an off day... lol

we'll see.

keep lifting brother... when they stick a artificial limb on ya body then its time to throwit away .. until then.. keep breaking a leg and she will grow back.