• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

In a rut more carbs?

thechosenone

So my lifts have been going up really slowly the past month my deadlift is 160 x 5 reps , bench 85 x 5 , squat 110 x 5 anyway i looked on the bodybuilding website and looked at the calculaters and it said for my weight i have to consume 450g to 600g a day of carbs im only probly taking 400g a day. The thing is im already getting a bit of a gut on me and more carbs is only gonna make it worse. I guess my question is, Is not getting enough carbs the source of my problem , cause i know im having enough protein

Acquire more OVERALL CALORIES. Disregard 'Brodybuilding' websites.

Have you calculated your REQUIRE calorie intake and worked out your CURRENT marconutirent and calorie intake?

You do know that making the exact level of progression each month is extremely difficult at the best of times.

Just because it is 'slow' doesn't mean things are not right. With that said, correct nutrition to support training progression and physical adaptations will always help.

Start simply with 40 cals/kg and ensure you are consuming MINIMUM essential macronutrient 2g/kg of protein and 0.8g/kg of fats. Get the rest of the calories all from carbs if you wish. After 2 weeks adjust calories up or down by 10% depending on progress.

FYI calories per GRAM - protein = 4 calories, carbohydrates = 4 calories and fat = 9 calories.

So my lifts have been going up really slowly the past month my deadlift is 160 x 5 reps , bench 85 x 5 , squat 1e0 x 5 anyway i looked on the bodybuilding website and looked at the calculaters and it said for my weight i have to consume 450g to 600g a day of carbs im only probly taking 400g a day. The thing is im already getting a bit of a gut on me and more carbs is only gonna make it worse. I guess my question is, Is not getting enough carbs the source of my problem , cause i know im having enough protein
Has anyone mentioned sleep yet... proper/restful sleep that is?

Fadi.

From what I've read and takin in so far in my own journey, your ratio's sound about right. I will second Fadi on rest, but I will also throw this in: How is your general state of conditioning?, what i mean is how is your general physical preparedness? I may be way off track but I found that when I added 2 sessions of HIIT on my off days, my numbers and general ability to attack the weights went through the roof. I have been doing burpees and tyre sled sprint drags for 2 sessions of about 5min. So it takes me only 10min in the off day to comit to it and I have found that my general conditioning is alot stronger enabling me to go harder in the gym. I think your having plenty of carbs, I might be wrong, but 400g a day is pretty high.