• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Injuries in sport

What do you think of this statement?

Hamstrings used as an example do you think this general train of thought is considered in pro sport?

Up to this point in time, most of the attention given to exercise has been for the purpose of increasing functional ability... hoping for increases in strength or speed, or both, and exercise is certainly capable of producing such results; very worthwhile results that will improve the performance of any athlete in any sport... but exercise can (and should) produce these increases in functional ability while simultaneously reducing the chances of injury.

Exercise can help prevent injuries... and exercise should help prevent injuries; but in practice, it sometimes causes injuries... causes injuries in one or both of two ways.

Training injuries are usually obvious. The cause and effect are so closely related that the fault is apparent... if, for example, a muscle is pulled while performing an exercise, then the blame is easy to place; but indirect injuries are not so easy to see, and may easily be blamed on something else.

If, for example, a hamstring is pulled during a football game, then it may not occur to the coach that the real fault exists in the weight room and not on the field.

Hamstring pulls can, and frequently do, result from an improper program of exercise. If the muscles of the frontal thigh are greatly strengthened while little or no attention is given to training the rear of the thigh, then you are literally asking for trouble.

Or, if the strength of the hamstrings is increased while nothing is done for the flexibility, then again you are asking for trouble.

In the first instance (no exercise for the hamstrings), the muscles of the frontal thigh may become so strong that they are capable of producing a force which exceeds the structural integrity of the hamstrings... in which case, the hamstrings may be torn loose from their connective tissue, or a rupture of the muscle itself may result.

In the second case (strength but no flexibility in the hamstrings), an encountered force may pull the hamstrings beyond its possible range of movement... with the same result, damage to the connective tissue or the muscle itself, or both.

Such injuries (and a long list of other possible injuries) should properly be blamed on a poor exercise program... but they seldom are, because most of these injuries do not occur in the weight room; do not occur until later... at which point the cause and effect situation is no longer obvious.

An exercise program should be balanced... the strength of the muscles on both sides of all joints should be increased in proportion. And full range exercises should be used in order to insure great flexibility.

From what I see at footy it mostly just comes down to the hamstrings are not strong enough.

I don't think flexibility or quad strength has a lot to do with it. No one is quad dominant its just a cop out by people they just have weak hamstrings.

Flexibility, well sprinting doesn't really test the extremes of ROM anyway, blokes that stretch religiously still get plenty of hammy pulls.

Look at footy players they are all naturally pretty fast and explosive, that's why they are playing footy. Not many do any sort of decent weights program but due to their natural explosiveness they can put a heap of stress through the hams. Without strengthening of the hams they can be vulnerable especially in explosive people.

I like this sentence

if, for example, a muscle is pulled while performing an exercise, then the blame is easy to place; but indirect injuries are not so easy to see, and may easily be blamed on something else.

From what I see at footy it mostly just comes down to the hamstrings are not strong enough.

I don't think flexibility or quad strength has a lot to do with it. No one is quad dominant its just a cop out by people they just have weak hamstrings.

I'm pretty confidant We all here know how important ham strength is, as we talk about it often, more than any other place I visit which is pretty cool.

You know...how often, do you see someone work there hamstring to the same degree and intensity as their quad?

Id back it in, Not very often.

The can be a lot of other examples.

You see a lot of heavy benchers tare pecs.
I wonder if there was more attention paid to strengthening the pec with specific exercise?

Bicep tares....and so-on.

What do you think.

I'm pretty confidant We all here know how important ham strength is, as we talk about it often, more than any other place I visit which is pretty cool.

You know...how often, do you see someone work there hamstring to the same degree and intensity as their quad?

Id back it in, Not very often.

The can be a lot of other examples.

You see a lot of heavy benchers tare pecs.
I wonder if there was more attention paid to strengthening the pec with specific exercise?

Bicep tares....and so-on.

What do you think.

I agree most people with powerlifters being the exception train the quads more than the hams.

I just don't think quads being too strong is an issue for hammy pulls. Training the quads is fine. Strong quads help acceleration. I just think its weak hams being a risk factor for ham pulls rather than strong quads having anything to do with it.

Had a bloke at footy training tell me his quads were too strong that's why he pulled his hammy. His legs were like tooth picks, how the hell does he actually believe is quads are too strong.

Speaking of hamstring tears, i recently tore mine going for a sprint. It's the second time its happened. Getting physio on it and waiting for it to heal before i can commence gentle exercises.
I agree it's due to a lack of strength in the hamstrings but what do you guys recommend to make it stronger? I don't think stiff leg deadlifts are enough.

Single leg RDL, single leg GM, GHR, pull throughs, stiff leg KB swings, sled dragging, quadrupled hip extensions/glute press, elevated hip thrusters/glute bridges