• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Input please.

Yeeons

I’ve been a lurker on ausbb for about 6 months. I found it a great place to find information about different training styles even though i didn’t want to be a strength builder or a body builder.

My main goal is to get fitness up and enjoy all the benefits that come with it ie health, things like strength and being cut would be nice but fitness is the first thing i would like to aim for.

I know theirs a lot of beginner guides but half of them have things like dead lifts etc which need a bar or more weights than what i own. (Plus i do most of my work outs at a park that have chin-up bars which is a 15min walk away so bringing more weights would be murder).

My work out so far.
(The reps i do for this work out is a degrading one ie 6 then 5 then 4 then 3 etc)

1. Sprints 3x 50m with 3x50 jogs in between. (1 min rest)

2. Burpees with chin up (theres no jump just using upper body to pull up) 6 down (6 then 5 then 4 etc as explained above) after each set i put in a 30 metre jog/sprint depending on how puffed i am.

3. Crunches with woodchop(with dumbbell) 7 down (crunches start at 12 down and finish with woodchops get to zero) (woodchop video youtube.com/watch?v=FkhATg1-b9g&feature=related

4. Hanging knee raises with Tricep dips 7 down (Hanging knee raises start at 12 then 10 then 8 etc) then 30 metre jog/sprint per set.

5. Dumbell Thrusters with Leg raises 6 down then 30 metre jog/sprint per set.

The dumbells are 3kg each which as slowly been increasing. Each work out has a 1 min rest inbetween.

Most of the work out i try and use my own body weight and only really incorporated the weights cause the part of the work out was too easy. Also most of this is based on stuff I’ve read here and other forums so hopefully i haven’t mashed them all together and stuff it up.

The input I’m looking for is pritty much anything from, “am i missing a part of the body with this work out?” to “am i doing it all wrong?”.

Other info
I do this thursday and saturday with 100 burpees on monday, martial arts on tuesday / fridays (very peaceful martial art though so not really a workout) with swimming on wed or 7-10k run.

Would like recommendations to remember i don’t have a bar only dumbells and would prefer to keep it at the park so excess weights are only going to make me cry in pain after walking them to the park.

You want to be "fit" for what?

Just keep in mind that if some is good more is not better.

While doing hill sprints I worked myself too much, overtrained.
I realised I first have to be in shape to get in shape.

Very true. To be fit, ya've got to get fit.

i'm playing around with some serious hard core HIT cardio right now...and finding out that i'm not quite as 'fit' as i initially estimated. I'm not tooo bad tho

I have been saying this so often that I'm now preparing a pdf summarising it all, fire me an email for a copy. But basically,

Strength
- do 20 bodyweight squats
- 15 bodyweight inverted rows
- 10 bodyweight pushups

do that 3 times a week. Just aim at the total, don't worry if your 10 pushups are 10 in one go, or 5,4,1 or 1,1, etc.

In the second week, add 8 squats, 6 inverted rows, and 4 pushups. Keep doing that for a total of 12 weeks, after which you will have a total of 100 squats, 75 inverted rows, and 50 pushups.

Again, it's the total you're after. Push for the total and the "doing in a row" will come, eg if you can do 40 pushups total you can probably do 20 in one go.

For cardio, in the first week walk 1km after your strength workout. In the second, add 1km. After six weeks you'll be walking 6km. Walk at a brisk pace where you're just beginning to raise a sweat.

In the seventh week, jog 1km. It's no race, but you must not walk or stop, you must jog/run the whole way. Add 1km each week, so that in week 12 you're running 6km.

It's best to do this after the strength workout, but if you're limited by time, you can do the strength on one day and the cardio the next.

If you can do more pushups, runs, etc now than the first or even fourth week of this programme, don't worry, just do it anyway - the important thing is to get into the habit of exercise.

As for diet, eat LOTS of fresh fruit and vegies, LOTS of nuts and beans, and at least one of meat, fish or dairy every day. Add starchy stuff (rice, pasta, bread, spuds) for energy.

Over 12 weeks you will develop a good base of strength and fitness, you will feel more energetic, and so on. Use those 3 months to look for a good gym, save up for more weights and plates, find a good trainer or training partner, whatever suits you. Once you can do all these things you may have a better idea of longer-term goals, maybe you will want to be stronger still, or a bodybuilder, or get better for some sport, or whatever. If not, it's easy to maintain this level of strength and fitness.

6km/hr is a typical brisk walking pace. 8km/hr is an unfit person's jog, 12km/hr a fitter person. The strength workout is at most 20 minutes. And so we get,

Week 1, strength 20', cardio 10', total 30', 3/week
Week 6, strength 20', cardio 60', total 80', 3/week
Week 7, strength 20', cardio 5'-7'30", total 25'-27'30", 3/week
Week 12, strength 20', cardio 30'-45', total 50'-65', 3/week

in other words, on average about one hour three times a week. This is equal to or less than the time most regular gym-goers train. If you're not willing to spend a total of about three hours a week on improving your strength and fitness, you're not going to achieve much.

The guy already said he was working out in a park 15 minutes' walk away, and all the stuff he described would take at least half an hour, plus he already plans to run 7-10km, so he has demonstrated he's willing to spend the time, let's not insult him.

Last edited:
Alternativly you could bundle the two with a 3x3
- do *50 bodyweight squats
- *20 bodyweight inverted rows
- *15 bodyweight pushups

- do 20 bodyweight squats
- 15 bodyweight inverted rows
- 10 bodyweight pushups

- do 15 bodyweight squats
- 12 bodyweight inverted rows
- 8 bodyweight pushups

Going to failure on each exercise to the target if you can keep going go.
No stopping, no rest, a conditioned atlete could get this done in 12 minutes.

Adding weight as you advance.
The rows replaced with chin-ups
Pushups replaced with dips, add weight when you can

This is metabolic conditioning.

Gives you time to walk and enjoy life.

I am really curious about what has happened in your life in the past few months, PB, that has made you much more aggro with everyone here. Perhaps something for the off topic and venting thread? Let's not poo on this guy's wishes for helpful input.

Many benefits to strength training, metabolic conditioning intrigues me Fadi.

I'm all for improving one's limits rather then "pushing" one's limits. I do that by doing just enough (more frequently) instead of stepping the line with less frequency. This way of training has worked its magic in Olympic weightlifting and I'm presuming the same would apply to other sports also.

Silverback, give me your professional opinion on this Sir. Thank you.

Principles of Training 3

Fadi.

Thank you F.

It seems the term "amount of exercise" has always been confused with " intensty of effort"

you'll see a trainee add an exercise and increase the time rather than making it harder.

I think we need to work out the minimum amount required to garner results instead of finding out how much we can stand.

For sure. You could easily drive yourself into the ground using 10 exercises, doing 5 sets of 3, when you could just as easily allow stimulation with 4 exercises at a more sensible amount of volume/intensity

half an hour after completing an extremely *brutal workout one should feel as though they could do it again, you wouldn't of course, but a well conditioned trainee should feel this way if they are training correctly.

*a brutal workout is brief- no longer than around 30 minutes, after that your intensity of diminishes.

Thank you F.

It seems the term "amount of exercise" has always been confused with " intensty of effort"

I think we need to work out the minimum amount required to garner results instead of finding out how much we can stand.

Thanks for the reply; much appreciated.

Fadi.

Wow i had a couple of days away from this cause i thought nobody was biting.

In terms of fitness i agree with what most people have been saying, you have to be fit to do higher type fitness. And what i outlined wasn't just something i jumped into. I was mega unfit 1 year ago and i started with jogging 200 metres and walking 1k to what i out lined in my first post.

As for the cardio i was up to 10ks - 15ks with a 21k run just before i slowed it down for the summer (too hot in queensland) and replaced it with swimming. I also knocked it right back cause i found it was great for getting my fitness up but after a while i could just keep running for 1-2 hours and not really feel like it was doing anything extra fitness wise.

My goals is just fitness, this is the fitest ive ever been but i can feel in my body i can achieve more and with every week i try and notch it up a little more. But i allow my body do dictate if i can add an extra set or if i need the extra break.

How i made this routine was by pinching a bit here and a bit there from a heap of post on this forums and from just other research on the net. It just evolved this way.

My question is there bits i should replace or do different or are there bits i can change or are there things i should think about doing in the future and replace this altogether.

From the answers i see should i be doing more reps and less sets and dropping the runs/sprints? and dropping the 8 exerices and move to just 3?

half an hour after completing an extremely *brutal workout one should feel as though they could do it again, you wouldn't of course, but a well conditioned trainee should feel this way if they are training correctly.

*a brutal workout is brief- no longer than around 30 minutes, after that your intensity of diminishes.

Then later on in the day you feel like you have done nothing return the next day to do it again do it again and you have ****ed your cns.

Body is a strange thing sometimes its not always how you feel that determines the intensity of your workout. So its a double edged sword especialyl with ego.

Yeeons,

It helps if you have some very specific and achievable strength / fitness goals in mind.

Just "to get fit / strong" is very vague and won't get you there.

Come up with some feats of strength or fitness that you want to get to and work your way towards that.

i.e SMART goals:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely