• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intermittent Fasting

harry1970

Elegantly Wasted
Anyone tried it?

Thought, observations?

Been reading a bit on leangains.com and it seems like it could be very effective.

Seems totally different to the bulk/cut cycle.

It is not as fancy as many people make it out to be... basically by skipping breakfast (or selecting one day a week to abstain from food) you can make it easier to consume fewer calories in total and thus lose / maintain weight.

I have been following an intermittent fasting approach for a couple of months and have found it works for me. It sucks from 11am till midday every day, but outside of that I eat two big meals and have room to throw in extra protein shakes or snacks as I see fit.

So rather than being concerned about calorie intake all the time, I can just be hungry for an hour or so before lunch.

The entire leangains package is different to bulk/cut, intermittent fasting is just one aspect of said package.

Tried it, it's just cals in versus cals out though, I did it for a while, then moved to warrior diet, found it fucked me, could eat too much at once, never satisfied...

Now I just do breakfast lunch dinner, it did teach me that food timing doesn't matter

I think it's probably more useful if you have trouble watching your calories (although Berkhan does put forward some research to suggest that your metabolism increases when fasted).

For me, I'd rather just to breakfast lunch dinner and 2-3 snacks as it helps get through the work day (but equally if I don't have time, I know that I can just have more to eat when I get home from work).

The other con for me is that not having breakfast takes out an easy social event for catching up with friends/spending time with the missus in the morning on the weekend.

The important thing to remember, once all the insulin and sciency talk is over, is that it's just another way of eating, as the guys point out below.

In the end, intermittent fasting will only work for you if you are comfortable not eating before lunch.

I quite like it as eating more at night means I don't even want brekkie the next day. But if you find you need brekkie to keep you going then it's not for you.

A lot of people say they love IF but then admit they drink gallons of coffee and diet soft drinks until lunchtime to stave off hunger. That's a sign it's not for them :cool:

Ultimately, on its own, it won't work any better or worse than eating 3 or 6 meals a day. The important thing is to find something that works for you.

As Semillon pointed out, the LB package is much more than IF.

You can get good results with any protocol so long as you stick to it....all comes down to consistency.

i love Carb Nite/Renegade Diet style because I feel good doing that.
But that's just me.

IF'er over here....

Love it cause it works for me...

I don't worry to much about the Window... First meal is at 12.00pm.... Second meal is dinner (usually around 6pm to 8pm...

Training days I eat some carbs in the arvo....

Like the others have said don't think about IF as having any special benefits basically see it as a trick to eat less calories while still feeling full. Making staying lean easier.

I did it for a while and the best thing about it was showing you that you don't need to eat 6-10 meals a day to grow muscle and be lean. It's what you eat in the long term that makes the big difference. Not meal timing or specific macros ratios for certain meals.

Now I just do 3 meals a day but with more calories at night as that when I am most hungry. But even now if I am going out somewhere I skip breakfasts and have a low calorie lunch to save calories for dinner. It's about being flexible to fit your diet into your life rather than letting diet rule what you do.

Started Warrior diet again today. Did it for 6 months last year and dropped 10kg and still stayed strong (for me). This year started eating normally again with the same clories but have been putting on weight again when I'm trying to lose it. I think the warrior diet suits me because I'm at a desk all day and I lift at night so having a feed around that time suits me plus I enjoy eating lots at one time.

i've been doing it for a few months now and i like it. the biggest thing for me is that it makes adherence to low calorie counts so much easier - i can stick to a 1500 calorie limit but still eat a 1200 calorie meal (normally dinner).

getting through the mornings is ok and it gets progressively easier. i normally have an espresso at 9:30 and occasionally I have a cup of miso soup around 11 (30 calories so it's still fasted imho). I used to get stressed as lunch approached, but now it doesn't really happen anymore though if you think you're prone to raising your cortisol then fasting may be counter productive at this point. if i feel like i'm not being productive at work solely because i'm hungry then it's more important to eat than to stretch the fast. probably the worst part is hanging around the house on the weekend - i used to eat when i got bored and breaking that habit has been hard.

i don't carb cycle or calorie cycle the way that leangains prescribes, my fast is purely an 8 hour feeding window.

If you want to do it, but struggle, try under eating rather than fasting...
Protein shake, some salad, a couple of boiled eggs will easily get you through the day, and left room for a decent meal at night

I like the idea of saving the bulk of your calories for around workout time, but I just can't fast for that long. Eating the most around workouts is something I have adopted into my daily eating.

If you want to do it, but struggle, try under eating rather than fasting...
Protein shake, some salad, a couple of boiled eggs will easily get you through the day, and left room for a decent meal at night

yep, try to keep it to real food if you can ... lean protein sources, healthy fats and fibrous veg until later in the day. That works really well.

Carbs around workout time and night (if that works for you).

Day one on the Warrior and have had an apple, 20g protein and a few almonds and a couple of coffees and not hungry but excited about eating tonight :)

ive done IF a few times, its great for cutting cals but watch for dinner time binges, its easy to go overboard.

Yeah i don't stress at lunch time anymore... If anything I get pretty motivated....

I find food tastes better after a 16 hour fast...

I usually go about 16-17hrs each day , lunch at 11-12 dinner at 6pm, 800 cal lunch then 1200cal dinner keeps me pretty good,

Yep!!!!

One downside is the ability to eat much bigger meals before feeling full...

I was eating 2500 cals in one hit every night, after a few weeks it wasn't enough, I was binging through 3000+ easy..
I was feeling so shit in the mornings, I train at 5am so my workouts began to suffer, that's when I gave fasting away, I eat whenever I feel now...
Probably 50% of my calories are at dinner time still

I was eating 2500 cals in one hit every night, after a few weeks it wasn't enough, I was binging through 3000+ easy..
I was feeling so shit in the mornings, I train at 5am so my workouts began to suffer, that's when I gave fasting away, I eat whenever I feel now...
Probably 50% of my calories are at dinner time still

The key factor being to find a meal plan that suits you.... And matching it to your macros requirements...

Incidently what where you eating to get to 2500 cals in one sitting?