• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I've cheated,and i liked it

chrisp

I've been lifting for 1 rep max for well over 2 years now, and early this year started firstly to have little niggling injuries and a lack of enthusiasum.

Now when i say lack of enthusiasum im naturally a bubbly jump up and down , loud , cant keep my mouth shut kinda guy and lifter.

And as for the injuries , mostly slight strains, sore tendons and had a hernia scare.

6 weeks ago i decided to stop,,, my workout looked like this for the past 6 weeks,

2x 20 rep squats,
2x 20 rep deadlift
100 pullups , usaully in 4 sets
2x 50 press up
2x 10 turkish get up
2x 20 rep bicep curl to overhead press with dumbells

Monday, i went back to my previous routine, of strength building, i was sort of expecting to FEEL weak, or maybe worried i'd lost strength,

COMPLETE opposite , i felt fresh, stronger and faster, it was like i was cheating on my wife with a hotter younger blonde, it was all exciting again and whats even more interesting i squatted 180kg, THATS 7.5kg heavier than 6 weeks ago, after 6 weeks of not doing heavy squats????

AND,,,, i've just benched 120kg this morning , 5kg onto my PB.

Is a rest period good???

Was it just a routine change??

Was it something in the 6 week lower weight routine that helped?

Or was it just placebo, my enthusiasm had increased, it was more mentally exciting/challenging ?

Thoughts please gentlemen.

chris

I think it would have been the change in routine.. If u were doing the same one for anywhere over 6monhts you get stuck in a rut and the enthusiam goes. Esp the guys who have been lifting for ages and lost their way.

I was on the same routine for over 2 years (with slight changes) till i recently started PPP and now after 12 weeks i hunger to lift weights again. My PB's have gone up but 5-10kg even after i went back to lifting the standard BB routine this week.

i also find if i focus on 1RM too long I start to get sore joints, and feel fatigued.

By doing higher reps lighter weight stuff you are still pushing the muscles, but in a different way, rather than pushing them to the point of mechanical failure ( sore joints maximun stress etc) you are pushing them to a fatigue state, were what is lacking is a recharging of the neural pathways and the ability of the muscle to contract, your body will adapt to this stress quicker, and you will recover quicker, as you are just exhausting the muscles and nerves rather than actually pushing them to the point of damage.

I am nowere near as big as you but i find my body likes it when i do big reps, and gradually taper it off after ~3 months back up to 1 rm again, hopefully setting new PBS on all lifts, then back to big reps at a slightly heavier weigh than last time, again tapering the reps back to a 1rm.

All of them would have helped but I would put most of it down to the routine change (which would have given your CNS more of a rest)
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking back at my original post i maybe should of added that the squats and deadlifts were done with ease only 100kg deads can do 140x20 ans squats 90kg can do 125x 20 .

The whole 6 week routine (break from 1rm)was aimed at just keeping to a Routine rather than stopping for a period and spossiably struggling to get back into it , with my boxing gym commitments family and so on.

I've been lifting for 1 rep max for well over 2 years now, and early this year started firstly to have little niggling injuries and a lack of enthusiasum.

Now when i say lack of enthusiasum im naturally a bubbly jump up and down , loud , cant keep my mouth shut kinda guy and lifter.

And as for the injuries , mostly slight strains, sore tendons and had a hernia scare.

6 weeks ago i decided to stop,,, my workout looked like this for the past 6 weeks,

2x 20 rep squats,
2x 20 rep deadlift
100 pullups , usaully in 4 sets
2x 50 press up
2x 10 turkish get up
2x 20 rep bicep curl to overhead press with dumbells

Monday, i went back to my previous routine, of strength building, i was sort of expecting to FEEL weak, or maybe worried i'd lost strength,

COMPLETE opposite , i felt fresh, stronger and faster, it was like i was cheating on my wife with a hotter younger blonde, it was all exciting again and whats even more interesting i squatted 180kg, THATS 7.5kg heavier than 6 weeks ago, after 6 weeks of not doing heavy squats????

AND,,,, i've just benched 120kg this morning , 5kg onto my PB.

Is a rest period good???

Was it just a routine change??

Was it something in the 6 week lower weight routine that helped?

Or was it just placebo, my enthusiasm had increased, it was more mentally exciting/challenging ?

Thoughts please gentlemen.

chris

My thoughts?

If you don't know are we supposed to?

It's your body, your life, you should be able to enlighten us, if you cannot you have learnt nothing..

I mean all that in a nice way.

My opinion is the break gave me a freshen up, and i was enthusastic about lifting heavy again.

Is my opinion right?

Thats why i posted , to see what other people thought?

Maybe you had a complete month without lifting , silverback, came back and were stronger than ever.

Maybe you cut load and lifted high rep for 2 months , came back and broke PB's.

I think the break got me enthusastic about lifting heavy again, im human , i could be wrong, thats why id like others opinion's mate.

It's a common thing for alot of guys to not go through a rest/deloading phase no matter how long you've been training and sometimes we just don't feel/see "it"
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi guys,

This is an interesting topic. I actually
found out the opposite to what 'chrisp' has
mentioned.

In fact my motivation has dropped off after taking
2 weeks off and 2 weeks with the flue/cold.

I'm back to my maximum weights lifts for my sessions
and can't seem to break through them to the
next level! DOH!

Devante.