• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jetts Gym vs Home Gym

Gotta say anyone struggling in the gym is not gona be magically motivated just cause there is a rack at home. Train at a regular gym for a while and make sure you got the bug before you drop the dough on a home setup.

Anyonw that doesn't trawl ebay and gumtree for bargains is stupid too. See rack and bar +100kg come up all the time for 200-300 just gotta be patient and wait.

That a boy fluffy

Gotta say anyone struggling in the gym is not gona be magically motivated just cause there is a rack at home. Train at a regular gym for a while and make sure you got the bug before you drop the dough on a home setup.

Anyonw that doesn't trawl ebay and gumtree for bargains is stupid too. See rack and bar +100kg come up all the time for 200-300 just gotta be patient and wait.

I've been looking on Ebay and Gumtree a lot, thanks Fluffy.

There are some pretty decent squat cages on Ebay for around $400. But then I realized I would need an olympic barbell to a squat cage along with a whole new set of weights. From there it hurts my brain to think about how much I would be spending on something that I may see no results with.

cheap oly bar, maybe $50-100, weights at maybe $2/kg or less
start with range of smaller ones (1.25/2.5/5/10~38kg) and add 20's after that
1 pair 20's plus the rest, around $200-250 for abotu 100kg of lifting weight with bar.
could be a bit less

if you keep lifting, and follow the good advice from (most) people on here, there is no way you will not see results!

and even if you give the game away, 2nd hand weights don't lose value...

Last edited:
I've been looking on Ebay and Gumtree a lot, thanks Fluffy.

There are some pretty decent squat cages on Ebay for around $400. But then I realized I would need an olympic barbell to a squat cage along with a whole new set of weights. From there it hurts my brain to think about how much I would be spending on something that I may see no results with.

Check out jzpowahz log he has the cheapest squat rack going and all standard gear, the results he is getting are amazing.

It can be done on the cheap but really if I was you just find an okay gym stay there get to know the regulars, fall in love with lifting, become a gym rat.

Check out jzpowahz log he has the cheapest squat rack going and all standard gear, the results he is getting are amazing.

It can be done on the cheap but really if I was you just find an okay gym stay there get to know the regulars, fall in love with lifting, become a gym rat.

What page does he say what squat rack he has?

I think your missing my point mate, which is that your attitude is just as important as your equipment and environment.

I've always been cheap with things lol :p

I get the message, I'll start saving for something of high quality.

I've always been cheap with things lol :p

I get the message, I'll start saving for something of high quality.

No mate I'm saying the opposite you can get plenty strong with cheap gear. Just lurk gumtree and ebay and get a rack for a couple hundred, weights can be gotten for a couple bucks a kg, you can buy an oly bar for $85 from cyberfit.

The thing that really seperates the weak from the lifters is consistency and dedication. Keep at it and you see results, there is no secret, it can't be done in a hurry, just plod away and reap the rewards.

No mate I'm saying the opposite you can get plenty strong with cheap gear. Just lurk gumtree and ebay and get a rack for a couple hundred, weights can be gotten for a couple bucks a kg, you can buy an oly bar for $85 from cyberfit.

Tje thing that really seperates the weak from the lofters is consistency and dedication. Kerp at it and you see results, there is no secret, it can't ne done in a hurry, just plod away and reap the rewards.

I thought you were having a go at me for asking about the page for the cheap squat rack haha

I am very consistent with my workouts fortunately so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for stuff on those two websites.

I went to Jetts briefly shortly after my regular gym had closed down due to receivership. Pretty lame gym, that is what motivated me to get a garage setup, oly bar, dumbells, 160kg of weights, Avanti power station, chins, dip and hip flexor station, gym rings and few other accessories. There is a Snap which is over the road, it is much better than Jetts. I do agree the vibe of the gym is really important, that is what I see lacking in 24 hour gyms, although I have been impressed with Anytime.

as said in this thread, attitude is key.. not sure you're 100% there yet (not a knock, just an observation based on posts) - hopefully you catch the bug

i'd suggest going with the gym for a few months.. when after a few months you don't see noticable results you will either:

1) want to get results (and then buy a squat rack and start piecing together your home gym); or
2) no longer be interested (and then you can quit without having splashed out the coin)

win / sort of win?

Places like Workoutworld and Elite Fitness to name a few are selling lots of home setups as a result of poorly equiped commercial setups. I have come across a number of people doing the same thing. I really felt if I had to rely on commercial gyms my training would have gone backward, a lot of people will tell you that.

Either train in a gym or get your own set up.

90% of the stuff in a commercial gym is useless or not needed, and if you hunt around you get bargains.

I just picked up a commercial sized Lat pulldown/seated row machine for $100, complete with all attachments.

I got a pair of squat/press stands a few weeks back for $20, and a incline adjustable bench press bench for $120, just for some examples.

Nothing better than training in your own home gym IMO.

I am pretty sure I would get kicked out as well for training in my boxers, and swearing at the weights before and after I lift them to the amusement of my wife.:rolleyes:

I joined jetts as a beginner, was there for maybe 9 months.

They had ez bars, a smith, a shrug / deadlift machine, and dumbbells up to 40kg.
The machines were all good but the weight was pitiful - and I got in trouble for adding plates onto the pins on back machines.

It was a good starting point, but now I hear the joining fee is $150+ - I paid $30 and was $20a fortnight.
2 1/2 years later and I wouldn't even step foot as the machines are completely inadequate for anyone of size.

I think some of the gyms show people too many exercises and seldom emphaise the basics anymore. Having a home set up allows people to get good at basic compound exercises, which is all that is needed. Getting good at the basic compounds and adding plates as you go along is the what I am doing. Home gyms are a great investment.

Had a look at Jetts Mooloolaba and it now has a very good free weights area, since its recent extension, very roomy and around two of every station, squat racks, descent amount of free weights. Don't know if all the gyms in the chain are going down the same road, as it may vary from locations. It appears others maybe moving in this direction. Here on the Sunshine Coast this is largely due to competition from other gyms.

I train at a Jetts every now and then. There's two (that I have sussed out of the half dozen that are reasonably close) that have a squat rack, bb and plenty of plates, the others don't even though they seem more popular and have double of everything else.
Every time I train there, I'm the only guy using the squat rack - which is fine with me, cos i'll use it for every workout I do. Got to do bench, deads, rack pulls, squats all in there as there's no other barbells.

Is it a serious bb gym? Of course not!
Can you gain size and strength there? Of course you can!

I think with all the other 24/7 gyms that are around now offering plenty of free weights (anytime, snap etc), they've come around to the idea, where when they were one of the first larger 24/7 chains, they were probably more concerned about being liable for injury.