• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just to clear a few things up..

I cant have nuts due to allergy can I just leave the almond butter out?

Of course! Just a suggestion (a very good one, for this shake's intent), but you can leave it out. It adds about 10gms protein, and some very good fats, plus it has been shown to boost your testosterone (ask me by PM for a reference if interested). But nevermind - you can't beat allergies I suppose.

A few walks etc (cardio) is not going to kill your gains - especially in the sweet spot you're currently enjoying.

Just EAT, train, and watch the results over these next few months.... <so jealous>... ;)

Oh, and stay here and update us, huh?

Last edited:
yeah thanks,

I will stay and update, I will prob do an update in 3 weeks time
since that is when i go back to the diet person and can tell you
weight and body fat numbers.

is there any other ways youd like an update? Just what I am lifting
be ok?

also: whats a good time to go to gym? like morning or night or doesnt matter?
how long should one spend at the gym I am usually there 20mins
the diet person said more then that
the PT said less then that
um???
thanks

Last edited:
A good time to go to a gym is to go! That's the best time :) it's a personal preference. I workout after work. I feel pretty weak lifting in the morning.

Ps. Start a training diary

Last edited:
The best time to go to the gym is personal. I can't lift as heavy in the morning as I can after a full day's work. I know- its crazy. But that's just me. Also for me its not practical with work.

A few words of advice: try to rest a couple of minutes between sets. It will give your muscles time to recover a little so that you can lift more weight. More weight will shock your muscles into growth. Your routine would take me about an hour I reckon.

I look forward to following your gains. Good luck man.

If in that 20 you are not about to die of exhaustion then you are not putting in enough effort for the program. 45 to 60 is a good amount of time.

Hey thanks guys for the support, I am as such a blank canvas
and when I say 5kg I mean those little dumbbells one in each
hand.

I do know that I can do 7.5kg at a 3x10 if not tired

If you can do 3x10 with 7.5kg dumbells start on 10kg and see if you can get at least one set of 8 or 7 and then max out the other sets and write down what you did, then improve next work out by doing may be just one extra rep till you can do 3 sets of 8, then move on to 12.5kg straight away on your next workout.

Have another look at the beginners program, only do sets of eight for most exercises, you should really be fighting to lift the bar, if you can complete 3 sets of 8 with a certain weight, it's time to add weight to the bar, if you can go to 10 reps you should have added weight to the bar a while back.

Realistically there is no way you should be able to lift what ever weight you are lifting 10 times, if you can it's too light. You need to push yourself, write down the weight and reps you have done and look back on it.

If you can complete 3 sets of eight add some weight, then you might only get a set of 8, a set of 7 and a set of 5....keep that weight and make sure you really try to get the extra reps, so you next session may be 8, 7, 7, etc keep going till you hit, 8, 8, 8 and that add weight to the next session, and so on.

Hope that makes sense.

I am on the beginners program as well, and I am a returning trainer, made many mistakes over the years and wish I had the advise that is here 20 years ago, would have saved me many many wasted training sessions.

Start a training log on here and log your workouts.

May be have a look at my training log (even though I am no expert by a long shot and have learned a LOT in my short time here), but it should give you an idea with what I am talking about.

You do not really need a PT to follow this routine, learn the exercises and follow the plan, you will see huge gains in no time, I am in my 40's and have seen great gains in a short time since I started this routine, and have added decent amount of weight to my lifts.

in regards to what you said Big Mick

my vein of thinking is if can only do 2x10 @ say 7.5kg
then I will do 1x20 with 5kg

I have written out what I am doing and will post my progress in
a training log in a few days. But basically at the end of my work
out I am flat out even turning my car steering wheel or doing
a push up.

PTC? Personal training centre? What you mean?

I have noticed the difference size wise either that or
I am staring at myself too often :S

lol PTC = Performance Training Centre.

I'll have to tell Markos someone thought it was personal training centre. He'll wet himself laughing haha

BBs are better to use than DBs as far as incremental loading goals.
If the DBs jump 2.5kg then you have to make a 5kg overall jump whereas with the bar it can be 2.5kg overall jump.

I'm lucky in that I can make every weight in 1kg increments on an Olympic bar from 8kg to upwards of 200kg.

But basically at the end of my work
out I am flat out even turning my car steering wheel or doing
a push up.

This is normal - you're early strength reserves will be sapped quickly and at relatively low weights too. But the growth you experience will be phenomenal... In these early days, just remember to keep pushing and enjoy (this can be learned) the pain you feel afterwards - it is all a sign your body is trying to adapt, and will GROW to make that happen. After a while, you'll seek out the pain! ;)

After my workouts in my first years (19 years old), I would fall asleep in the car after walking out of the gym, I was so buggered!! But I learned that if I ate 2 bananas right after I finished, I could make it home OK. :) This was an early sign that I wasn't eating enough before (actually, any time) my workouts, and I wish I had this kind of information available back then to let me know what to do. No internet (for me anyway) in 1984!

Have your started lifting yet

sorry about the non reply I was at the gym ;)

Of course I have started lifting I have been for
the past month or so, but it wasnt until recently
that I changed what I was doing so I dont waste
my time.

I will post a training diary for you soon, but I havent
written anything down until this week.

sorry about the non reply I was at the gym ;)

Of course I have started lifting I have been for
the past month or so, but it wasnt until recently
that I changed what I was doing so I dont waste
my time.

I will post a training diary for you soon, but I havent
written anything down until this week.

Start a new thread with your workouts as of when you started writing it down, I never wrote anything down, only been doing that for a few weeks, and I started to gain more since recording what I do, as it ensures you increase with each workout.