• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lean Gains what to do?

boxing23

Hey guys just want to know what you would do if you where in my shoes?
I am currently weighing 60.8 kg at 6ft 3 inches tall and sitting around 4% bodyfat. I am gaining consistently most weeks around 500g. I know that i over train doing 1hr - 1 and a half hr weight sessions 6 days of the week and cardio most days. My Training is a split of chest and tri's, Back and bi's, Legs and Abs and shoulders and abs. All consisting of 3 or 4 compound lifts and then finished off with isolations. I eat a consistent clean diet day in day out of around 3500 calories hitting atleast 185g protein and 75g of fat a day. I know i have to be patient but what would you do if you where in my shoes to maximize your gains but stay as lean as possible?

Thanks in advance

Sean

60kg, at 6 ft 3. I know your a boxer, but that is way too skinny. Im not entirely sure so i will ask you, do boxers have to be very lean (4% bf) or can they be around 8%-12%?

Try gaining more weight, around 1kg is good for your weight. You shouldn't put much fat on with the amount of boxing your doing.

And do a full body 3 times a week workout as well. Military press/squat/deadlift/pull ups/rows/bench/dips/curls. These exercises.

If your struggling to gain weight, milk + eggs are great. Also milk/protein/oats/ice cream shakes are great to.

South East Brisbane?

Last edited:
How do you know your overtraining?

If you want to gain weight with minimal fat gain adjust your calories so that you are slowly putting on weight. Too fast weight gain is a sure way to put on a heap of fat.

60.8@6'3":eek:

Wow that is lean!

What is your aim?? How much you want to weigh??

Why so many weight sessions? Why you think you are over training?

Do you realise you grow while resting, not training?

Need to train smarter and eat more. You are also not 4% bodyfat as no one can stay at that low a percentage without becoming ill. Bodybuilders get that low for a show but can not keep it up and they are dedicated.

Hey I will just clear a few things up here. Im Not currently training for boxing my health is number 1 so im focussing on getting bigger and stronger at the moment but still doing cardio so i keep my fitness for when i jump back in the ring. and no boxers dont have to be this lean. I live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane (Kallangur). I should of also worded things differently I am not currently of training probably just not resting enough to get the most gains. Like big mick says you grow while you rest not while your train. You get strong in the gym and big at the dinner table and in bed. I dont currently have any symptopms of overtraining like lack of motivation to train. Although I am a bit sore most of the time but i expect that. And im not sure how accurate the body fat percentage is it was done on an internet calculator and was based off my weight height and skinfold measuremeants (biceps 1mm, Triceps 1mm, Subsculpular 3mm, abdomen 3mm) I want to be 65kg by New year Baby steps to start off with. But ultimately I am aiming to do a bodybuilding contest in a few years in the under 90kg class. Any info or tips are taken on board and muchly appreciated

Cheers Sean

I'd go and get a DEXA scan. It will give you a much more accurate reading of your body fat and LBM.

You need to ensure that you are consuming enough calories and correct macronutirent requirements to support every aspect (hormonal function, muscle growth, training performance etc) that plays a part in achieving your goals.

Train more doesn't = more muscle. As dave said, you need to train smarter.

Fast weight gain is typically a lot of water weight with fat gains and minimal LBM.

Growing muscle is a different kettle of fish to just simply 'gaining weight'. It is slow and takes time. Doing what you should (diet, training, rest) to support muscle hypertrophy is a long term requirement, not just a week to week or month to month phase.

As long as you are progressing in the gym (strength is going up) and body composition (LBM is increasing) you shouldn't focus to much on the 'speed' that it is happening. Typically the rate that it happens are determined by factors out of your control. So simply focus on the things you can control, training and diet.

Hey guys just want to know what you would do if you where in my shoes?
I eat a consistent clean diet day in day out of around 3500 calories hitting atleast 185g protein and 75g of fat a day.

Have you logged your food to check?

It seems that a lot of people who have trouble gaining weight are really just underestimating their intake (and conversely those trying to lose overestimate).

Re fitness levels: I used to do mma 3 times a week until I got injured and haven't been able to. In the mean time, I have only done weights and the odd kb session for conditioning. Recently, I have been able to hit the bags again (after 5 months) and IMO I haven't lost any endurance during this time. A short HIIT session is about all I could do for a long time. So you may be able to cut down on the cardio so you don't have to eat so much.

Also, do you have a physical job?

It seems that a lot of people who have trouble gaining weight are really just underestimating their intake (and conversely those trying to lose overestimate).
Great point JZ.

I hear it all the time, 'yeah I eat heaps, but I can't gain any weight'. Mean while they are 75kgs, a tradesman, work out 5 days a week yet when you calculate it they eat 1600-1800 calories. 'I eat a macca's burger but I still don't get fat'..........

I think you need to look at what your eating, you should be consuming lots of calories to gain weight. You may need to cut down on the cardio, try two 100 burpee sessions a week, that will keep you fit. To give an example, I eat around 3500 cals a day to loose weight, so at your weight you should be consuming a fair few cals. I'm not an expert on LEAN weight gain (I'm a fat basted, so only know the bad bulk LOL), but from what I have read and talked to people about, you really need to consume allot of cals as your bodies natural state is to be lean, you have to force the change.

Also, if I were you, I would be looking at mainly compound lifts to increase your overall musculature as apposed to to much isolation work. I'm not saying don't add isolation work in, just use it as assistance work and focus on the 4 big lifts.
Back squat
Deadlifts
Flat bench press
Standing shoulder presses

Good luck with it mate, keep us updated.

Hey Thanks for everything guys I just want to let you know that i do not expect miracles to happen overnight and am dedicated and i am in it for the long haul. I have been training for about 6 months now since then i have gained about 4.5kg and my strength gains have gone through the roof since i have started. I am still as motivated as ever! I also know about the PTC gym i kallangur and have been down for a look i am just struggling to work out time and funds to go there aswell as the gym. I have calculated my calories and i am eating 3600 cals a day. I use to work as a brickys apprentice so very physical. But i am now a Deckhand on a Boat on friday saturday and sunday so still quite physical work and during the week i am doing my fitness diploma so we do a lot of physical stuff in that. I should also let you know that 18months ago i was 6ft tall and 96kg of fat. i developed a eating disorder and was training heaps in boxing and lost 40kg and ended up in hospital in may this year. Thats when i started my training and turned my eating around. It took me a while to get my food sorted though.
Training looks a bit like this:
Chest and Triceps:
Flat Bench 5 sets - Incline Bench 4 sets - Flat Dumbell Fly's 3 sets - Cable Cross Over 3 sets - Dips 3 sets - Skull Crushers 4 sets - Tricep Pushdown 3 sets - 100 pushups

Back and Biceps:
Deadlifts 3 sets - Lat Pull down 5 sets - Seated row 4 sets - Bentover barbell row 4 sets - Dumbell row 2 sets - E-Z bar curls 4 sets - Dumbell Curls 3 sets - Chin Ups 5 sets

Legs and Abs:
Squats 5 sets - single leg squats 4 sets - Leg extension 4 sets - Hamstring curls 4 sets - SLDL's 3 sets - Lunges 2 sets - Ab circuit

Shoulders And Abs: Millitary Press superset with Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 3 sets - Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press 4 sets - Upright Row superset With Seated Lateral Raise - Front Raise superset with Rear Row - Dumbell Shrugs 3 sets - 100 pushups - Ab Circuit

Breakfast - 100g oats and WPC shake
PWO - PWO Shake
Morning - 2 Peanut butter sandwiches and tin tuna
Lunch - 150g brown rice, 150g Beans and Brocoli, 250g Chicken or roo
Afternoon - 2 Peanut Butter Sandwiches and tin tuna
Dinner - 150g brown rice, 150g beans and brocoli, 250g chicken or roo
Dessert - 30g almonds and WPC shake

im focussing on getting bigger and stronger at the moment but still doing cardio so i keep my fitness for when i jump back in the ring.

^ ?

You can get bigger and stronger in a way more 'befitting' a boxer by doing a more athletic based program followed directly by HIIT/tabata etc

ok so are you suggesting something like a full body programme based on more athletic based lifts followed by HIIT?

All are uncooked weight -

Breakfast - 100g oats, 10mls coconut oil and 80g WPC shake
Morning - 2 Peanut butter sandwiches and 3 x tin tuna
Lunch - 100g brown rice, 75g avocado, 150g Beans and 150 g Broccoli, 300g Chicken
Afternoon - 200g potato, 150g beans, 150g broccoli, 250 steak
Dinner - 150g brown rice , 150g beans and brocoli, 250g chicken or roo
Dessert - 40g almonds and 80g WPC shake
Fixed. That is a 5000 calorie diet. 450 carbs, 490 protein, 135 fats.

I concur with The Hamburgler. You need to focus your training towards your PRESENT goal.

Last edited:

I thinbk you have this ass about???? shouldnt it be that be that are trying to gain weight overestimate what they are eating, Ie they think they are eating heaps but in reality they are not???? I would assume at your height, and activity levels, you would need 4000+calories a day

Boxing 23, Thats a huge rd in frount of you, that will take many many , many years, you basically want to add 30kg of lean mass... I cant see that happening in under 3-5years, of dedicated and committed eating and training..I wish you luck, you will be a monster when you get there.

As for the gym thing, if you are at a commercial gym, i would run away, just go to PTC 3 times a week, scott will give you an awsome program, and you will be in a better environment to make solid gains.