• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lean Muscle Gain

Jim_Junkie

Hey, I'm just wondering what diet is required for lean muscle gain?

I'm not fat, but at the moment I'm bulking up from eating carbs + protein, except I'd rather be gaining lean muscle and burning fat to get that classic 'ripped' look. Should I eliminate some carbs from my diet or just introduce more cardio / HIIT training? :rolleyes:

the only way to get that 'classic physique' or 'ripped' look...and look good at the same time is to be bigger.

Think of it like this. The statue of David may way 1 tonne. How much do you think it started before construction started? 2? 2.5 t? 3?!

are you getting fat at the moment? if not then dont worry about it.

or if you wanted to you could eat a lot of calories on your lifting days and eat at maintenance on your non lifting days.

You don't have to get out of shape when working on gaining size. I"ve gained 10kg over the last 2 years of bulking & i'm still quite lean.

no no no. I'm not getting fat. But I just want to strip some fat to increase muscle definition, is that how it works?

Also on cardio days by burning more calories than I consume does that burn fat or breakdown muscle?

i think perhaps you should make your weight training more intense. after you do you strength lifts, then set up 3 or 4 exercises and do 3-4 set no rest from one to another.

that way you are working all your muscles, get a solid pump on, and increasing your metabolism.

an example could be chins, dips, bicep curl, skull crusher/tricep kick backs.
you could also do full body- db step up, db snatch, db row, shoulder press.

have a read of this article on density training for fat loss to give you ideas.

no no no. I'm not getting fat. But I just want to strip some fat to increase muscle definition, is that how it works?

Definitely maybe. It would be much wiser & easier to simply increase your muscle mass, which in turn will turn you into a walking, talking fat burning machine!

Also on cardio days by burning more calories than I consume does that burn fat or breakdown muscle?[/QUOTE]

Well, that's an interesting debate. If on 'cardio days' you aim to hit 2000 calories (in this example) while you need 2100 to break even, you're more likely to utilize fat as an energy source, depending on what type of cardio, how long you were doing it