• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg extensions redundant?

canned tuna

I have complete stick legs and I'm already maxing out the leg extension machines @ 95kg, 3 sets 6 reps + half weight superset
Does anyone who's been lifting for a while even bother with these? What is the value?
I get a much better workout I feel with leg press

For me they are a knee killer.

For building quads I would do lots of front squats and high volume leg press.

gotta agree with that - feels like it strains the knees more than the quads... cheers mate

Last edited:
T NATION | Truth About Leg Extensions

Leg Extension Risks:

1. Increased patellofemoral joint reaction force, knee movement, and joint stress in the most commonly used range of motion.

2. Reduced hamstrings activity.

3. Reduced VMO activity and late onset of firing.

4. Non-existent hip adductor and abductor contribution.

5. Increased rectus femoris firing.

6. Constant ACL tension.

7. Higher patellar ligament, quadriceps tendon, and patellofemoral and tibiofemoral forces with the most commonly utilized loading parameters.

8. Increased lateral patellar deviation.

9. Insufficient involvement of surrounding joints to ensure optimal functioning.

10. Poor training economy (no carryover to closed-chain performance from open-chain exercises).

Leg Extension Benefits:

1. Will give you a good pump, but not even close to the benefits you'll get from squatting and single-leg movements.

2. Uh, wait, there's really only one benefit — and it's pretty weak.

Whether you're a patient or not, the take-home message is the same: if you want more bang for your training buck you should be squatting, not doing leg extensions. Factor in the additional loading that squatting allows, and it should come as no surprise that you'll see better gains in size, strength, and functional capacity.

For some people the leg extension would be a great exercise over barbell squats or leg press.

They obviously provide an opportunity for progressive overload* although it is restricted. Multi joint movements are probably better for overall health and wellbeing.

*elements of progressive overload obviously include but not limited to more reps, sets or heavier load. Reduced rest time, shorter range of motion, time under tension...

I have complete stick legs and I'm already maxing out the leg extension machines @ 95kg, 3 sets 6 reps + half weight superset
Does anyone who's been lifting for a while even bother with these? What is the value?
I get a much better workout I feel with leg press

I use and have been using for qutie some time, the leg extension to pre fatigue before squatting or leg pressing, one set to fatigue is usually enough, 10 to 15 rep's is my range.
The trick to pre fatigue is moving quickly to the next exercise.

are they of any use for kneecap tracking problems?
I have a vague memory of physio recommending for building up "Vastus Medialis" (had to look that up), to help with kneecap stuff (due to imbalance with outer quad muscles...)
all bunk?

Rock solid maybe? Gym and fitness sell a force USA one and get strength in nz also make one

The Atlantis model seems to be rated as the best in the world but they're in Canada so shipping would likely be a ball breaker (though they do have an Australian contact)

Why on earth is someone who has stick legs bothering doing leg extensions? Fuck that, just squat, whether it is back or front.

um, its not hurting now but it feels like the ol knees are under strain. I think I'll probably cut it to a warmup set for leg presses as suggested.. 15 reps, whatever weight feels right

are they of any use for kneecap tracking problems?
I have a vague memory of physio recommending for building up "Vastus Medialis" (had to look that up), to help with kneecap stuff (due to imbalance with outer quad muscles...)
all bunk?

Better options if you can support your own weight etc. Fine for someone who can not ie knee replacement.

I used to have problems with my VM in cycling, I did leg extensions for a while before switching to narrow stance leg press with my feet at a >45 degree angle and it worked great
(pressing not extensions)