• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Looking for a new bench

Fakepolitik

Hey, guys,

I'm currently looking to buy a new bench to complete my gym setup at home (power rack, olympic bar and weights), but I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in a bench.

Should it be adjustable, so I can do incline and decline lifts, or should I just buy a flat one? Are there particular brands I should look at?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio.

I dont like incline benches for the following reasons:
- Unless you're going to pay over $500 any incline you look at will inevitably be a rickety piece of shit.
- Incline presses are an awesome exercise but kinda obsolete if you're benching and overhead pressing.
- You'll feel the need to stick the incline press in everywhere, which with your benching and overheads is a lot of shoulder stress.

This is the bench I have and would recommend to anyone:

Commercial flat bench

2x4 steel tubing welded all the way through. It will outlive you and your grandchildren too.

There is some good info in here regarding the above commercial bench and the commercial incline bench to match. -> http://ausbb.com/gymdirect/11463-best-bench-ever.html

I have both. The commercial incline is rock solid, definitely not rickety.

I would buy the flat bench first and then if you need an incline bench down the road then buy another one. The flat one is definitely better for benching IMHO.

I bought a bodysolid flat/incline bench and have never used the incline, I always military press as well so I dont see the point. I would do as suggested and buy a flat one to start

Howdy Fakepolitik,

I just picked up a new bench myself. Paying extra for a bench is usually worth it but commercial benches often don't "do it all'.

I came across the ASFID SUPER FID BENCH (I think it's by Muscle Motion) and picked mine up for 350 (500rrp I think).

Worth checking out I reckon.

A good incline bench will also enable you to use it as an upright bench for seated presses, etc.

Good luck.