• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Lose Fat the Fun Way

Fadi

Okay, hands up anyone here who was a baby and a toddler once. Mmmm, everyone I see! Well that’s just great, because I want to take you back there when the fundamentals of life were mixed with fun and games. Now how many of you here remember that train, (steam train I think it was), hurtling down on those invisible tracks that were made by mum and dad, carrying a spoonful of food ready to dock at that most crucial station we call…mouth! For some it may have been an airplane coming in to land…

In any case, mum and dad knew very well that if little Johnny was to ever get big and strong, he would have to be fed, and fed properly.

Okay, fast forward 20, 30, 40 years, and little Johnny is not so little anymore. In fact, he had so many airplanes parked at his “station” that now we’re looking at a congested airport full of traffic.

Well, it’s about time some of those aircrafts were cleared off to release the congestion and make the workload just a little lighter…on everybody.

Run they say; it’s great for loosing those unwanted kilos. No no, lift weights in the gym because that’s where it’s really at I hear others shout. Still others will tell you to combine the two and possibly incooperate some sort of weight circuit type of a routine as part of your losing fat program. I say great to anything that will get you moving and expanding some calories; calories that were held on to when you became just a bit too friendly with your favourite couch…and TV series, some DVDs, and possibly a can of beer or a glass of wine too many…

Now if you decided to take the challenge of losing some unwanted fat mass, then my promise to you before we begin is this:

I require no technique of you
I require no seriousness or tense moments
I require no known exercises, routines, or programs
I require no experience in any sort of training; be it aerobics or anaerobic
I require no partners to assist in lifting your spirits…but damn it would be awesome if there were two of you…
I require a totally fun attitude

I require that I stop requiring and continue with this bloody article!

Let’s have some fun, shall we…!

I know that most of you reading these words have access to a gym or at least some weights. I will not ask you to change your program, but I will ask you to give my losing fat games a go please…you’ve got nothing to lose (except fat) and all the dopamine to gain. So let’s rock…

Week #1
After your training session has been completed, do the following:
200kg lifted and moved for a distance of 10m…that’s it! Of course, you better return the weights to their place of origin if you want to keep the gym stuff on your side.

200kg can be made of the following disks: 25kg, 20kg, 15kg, and 10kg. Now if your gym carries Olympic weightlifting disks, then it’s all the better, but if not, then your normal bodybuilding metal weight would do just fine.

The first thing is you’d want to stack all the 200kg in one spot (spot “A”), and from there lift one disk at a time and walk with it briskly whilst carrying it with both arms to spot “B”. Now usually 200kg stacked up would reach knee height.

The idea here is to be one with the disk you’re lifting. By that I mean keeping it very close to your body. Injuries occur when we attempt to lift weights that are far from our point of strength, i.e. legs and bum. Stretching the arms forward and attempting to lift a weight off the ground would eliminate most of our powerful leg and gluteal muscles, and would instead bring in shoulders, lower back, and forearms…not a good idea if you want maximum muscle efficiency/strength and minimum muscle spasm and joint injuries.

Now you can use your imagination and see how far we can build up upon this simple “transport game” of moving weights from point A to point B. Most of the muscles in the human body would be involved in such a simple lift that requires no special training except for one to keep close to the weight whilst lifting it.

Distance, weight, as well as height or placement of weights can be varied. Even some steps/stairs can be employed here for an awesome leg and glutes workout. For example: to place a 20kg disk at shoulder height level would require much more involvement form the muscles in your upper body. Similarly, if the lift was to call for placing the disk above head level, as on a shelf for example, then obviously that would really require some shoulder strength, concentration, and precision/stabiliser and core muscles/ and neuromuscular marriage!

The above is no different in principle from my all time favourite strong man’s lift: The Atlas stone lift. Except no one to my knowledge has ever lifted an atlas stone above head to place it on such a high surface.

Okay ladies and gentlemen, let us discuss the above now please. The more input you provide the more fun we can develop and have with this type of “training”. I don’t know everything, so your help and ideas would be just awesome if you wouldn’t mind sharing with our powerful Ausbb team here…your team!

I thank you for your time.

Fadi.

Excellent stuff, Fadi, I may try it on some of those I train. I will tell them, "This is the Fadi." They will come to dread it as they do the word "Tabata." :D

hey. i actually did this a week or so ago. I"m good mates with the guy who owns my gym. He bought 200kg of plates, which he asked me to carry up stairs (to the gym). It was mixed between 25, 20 & 15kg plates.

It was a great cardio workout for sure...since it was a long trip from point a to point b !!

That is great gentlemen; the idea is not to demand technique or to even have your client (as in Kyle's case) feel/think that they're "working at it". I bet PowerBuilder didn't think he was actually performing some aerobic/anaerobic activity when he lent a hand...

Well done.

Fadi.

I find most people want to feel they're "working it", that's one of the reasons they hire someone to train them ;)

Towers of Hanoi springs to mind. Interesting game, but as you add disks to it, the time it takes to complete increases exponentially.
Imagine a "strongman" version of that LOL:D

I find most people want to feel they're "working it", that's one of the reasons they hire someone to train them ;)

Sure Kyle, I understand what you're saying my friend. Perhaps I was placing more emphasis on the body than the mind. There's no escaping it the physical aspect will be hard at it "working it"; whilst the mind is in a "relaxed state" due to the perception that this work would be "play" and not some technical lifting of some sort (thanks to that smart PT).

You can always tell your client upfront of where you're heading.

I see it a bit like someone coming to me asking for a top exercise for the forearms. Let's say this request was asked whilst walking in the country side where wells exist. The first thing that would spring to mind would be for me to say to the enquirer that we need to get some water first. By that I mean pulling some water out of the well that has a long rope tied to a bucket. The action of pulling the water up is pure forearm work, but this won't be perceived as work...

That's how I'm seeing it, I could be wrong of course.

PS: Now imagine if Olympic weightlifting was like that instead of being so technical.

Fadi.

people could even find things in their workplace for times when its not very busy. i find that as being a mechanic im always carrying brake rotors up and down stairs or a bunch of tyres at any one time. maby it could apply to offices and maby large boxes of paper (would probably weight about 10kg). or even as you said fadi, if you had a kid, just carry them around for fun on the weekend lol. go for a drink, pick up the little one and walk to the kitchen, have your drink and carry them back to the back yard lol. seems funny but i suppose training the mind to be under some kind of constant effort makes the larger more technical lifting seem less difficult as your used to moving some form of weight all the time... maby im way off but it might just add some food for thought, i always enjoy reading your posts fadi, they seem to get the mind working more than the muscles. i believe in exercising both in equal proportions :)

Carrying weights for distance is a great form of exercise. I will often place a whole range of objects (bars, weights, kettlebells, ect) outside. Then get clients to move them up and down the driveway one at a time.

Anything lighter than 15kg has to be carried overhead.

Total body workout.

i love carrying my girlfriends kids around on the weekends. Both being young kids..and growing...i'm always getting a good workout!!

Carrying weights for distance is a great form of exercise. I will often place a whole range of objects (bars, weights, kettlebells, ect) outside. Then get clients to move them up and down the driveway one at a time.

Anything lighter than 15kg has to be carried overhead.

Total body workout.
Sounds like fun and hard work. I might use my 20kg plates and walk them up and down my stairs. :(

Thanks for all these different ideas gentlemen. I'm not sure if this is on topic or not but, have you noticed how the people who seem to need exercising the most, always try their damn hardest to park their car as close to the entrance of a shopping mall as possible, (I'm sure some would park it inside the mall if they could)!

Has anyone here ever made a conscious decision to actually park as far away (in the car park) as possible knowing that he's going to have few bags to carry to the car? I'm sure you could add escalators vs. taking the stairs to this example. What are your thoughts on what I've just written?

Fadi.