• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Louie on the Conjugate system

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Good watch....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dsuWMAnlk]Louie on the Conjugate system Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ammXNp4FVmQ&feature=relmfu]Louie on the Conjugate system Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

One thing I've always wondered
If you lift max weights 3 weeks in a row and you start to go backwards
how do the Bulgarians lift max weights every day and progress, when they only do 7 different exercises? (snatch, clean, jerk, squat, front squat, pclean, psnatch)

Louie is a bit of a hero of mine, he's a genius.

Oni - olympic lifts are a completely different kettle of fish.

how do the Bulgarians lift max weights every day and progress, when they only do 7 different exercises? (snatch, clean, jerk, squat, front squat, pclean, psnatch)

Its a totally diff thing mate diff volume, diff training programs/methods, diff lifts, diff overload etc etc...

Louie is a bit of a hero of mine, he's a genius.

Oni - olympic lifts are a completely different kettle of fish.

I could listen to him talk all day about lifting...

I used to have hours of video...lost them all on my old computer..fuarrrrrrrrk

My question was serious
Just because you don't know the answer to something doesn't make it trolling
I asked Louis Simmons about it (such a kind fellow) and he gave me a great multi paragraph email in reply answering my question

If you still have it, post it in here.

If you still have it, post it in here.

The long and short of it was that the Bulgarians still applied the conjugate system. There are loads of different parameters that can be changed in order to get the same effect, exercises, total volume, exercise order, set + rep combinations and so on.

So while one session they may max out on squat, the next session they may do 15-20 singles with a weight at 90%, then the next they do a max double then drop down and do set of 3. He also stated that changing exercises was the better option as adaptation will still occur somewhat with sticking with the same exercises

The long and short of it was that the Bulgarians still applied the conjugate system. There are loads of different parameters that can be changed in order to get the same effect, exercises, total volume, exercise order, set + rep combinations and so on.

So while one session they may max out on squat, the next session they may do 15-20 singles with a weight at 90%, then the next they do a max double then drop down and do set of 3. He also stated that changing exercises was the better option as adaptation will still occur somewhat with sticking with the same exercises

KungFooGoo still waits for you to post said 'email'.

I've started to dabble in the conjugate system. Its pretty fun. I may start a log soon.

you get do stuff to get stronger, faster and bigger. its got it all.

last year I had lunch with an ex bulgarian weightlifting coach. We spoke a bit about the 'bulgarian training method'. It is on par with how Oni explained, varies in terms with reps, sets and intensity.

So they do max out a lot...but it isn't always in the 90% + zone. Work was typically done above the 80% mark....while the reps would vary.

Yeah, people tend to get confused with "maxing out" and "one rep max"

These are 2 different things. I could max out on 60kg squats, or 250kg squats.

Thanks PB.

last year I had lunch with an ex bulgarian weightlifting coach. We spoke a bit about the 'bulgarian training method'. It is on par with how Oni explained, varies in terms with reps, sets and intensity.

So they do max out a lot...but it isn't always in the 90% + zone. Work was typically done above the 80% mark....while the reps would vary.

Do you mind expanding and elaborating on this?
Like typical days training and how training was planned and waved? :D

Did you ask a question that you had an answer to? I'm confused..

I asked the question a few days ago
Then when I didn't get a reply I asked elsewhere
Then came back here with the answer

I dont usually post here but having researched as much on the bulgarian methods and watched some of the seminars I'll elaborate on some of it.

Ivan started with using many exercises and typically did the Russian system wheer they lifted moderate loads for very high volume, and a lot of variety. What he found was that they got better at doing those movements at that level of intensity, so they could endlessly do 80% weights for 10 doubles or something with no trouble, and technical proficiency.

Once it came to comp time, their results marginally improved if at all. He noticed that the effect of a comp environment on the human body was very different to a training environment, in a sense that you are lifting to max and that adrenaline (a hormone precursor to "fight or flight") was more evident during comp time.

So he started increasing the intensity and reducing the volume, by taking away exercises that did not provide direct benefit/relation to the competition movements. As the lifters adapted to the intensity the volume increased for the lifts that provided direct benefit and the other lifts were removed.

Eventually they were doing 3 movements, snatch, clean and jerk, front squat. They lifted to a daily max with varying volume, (NOTE: daily max, meaning the max on that day). Typically they weer allowed a certain numbver of misses on the movement, ideally as olympic movements are very dependent on technique and a miss does not usually mean "not strong enough" like in powerlifting.

the science behind Ivan's approach was that he believes the CNS would adapt to imposed demands but more or less that it was the regulator. As such it protected you from causing harm, ie squatting 200 one day and the next squatting 160 due to systemtic fatigue or any other sort of ailment.

At the same time he believed that if enough stress is placed on the organism you could promote muscle hyperplasia, increasing the number and density of the cells via splitting.

They trained year round, no deloads, no breaks. They ate whatever they wanted, they were on drugs that was a given but the mind and body is very powerful. There is a seminar on youtube you can watch which is very detailed.

In my own experiments, I adopted the same mentality for one lift, my squat. I have been stuck on a 180kg squat for the better part of a year.

Slowly working my frequency and intensity up, I worked up for the past 3 months to squatting to max 5-6 days a week, alternating squat/front squat and their paused variants.

I took my squat from 180-200 in that space, and more is still to come. Mobility has improved and aches and pains that used to be present every day are now gone.

Other good sources of info from this are interviews on John broz who was coached by Antonion Krastev, Ivan Abadjiev's super heavy lifter.

thought I'd share:
Resultater fra Frekvensprosjektet

Basically this study was done on a group of powerlifters split into two. One group did 3 days a week and the other did 6 days a week. Both groups did IDENTICAL volume. The 6 day a week group smashed the 3 day a week group on every test but the agility test. They tested the powerlifts as well as muscle mass, density and fat

Everything I have to say - has been said. There is not much point in retellijg the same concepts.

The number of exercises were kept to a slim number. Nothing like 'behind the neck jerks'...since in a competition you've got to jerk the weight off your front shoulders.

The interesting tthing is that the higher the athletes grade, the more work above 90%. This is for obvious reasons that those who are international level lifters are profficent with their technique....they need to get a lot stronger...while those at lower levels get to ddevelop technique...they also get stronger.

Im not sure of what a certain day / week would look like, doing heavy sets of fives, triples, doubles and singles was popular. Exercises were mainly kept to full and power snatch, full and power clean, full and power jerk plus front and back squats. Combo's were used at times.