• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Low or high reps?

L

lazy

Hi,

I have a question about the intensity of a workout, should I be using low weights and aiming for 15 reps or more or heavier weights 10 or 6 reps with more sets?

Im not a noob but I always hear different views on this.
I only have spare time on weekends so I want to build as much muscle as quickly as possible.
Not sure if this is relevant but I’m also cutting calories, lost 6 kilos in the past two months and not doing any cardio.

So you want to build muscle whilst also losing body fat? If you search around a bit, you will find a heap of threads on this type of stuff.

Mix high reps with low reps and make sure you are doing the 5 compound lifts in your workout. Do you only train once a week?

Well that is going to be seriously limiting.

A full body compound routine for you then.

Below I describe a sample workout. Because you only want to use weights once a week, you have to do bodyweight work to make up for it. I include links which describe the exercise fairly well.

Your aim is strength, which generally means lower reps. However, for anyone other than quite strong people (deadlift more than twice bodyweight, etc) it doesn't make much difference - the important thing is to be lifting at all. In your case, because you can only work out once a week, we must compromise; sets of 5 reps wouldn't be enough just once a week. So we have low-medium reps (8) combined with high reps of bodyweight work the rest of the week.

In your one weights workout, which should take about one hour, do,

• Squats, 1x 20 bar only, 3 sets of 8 work
  • Military press, 1x 20 bar only, 3x 8 work
  • Bent over barbell row, 1x 20 bar only, 3x 8 work [but bend at 45 degrees, rather than parallel to the ground like in the description]
  • Deadlift, 1x 20 bar only, 3x 8 work

in that order. With each exercise, begin with a set of 15-20 reps with just the bar. Then add 2.5kg and do 3 sets of 8 reps. Next workout, same warmup again, but add another 2.5kg.

At some point you'll get stuck and not be able to complete 8 reps on all 3 sets. Add another set to make up the reps, for example if you manage 8, 7, 5 then you are short 4 reps, so do 4. If you get stuck again next workout, add a fourth set of 8, again getting the total however you can, even if it's 1 rep 8 times.

When you can make all 3 sets of 8, add weight again.

Aim for correct form in each exercise, working at a comfortable speed so you don't get sloppy or too tired. Between each set rest for 1-3 minutes. Get up and walk around a bit, it helps you recover.

Since you're doing this only once a week, you'll need some bodyweight work at home. Test yourself now. See how many you can do of,
  • Pushups [ignore the exercise description's mention of adding weight to yourself]
  • Situps
  • Squats [same as a barbell squat, but with just your bodyweight]
  • Supine row [again, just your bodyweight, no extra weights]
Write down that number for each. Now halve it. You'll do 3 sets of that.

For example, suppose you manage,
Pushups 22, situps 30, squats 25, supine row 8.

You'll be doing,
Pushups, 3x 11
Situps, 3x 15
Squats, 3x 12
Supine row, 3x 8

Do these three times a week, and add 1 rep each week. Your short-term aim is 3x 25 of each. You should be able to manage this in three months.

In the same session as your bodyweight work, do burpees. Begin with 10. Then in the second week, 15. Then in the third, 20 - and so on until after eight weeks you're doing 50. Once you can do 50, try to do them quicker each time.

After this, flexibility work.

Flexibility
After each workout, strength or fitness, work on some stretches. Hold each stretch for a count of 30 breaths.

Back/hamstring - touch your toes. Every five breaths or so, as you breathe out you may be able to get further down.
Inner legs, sides - put your feet shoulder-width apart, your arms up in the air, and tilt to one side for 15 breaths, then to the other for 15 breaths. Next time, put your feet slightly further apart.
Calves - put your hands against a wall, and one foot back with the toes on the ground, now push your heel down, feel the stretch in your calf. Then the other leg.
Chest - stand in a doorway with your hands at shoulder height against the frame, lean forwards. Feel the stretch across your chest.
Arms - stretch your arms out to your sides, pushing your elbows straight as they'll go. Inner elbows to the sky, palms to the ground, turn your hand downwards, you'll feel a stretch in your forearm and bicep.
Upper back - touch your right shoulder with your left hand, put your right hand on your left elbow, and pull the elbow toward the body. Then the other one.
Neck - just tilt it to the right for 10 breaths, left for 10, forward for 10, and up and back for 10.

The stretches should take about 10-15 minutes in all.

Your bodyweight work should not require as much rest as the barbell work, you should be able to do all 12 sets in 25 minutes or less. How long the burpees take will depend on your fitness, call it 10 minutes to allow time to sweat. Then the 10-15 minutes of stretches, in all about 45 minutes.

Thus, you are doing barbells 1hr 1/week, and bodywork, burpees & stretches for 45 minutes 3/week. Make time.

For your diet, no more smoking, drinking alcohol, or drugs. Eat LOTS of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, and SOME meat, fish and dairy every day. If you want to get overall bigger, eat more starchy food (spuds, rice, pasta, bread), if you want to get overall smaller, eat less starchy food. If you want to get overall bigger and ever feel hungry, you are not eating enough; if you want to get overall smaller and don't feel hungry at least twice a day, you are eating too much. In each case, adjust the amount of starchy foods, not the other stuff.

You can only lose fat and gain muscle and strength if you are overfat to begin with - say, your waist measurement over 90cm if you're under 183cm tall. Otherwise, you must choose - either gain both muscle and fat or lose fat while maintaining muscle.

Working out in this way, you can improve your strength and muscle mass. However, with only one heavy workout a week, you'll reach a limit; and if you don't do the bodyweight work, your gains will be even more limited. They won't be zero, but they won't be as much as they could be with a regular workout.

Last edited:
Thanks Kyle, nice write up, it sux to be me lol. I am over weight so I hope this works.

Didn't read your question properly because of very low resolution monitors at work. I usually have Saturday and Sunday available, there is a gym close by but on week days after 7pm is packed with people doing nothing, its a small gym too but has everything.

I'm doing things differently but im after opinions.

I do 4 to 9 heavy sets per muscle group.

Something like this, e.g. After warm ups,every work out I do 2 or 3 heavy sets at 6rep max (using weight that enables me to do 4 reps but no more than 6)

19-09-09
MorningChestBench pressIncline bench pressShouldersDumbbell shoulder pressMilitary Press

Afternoon BicepsStraight bar cable curlsBarbell curlsBarbell curls (long grip)Barbell curls (close grip)BackCable pull downsCable rows (straight bar)Cable rows (V bar)T bar rowGood morningsDead lifts
Dumbbell side lateralsDumbbell front lateralsUpright rowsBarbell shrugs

20-09-09
Sunday
SquatsLeg lunges45* leg press Stiff leg deadliftCalvesStanding calve raisesSeated calf raisesTricepsSeated tricep extensionsLying tricep presses (curl bar)Tricep cable press downsArmsWrist curls Straight barrev wrist curls

Yes, that is a pointless muddle.

If you can only lift once or twice a week on weekends, then you have to make it short and heavy. A long workout with twenty different exercises will do you no good.

if your overweight and cant hit the gym often i'd probably focus more on your diet to begin with, you will make more progress getting your diet right each day than hitting the gym once a week.

Can't you do a bit of training at home during weeknights, instead of trying to get it all done on the weekend?
All you need are dummbells and a bench, that is enough to cover all bodyparts.
If you don't have that/can't afford it, there are still many other resistance exercises you can do with little or no equipment, ghetto style...

Afternoon BicepsStraight bar cable curlsBarbell curlsBarbell curls (long grip)Barbell curls (close grip)BackCable pull downsCable rows

Wtf is this? 50 arm exercise marathon?

Afternoon BicepsStraight bar cable curlsBarbell curlsBarbell curls (long grip)Barbell curls (close grip)BackCable pull downsCable rows

Wtf is this? 50 arm exercise marathon?

If you have read my post its 4 to 9 heavy sets per muscle.

Doing hammer curls tommorrow!

I think he's been reading Flex magazine. "But Ronnie does it!"

Nah Max Ot but instead of trying two body parts per day I train two in the morning and two in the afternoon, then two on sunday... bought encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding yesterday and have a lot of reading to do.

Care to elaborate as to why I should do it your way, I hear this all too often "dont do it like this, do it like" "Isolate the muscle" "dont isolate the muscle" "use strict movements" "cheat"":confused: its really bugging me.

The body changes because you shock it in some way. The body says, "wooah, I could barely handle that, I have to change to be able to handle it in future." Too much of a shock leads to injury - eg a 150kg person who hasn't done anything for years going for a 5km run - too little shock leads to no change - eg a guy doing 10kg bicep curls today but doesn't work out for two weeks.

A good way to shock the body is with compound movements. These are more shocking to the body than isolation movements because they involve more muscles at once - doing a bench press leaves you more tired than doing tricep kickbacks, dumbell flies, and front dumbell raises, even though the same muscles are involved, it's more tiring to use several muscles at once than in order.

Compound movements also allow you to use more weight, which puts more stress on the body, and again is more shocking.

Compound movements are more natural, in that they more closely resemble things you do day-to-day. You push yourself up off the floor - that's a bench press. You pick something up off the ground - that's a deadlift. You sit down or get up - that's a squat. You climb over a wall - that's a pullup. And so on.

Isolation movements, not so much - when do you have to bring both hands from your legs to your shoulders without moving your feet, as in a barbell curl? When do you have to bend over, hold your upper arm close to your body, and move your lower arm back and forth, as in a tricep kickback? And so on.

Compound movements are more time efficient, in that it's quicker to do a set of bench press than do a set each of tricep kickbacks, dumbell flies, and front dumbell raises. You can work your whole body in one workout with compound movements, you could never do it with isolation movements, with those you have to do splits.

The time is important to someone who can only work out once or twice a week.

Lastly, compound movements, with a full-body programme, are proven to give results. See stronglifts, which is a freely downloadable book offering a programme of basic compound lifts, no isolation work. Have a look at their success stories. After a few months of doing full-body, compound movement workouts, people have lost fat and gained muscle, are stronger and healthier.

Now find me examples where people who've done split routines of mostly isolation movements have got great results.

Google up Reg Park, Steve Reeves, Leo Robert, John Grimek and so on - all old-time bodybuilders who began in the pre-steroid era (before 1960). Protein powder wasn't even invented until 1950. All they had and did was basic compound movements and good food. And they built magnificent physiques, and were very strong.

regpark7.jpg
leorobert34.jpg
johngrimek26.jpg

No dumbell side laterals and tricep cable pressdowns for these guys.

We can show you many people who built magnificent physiques, or at least significantly improved their health, strength, fitness, flexibility and appearance using mainly or only compound movements in full-body workouts.

I have not seen a single example, drug-free or not, of someone who built a magnificent physique using mainly or only isolation movements in split routines.

Simply ask around at your gym. Ask people what they've been doing in the gym, how long they've been there, and what improvements they've achieved. You'll find those who did full-body routines with compound movements achieved a lot; split routines with isolation movements, not so much.

Isolation work is most useful when you have built up your overall strength and size, and have some part you want to bring up to balance your appearance, or to correct some minor imbalance in strength. When you can achieve,

Bench press, 1x bodyweight
Bent over barbell row, 1x bw
Squat, 1.5x bw
Deadlift, 1.75x bw
Military press, 0.75x bw
all for 5-10 reps, and
Chins/pullups, 15 reps

then it may be useful to do isolation work, or split routines, etc.

Thanks, Ill keep an open mind... just finished reading about white and red fibers... compound movements seem the go.