• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

maintaining size when you have no access to gym

nozila

Hi guys,

Im going to have no access to a gym for the next 8 weeks. Can anyone suggest what can be done so that I can at least maintain some size and not lose too much strength?? Ive been here (in a country town) for 2 weeks already and will be for the next 8 weeks.

Problem though was that I came down with a bit of illness when I just arrived - which stopped me from eating for a few days.

Any ideas what fitness related things I can do?

Thanks,

Duc

Find anything heavy, wheels, rocks, containers or sacks of stuff, friends then Pick them up, press them overhead, squat with them, carry them, tie a rope to them and drag them. Pushups, find something to hang on and do chins etc. Plenty of ways to keep busy.

when i was O/S in vietnam in the sticks with no access to a gym.. i went and quatted my wife on my back/benched her and then deadlifted and old wheelbarrow thingy filles with soil at my wifes uncles house.. lol

They though i was crazy.. as i was doing what looked to be manual labor (they were farmers) and not getting paid for it..

I wish it was that easy to pick something up and press etc etc. Except nothing like that from what I can see or scan around where I am staying (house) has that. Ive only been able to perform body weight exercises - push ups, dips using 2 chairs a few days before I got sick. I did see a playground where I can perhaps do chin ups and wide grip chins. Thanks for input so far, any more ideas?

If you can. Buy a lamb, feed it and lift it everyday.

Do some burpees Duc. Use your imagination, I'm sure you will come up with something :)

Chins, push ups, sit ups, leg raises, squats, dips, carry some heavy stuff around, etc etc

Check out 'prison workouts' or similar on youtube for ideas.

I was going to say burpees, probably the worst doms I ever had was caused from doing the 100 burpee challenge. Evil but awesome at the same time, if you can handle it :)

Any farms etc nearby? Ask if they need a hand.

You might lose some weight from general hard yakka but guarantee you'll come back fitter, most likely stronger depending on the work.

Old tires, barrels, bags of stuff, farm implements, timber beams etc can all be lifted and carried and dragged

Fill up milk or juice bottles (plastic ones) with water and use them like kettlebells..
You can do KB swings, cannonballs, goblet squats, lunges etc etc

Fill up milk or juice bottles (plastic ones) with water and use them like kettlebells..
You can do KB swings, cannonballs, goblet squats, lunges etc etc

they probably won't be heavy enough (2L bottles) unless you fill them with something heavy like gravel (add water as well). This will still only be around 4 kgs though...

You could just work on conditioning - hill sprints, pull ups, dips etc... when you get back your stamina will have increased for sure. Whatever size you lose you will easily put back on so don't worry about it too much. Just make sure you stay in shape so that getting back to the gym isn't a huge task.

20 liter jerry cans or water bottles would be heavy enough, especially for a Farmers Walk, over head presses, squats etc, plenty of fun to be had.

they probably won't be heavy enough (2L bottles) unless you fill them with something heavy like gravel (add water as well). This will still only be around 4 kgs though...

You could just work on conditioning - hill sprints, pull ups, dips etc... when you get back your stamina will have increased for sure. Whatever size you lose you will easily put back on so don't worry about it too much. Just make sure you stay in shape so that getting back to the gym isn't a huge task.
Some weight is better than no weight. Try doing sets 40-50 reps of swings with 30 secs rest even with 4kg.. I bet your conditioning will improve.

Problem is 8 weeks can turn into 8 years, as habits are formed in less than 8 weeks, it's a good idea to keep the good habits alive!!

Trust me been there done that....

Last edited:
Problem is 8 weeks can turn into 8 years, as habits are formed in less than 8 weeks, it's a good idea to keep the good habits alive!!

Trust me been there done that....

If just by having a few weeks off makes you quit for 8 years it was gonna happen anyway.

My thoughts are I love doing weights but i could not be bothered stuffing around with water bottles, logs, tyres ect. I would rather have a nice break and get back into it when I can do some proper weight training.