• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Marathon not a sprint

PTC

In my last newsletter I spoke about how powerlifting was more like a marathon than a sprint, especially compared to Weightlifting.

I used some examples, Laurie Butler and Gordon Santee, both 63.

Here is an email I just got back from Gordon

[FONT=&quot]Markos,

Thank you for the kind words. There are many examples of powerlifters actually getting stronger as they mature. In 1994, at the age of 48 with a body weight of 75Kg I squatted 247.5Kg, benched 155Kg and deadlifted 255Kg, while at the same time winning the bodybuilding contest being held at the same event. It was titled the powerlifting IronMan competition. In Capetown, South Africa in 2001 at the WPC World Championship, I deadlifted 255.5Kg for a world record deadlift and a personal best. I was 55 years of age at that time. I was 7 years older, but still managed to hold on to my strength.

I just turned 64 at the beginning of September and at my new weight of 67.5Kg, I am handling 90-92% of what I did back in the late 1980s.

As the Canadian songster Neil Young once wrote, "it is better to burn out than to rust".

A few years ago the local paper interviewed me. We ended the interview when the editor asked "well Gordon, when are you going to give this up?" My response was simply "when they pull my cold dead fingers off the steel bar!"

Best regards,

Gordon[/FONT]

Nice e-mail.
What prompted Gordon to e-mail you Markos? Did he read your newsletter?

I made friends with Gordon on our trip to the states, we went out to dinner and spent most evenings talking powerlifting.

I have been in touch with him a few times since I've been back, he'd been on the site and read the newsletters, they make him laugh.

And yes, he was responding to the latest one.

I'll ask him to join here, you guys can ask him what you like, he is the sharpest 63yo I've ever met.

I've emailed him.

He was head judge on the weekend at the Mr Olympia powerlifting and Superlifting.

He travels all over the world to judge and lift.

He has 6 daughters, here they are now

93583.jpg

Finally made it through the registration process

Gentlemen - Gordon here. In response to some of the earlier questions, I started powerlifting at the ripe old age of 33. It was partly due to a health condition (hypoglycemia - low blood glucose/blood sugar) that I was able to bring under control through exercise. My first powerlifting competition was in 1980. In the 1990-92 time frame I also took some time to enter a few bodybuilding contests, ending up winning the NPC National Masters in 1992. Powerlifting has always been in my blood and so far I have set 54 world powerlifting records and won 20 world championships. I am also a referee in 10 federations and travel almost every weekend to some event.

A rolling stone gathers no moss... or more correctly a moving target is harder to hit!

wow, now there is something to look forward too. Given all this advice, there really are no limits to what someone can achieve..

Gordon,

Great to have you join us here at AusBB. I'm 40 and was a bit concerned I've left my powerlifting run a bit late, but you're testimony to that not being true.

Inspirational lifting.

Welcome,
Mike

Glad you finally got here Gordon.

Fellas, if you want to know ANYTHING about powerlifting, a comp, a weight a lifter made, what T Shirt he was wearing at the event, Gordon will know lol

Gordon, what are some of the best lifts you have witnessed first hand, as a ref and as a lifter.

I loved your Andy Bolton story.

Killer work Gordon, especially for how late in the game you started. You are an inspiration mate, look forward to hearing some of your insight.

With all these teenagers lifting heavy around here, I thought I started really late at 26... You're an inspiration, Master Gordon!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6qWFK2FxWQ]YouTube - Gordon Santee WPF World Record Deadlift 210Kg Las Vegas Nov 14 2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agNz-feFi5k]YouTube - WPF Gordon Santee[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iap9zvj3fYA]YouTube - Gordon Santee AAU World Record RAW Deadlift 215Kg Laughlin Dec 5 2009.MP4[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r238JXu67OI]YouTube - Gordon Santee World Record 147.5Kg Squat.MPG[/ame]

Enjoy

He's been to your hometown state as well Paul, for the Worlds.

He knows Adam and quite a few of the Aussie guys

Gordan, your a legend. I started lifting at 31 years, less than a year ago, your my inspiration.