• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Massive Joe's Brutal Bicep Workout

Puggy

For along time I've seen these workouts come up on my news feed, from tricep torture to quazy quads. Today, I decided to bite the bullet and try one of these insane looking workouts. And to be honest, it was just that, insane. Absolutely recommend it to anyone who needs some more exciting or challenging. And to get that dere growth happening. My biceps hadn't grown in a month and I can feel the babies growing as I type this.

I used 20kg for warmup sets, 35kg for 8-10 rep sets, 40kg for 6-8 reps sets. Halve this for individual DB weights.

[h=1]Brutal Biceps Workout[/h]

This workout is a high intensity, high volume biceps workout designed to hit all muscles of your biceps and spark some serious muscle growth. It is short enough to be combined with a triceps workout, but intense enough to form a workout by itself.
This workout is based heavily on the Positions of Flexion (POF) training protocol, which states that a muscle can exert maximum force through 3 positions of flexion – midrange, stretched and contracted. The exercises that have been selected for this workout follow this protocol.
You will be doing a lot of forced reps in this workout, so you will need a reliable training partner.
Enjoy!
[h=3]Exercise 1: Standing Barbell Bicep Curl superset with Alternating Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl (Midrange Position of Flexion)[/h]Doing a big, heavy, midrange POF compound movement superset like this first in this workout serves 2 purposes. Firstly, you will be able to go heavy and move some serious weight. Secondly, it will fatigue your biceps so that you can really focus on the other positions of flexion.
Remember to drive through the midrange of this exercise with as much power as possible – keep your elbows in tight and close to your torso and focus on contracting your biceps with each and every rep. Make sure you don’t use too much of your front deltoid to lift the weight and try not to sway and cheat as you lift – keep your form as strict as possible!
Set 1: Warm up set with light weight for 15 reps + 15 reps
Set 2: Warm up set with heavier weight for 12 Reps + 12 reps
Set 3: First working set. Use enough weight to cause failure between 8 – 10 reps + 8 – 10 reps
Set 4: Second working set. Increase weight to cause failure between 6 – 8 reps + 6 – 8 reps
Set 5: Third working set. Keep weight from set 4 and fail between 6 – 8 reps + 6 – 8 reps
Set 6: Fourth working set. Increase weight to cause failure around 6 reps, then have your training partner help you force out another 6 reps with good form (forced reps) on each exercise.
*Rest 1 minute in between sets*
[h=3]Exercise 2: Seated Incline Dumbbell 5 Curls (Stretched Position of Flexion)[/h]This is an amazing biceps movement… but as great as it is, it is also possibly the most painful bicep exercise you can do. They are called “5 Curls” because you do 5 reps on your right arm, followed by 5 reps on your left arm, followed by another 5 reps on your right, followed finally by another 5 reps on your left. You MUST keep your elbows pointing towards the ground on each and every rep to ensure that your front delts don’t dominate the movement and YOU CANNOT put either dumbbell down until the entire set has been completed. You’re going to want to use your Team MassiveJoes Lifting Straps for this exercise!
Set 1: Warm up set with light weight
Set 2: First working set. Increase weight to the point where you can only just finish 5 reps on each side 2 times.
Set 3: Second working set. Increase weight to the point where you require your training partner to help you force out the last few reps on each side.
Set 4: Third working set. Increase weight to the point where you require your training partner to help you force out the second set of 5 reps on each side.
[h=3]Exercise 3: Preacher Curls superset with High Cable Bicep Curls (Contracted Position of Flexion)[/h]Now your focus switches to the contracted position of flexion. This means that your mind-muscle focus also needs to switch – you need to focus on contracting your biceps as hard as you possibly can at the top of each rep. This doesn’t mean doing partial reps, this means hitting full range reps and SQUEEZING as hard as possible at the top of each rep. Doing a superset will also allow you to push as much blood as possible into your biceps for an extra powerful squeeze.
Set 1: Warm up set with light weight for 15 reps + 15 reps
Set 2: First working set. Use enough weight to cause failure between 8 – 10 reps + 8 – 10 reps
Set 3: Second working set. Increase weight to cause failure between 6 – 8 reps + 6 – 8 reps
Set 4: Third working set. Keep weight from set 3 and fail between 6 – 8 reps + 6 – 8 reps then have your training partner help you force out another 4 - 6 reps with good form (forced reps) on each exercise.
Set 5: Fourth working set. Increase weight to cause failure around 6 reps, then drop the weight to about half for another 6 reps with good form (drop set) on each exercise.
[h=3]Exercise 4: Seated Alternating Hammer Curls (Midrange Position of Flexion – Brachialis Focus)[/h]As this point of the workout, your biceps will be completely hammered. So it’s the perfect opportunity to do an exercise that involves your forearms and brachialis muscles… HAMMER curls!
Make sure you keep your form perfect with every rep, squeezing your brachialis as much as possible at the top of each rep. It is very important to keep a strong mind/muscle connection during this exercise, especially since you will be exhausted from the earlier exercises.
Set 1: Warm up set with light weight for 15 reps
Set 2: First working set. Use enough weight to cause failure between 10 – 12 reps
Set 3: Second working set. Increase weight to cause failure between 6 – 8 reps, then rest for 10 seconds, then chase another 2 – 4 reps (rest-pause set)
Set 4: Third working set. Keep weight from set 3 and fail between 6 – 8 reps, then drop the weight in half and chase another 2 – 4 reps, then drop the weight again and do static holds as follows:
1[SUP]st[/SUP] rep: hold for 1 second
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rep: hold for 2 seconds
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] rep: hold for 3 seconds…
Continue until you can’t hold for the required amount of time – if you get to the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] rep for 10 seconds, you have officially switched WILD BULL mode on!

Now how good was that?! Your biceps are going to be sore as hell over the next few days! Enjoy it and make sure you feed the growth!

Big fan of the Massive Joes' guys. They're doing all the right things in the fitness industry and getting rid of a lot of the rubbish.

Don't get stupid guys. I actually posted this so you could try before you judge and make jokes.

Experienced trainers would tell you that this workout is for geared up or very experienced and genetically gifted trainers.
I could come up with a similar workout for bi's or tri's. Does that make me a good at formulating a workout? Really Massive Joe's are just stupid. I've seen their vids. Nothing inspiring at all.

Please elaborate?

Where everyone has a theoretical opinion and whinges online, they actually practice what they preach. They're really active with their videos, articles and training advice. They actively participate in the bodybuilding shows and sponsor other bodybuilders/athletes. And even though they run a supplement franchise, they're honest with their advice and actually tell people to stop taking sups when they don't need them.

I also like their positive attitude towards training where most people are about criticising others with no solutions.

High intensity, high volume, high intensity, low volume......its allllllllllll gooooood

Progressive tension overload?

I seriously CBF doing 8 different curls in a workout. Does anyone else just find them incredibly boring?

I'll do chin-ups til the cows come home though :)

I'm a bit the same... Well I don't mind doing curls (especially on a Friday night) but prefer to do lots of back work and maybe 2 curling exercises, 1 db and 1 bb