• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Max OT 5 day split

fqqs

WHat's your opinion on my new Max-OT routine? I want to go back to the basics. Any suggestions?

Monday

Back:

Deadlifts 2 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Weighted Pull-ups 2 x 4-6 (After acclimation set)

Bent-over Rows 2 x 4-6 (After weight acclimation)

V-bar Pull-downs 2 x 4-6

Traps:

Barbell Shrugs 2 x 4-6 (After weight acclimation)

Tuesday

Chest:

Flat Barbell Bench Press 2 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Incline Barbell Bench Press 2 x 4-6

Weighted Dips 2 x 4-6

Wednesday

Legs:

Squats 3 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Leg Press 2 x 4-6

Stiff Leg Deadlifts 2 x 6 (After weight acclimation)

Calves:

Calf Raises On Leg Press 3 x 6-8 (After warm-up)

Seated Calf Raises 2 x 6-8

Thursday:

Biceps:

Barbell Curls 3 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Dumbbell Curls 2 x 4-6

Triceps:

Lying Tricep Extensions 3 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Cable Pushdowns 2 x 4-6

Forearms:

Barbell Wrist Curls 2 x 6-8

Dumbbell Wrist Curls 2 x 6-8

Friday:

Shoulders:

Military Barbell Press (To the front) 3 x 4-6 (After warm-up)

Side Lateral Dumbbell Raises 2 x 4-6

Seated Rear Lateral Dumbbell Raises 2 x 4-6

Abs:

Cable Crunches 3 x 8-10 (After weight acclimation)

Weighted Leg Raises 2 x 8-10

Great routine

Have you seen I want to look like that guy?

Not sure about 4 reps on a the calves, tricep pushdowns or side/rear laterals though

4-6 on compounds is great, usually like my isolations if I do them around 8-12 ranges.

Obviously I don't know how much weight you push or how intense you train, but is 6 sets for Chest once a week enough? My preference would be more than 6 sets.

Obviously I don't know how much weight you push or how intense you train, but is 6 sets for Chest once a week enough? My preference would be more than 6 sets.

The premise of the whole program is high intensity. Heavy heavy weight, short breaks. 5-6 workouts a week 45mins ea including warm up. 1 week off every six or maybe four can't remember off the top of my head.

You our need to read the free book before doing the program it explains the whole thing, you are supposed to actually be failing to get all prescribed reps to really be at the verge of maximum overtraining (max ot)

it it is absolutely a method that works

The premise of the whole program is high intensity. Heavy heavy weight, short breaks. 5-6 workouts a week 45mins ea including warm up. 1 week off every six or maybe four can't remember off the top of my head.

You our need to read the free book before doing the program it explains the whole thing, you are supposed to actually be failing to get all prescribed reps to really be at the verge of maximum overtraining (max ot)

it it is absolutely a method that works

As Brick said it is focused around HIT training - if you can not get in this mindset then the program will not work - if you can hit 6 reps you up the weight - it looks simply of paper but it is diffcult mentally to get in the right place for the program to work sometimes.

Best to have a break every 8-10 weeks - that is a whole week off of no weight training/not just a deload.

Max-ot has pretty much been at the core of all my training for the last 11 years.

If you can get in the right head space it is a fantastic method of training....

Last edited:
Thank mates. So what do you think about the particular routine in the 1st post? Any changes needed?

Great routine

Have you seen I want to look like that guy?

Not sure about 4 reps on a the calves, tricep pushdowns or side/rear laterals though

4-6 on compounds is great, usually like my isolations if I do them around 8-12 ranges.

Yeah be careful of the tricep pushdowns in particular, my elbows didn't appreciate it.

From where I'm sitting (on the dunny) it seem like there isn't enough sets for the rest period.
From experience, when training a muscle once per week and resting for 6, it needs to abashed like a mofo and included lots of volume.
But than again, as mentioned above, may pay to read the book, the intensity might be the key to the program's success, I personally haven't tried it.

ps

How much size would you expect to get out of 5 sets of biceps, 5 sets of triceps and 5 sets of calves per week?
Personally I wouldn't expect miracles from that only that.

Last edited:
From where I'm sitting (on the dunny) it seem like there isn't enough sets for the rest period.
From experience, when training a muscle once per week and resting for 6, it needs to abashed like a mofo and included lots of volume.
But than again, as mentioned above, may pay to read the book, the intensity might be the key to the program's success, I personally haven't tried it.

ps

How much size would you expect to get out of 5 sets of biceps, 5 sets of triceps and 5 sets of calves per week?
Personally I wouldn't expect miracles from that only that.

its only to concentric failure. My concern isn't the arms, they'll get a lot of work from rowing and pressing, my concern is the Chest. 6 sets to concentric failure doesn't seem enough. Even the book says 8 sets for Chest.

I assume [MENTION=10061]Brick[/MENTION]; can get away with 6 sets for Chest coz lotz of rooting throughout the week also works the Chest. Not sure if OP is the rootrat Brick is. :D

What about scaling frequency to each bodypart once every 5 days? But how I can do it? I would like to try lifting more frequently.

What about scaling frequency to each bodypart once every 5 days? But how I can do it? I would like to try lifting more frequently.

How about just doing like the book says and running the program as is for 6 months and then deciding whether or not it works based on the results?

Your needing to stick with the setup of the plan or simply find a different plan if your wanting to chop and change it - Max-ot has been and is used by alot of natural bodybuilders - it works - but you need to stick to the plan, be consistent, eat well etc etc etc