• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

maxwolfie's Keto Workout Program

maxwolfie

Based off Lyle McDonald's Advanced CKD workout with some modifications. This thread is basically after I've ironed out some of the issues that I have due to lack of equipment at my gym (standing calf raise, leg curl - not seated)

Mon: Legs/abs
Squats (4 x 10)
* Leg curl (4 x 10) - Romanian Deadlift?
Leg extension/feet high leg press (alternate) (2 x 12)
Seated leg curl (2 x 12)
Standing calf raise - Improvising with 45 deg calf press (4 x 10)
Seated calf raise (2 x 12)
Reverse crunch (2 x 20)
Crunch (2 x 20)

Tues: Chest/back/shoulders/bi/tri
Incline bench press (4 x 10)
*Cable row (4 x 10)
Flat bench press (2 x 12)
Pulldown to front (2 x 12)
Shoulder press (3 x 12)
Barbell curl (2 x 15)
Triceps pushdown (2 x 15)

Wed: Off

Thurs: Cardio
7-10km running

Friday: Full body
Leg press/deadlift (alternate) (3 x 10)
* Leg curl (1 x 12)
* Calf raise (2 x 12)
* Bench press (3 x 10)
Wide grip row (3 x 10)
Shoulder press (2 x 12)
Undergrip pulldown (2 x 12)

Sat: Off

Sun: Cardio
~20km road cycling or ~ 10km mountain biking

Cardio: I was planning to ride on Wednesdays as well, but I think it might be better to have off (well, at least until I get used to the program more) as my legs are pretty shattered on Wednesdays due to Mondays leg workout. I might try riding again next week and see how I go. It's the squats that are doing it.

The exercises with the *s indicate that I'm still not 100% on what I should be doing. I am trying to put it all together.

Any suggestions/improvements?

Any suggestions/improvements?

depends on what your goals are. ive tried keto and dont recommend it for gaining strength or size. i do recommend it for quick weight loss but how much of that weight stays off after returning to a normal diet is debatable.

Yeah, I'm just doing it to cut. Not for strength/LBM gains. Let's see how it goes. Until then, any further comments?

theres alot that could be changed.
but how are you finding it so far? are you getting very sore? sore enough that it effects your next workout? is it taking to long? are you losing weight?

I guess I'm trying to stick to the original keto workout as planned in Kyle's book.

I am finding it fine - The only issue is that my legs are normally quite sore 2 days after my leg workout (Normally Monday). Therefore, even moderate cardio is pretty hard on my legs on Wednesday. I have been skipping Wednesday's cardio and alternating running 10km/ cycling 20km + on Thursday, at moderate/high intensity. Low/moderate intensity on Sunday, the day after my carb up normally, in order to get me back into ketosis faster.

You have mentioned half the battle, what about eating sleeping work stress and your weight and current height. also your goals?

Hammering your legs only once a week is always going to lead to doms for the next few days after the workout especially when you are eating lower calories than you need. Why don't you try two leg workouts in the week and split the exercises, it will hopefully reduce or remove your doms. On a side note training full body 3 times a week means 0 to the tiniest of doms.
Posted via Mobile Device

You have mentioned half the battle, what about eating sleeping work stress and your weight and current height. also your goals?

Good point. I have a full eating log that is updated daily in the Keto Log section of BB.com (can't post link). Work is sales type work - Lots of time in the car, walking, talking to clients in person/phone etc. Nothing really physical in comparison to other jobs. I also have a BodySpace on BB.com (Google "maxwolfie bodyspace" - Should be in the first few results), which includes, height, weight, goals etc which I update quite frequently. I much, much prefer the forum here compared to BB.com though :)

Hammering your legs only once a week is always going to lead to doms for the next few days after the workout especially when you are eating lower calories than you need. Why don't you try two leg workouts in the week and split the exercises, it will hopefully reduce or remove your doms. On a side note training full body 3 times a week means 0 to the tiniest of doms.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheers, I might try splitting up next week. Getting big lifts done on Monday, and maybe adding Shoulders to this day also.

This week, I did legs yesterday and not feeling so bad. Tomorrow will tell though. I have also split upper into Shoulders/Chest/Tri (today) and Back/Bi (tomorrow) because I was feeling like I wasn't getting enough time on each body part. Cardio on Thursday (10km run). Still doing full body workout on Friday. Sat off. Sunday will be low-moderate ~20km cycle most likely.

I can't keep up intensity with my training on a keto diet and lack on intensity means a less quality of a workout for me.

Sodont do keto honestly what are the positives?

Positives you put your body in a state of burning fats as fuel over the preferred carbos. Very hard to stick too. Also can't be in keto too long as ketoacidosis can arise and cause problems

There are many ways to burn fat. Your body does not need to be in ketosis to do so.

Fad

Fad

Fad

... Think of what happens to the bodies ph balance, uric acid and ketones are acidic to the body. Acid balance promotes disease. Its your call..

Two things:
1. I'm beginning to feel like I'm doing too many isolation exercises, and not enough of the big compound movements.
2. I'm also thinking of breaking up my "upper" day (Tuesday, typically) into two days - Chest/Tri/Shoulders and then Back/Bi (or whatever). Therefore, Monday would be legs/core, Tuesday would be Chest/Tri/Shoulders, Wednesday Back/Bi. Of course, any of this can be "re-jigged" for whatever reason (I.e. Tri/Bi, Back/Chest on the same day).

EDIT: Wait three things
3. Considering 20 or so minutes of cardio (treadmill most likely) after my Upper 1 and Upper 2 days. Or at least ONE of these days. Feeling like cardio 1.5 times per week is not really enough (Thursday, and I don't really count Sunday as it's typically pretty low intensity to my standards - It's just there to get back into ketosis from my carb up). Or read below:

ALTERNATIVELY, I guess I could stick to the original plan (i.e. Lower, Upper, Full Body) and hit cardio harder on Wednesday and Thursday. At the moment I'm either having an off day or going to the gym instead on one of these days (Wed or Thurs). These cold mornings really kill the motivation to go for an early morning jog or ride.

Any help to adjust? Keep in mind that it's keto specific (if it even really makes much difference?)

Last edited:
Two things:
1. I'm beginning to feel like I'm doing too many isolation exercises, and not enough of the big compound movements.
true
2. I'm also thinking of breaking up my "upper" day (Tuesday, typically) into two days - Chest/Tri/Shoulders and then Back/Bi (or whatever). Therefore, Monday would be legs/core, Tuesday would be Chest/Tri/Shoulders, Wednesday Back/Bi. Of course, any of this can be "re-jigged" for whatever reason (I.e. Tri/Bi, Back/Chest on the same day).
i would stick to three days, but if you want 4 days then Chest/Tri/Shoulders and then Back/Bi sounds alright.

EDIT: Wait three things
3. Considering 20 or so minutes of cardio (treadmill most likely) after my Upper 1 and Upper 2 days. Or at least ONE of these days. Feeling like cardio 1.5 times per week is not really enough (Thursday, and I don't really count Sunday as it's typically pretty low intensity to my standards - It's just there to get back into ketosis from my carb up). Or read below:

ALTERNATIVELY, I guess I could stick to the original plan (i.e. Lower, Upper, Full Body) and hit cardio harder on Wednesday and Thursday. At the moment I'm either having an off day or going to the gym instead on one of these days (Wed or Thurs). These cold mornings really kill the motivation to go for an early morning jog or ride.

Any help to adjust? Keep in mind that it's keto specific (if it even really makes much difference?)
i really dont know. ketosis is unknown to most of us so i suggest you follow what Lyle McDonald says.

I will follow Lyle's advice.

Until then, can anyone suggest a good beginner/intermediate workout plan..3 or even 4 day (max) split. I will be on a bulking diet. This will be put into action in a few weeks once I've evaluated my cutting phase. Hasn't seem to done all that much so far at 6 weeks in. I've maybe lost a kilo or two, and that could be muscle mass for all I know.

Last edited: