• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Missing a Lift

leachy

So I missed a lift yesterday. Hopefully this was put down to external factors like sleep and diet, and I can come good again this week and smash it. It was 135kg for 3 reps, btw.

I spent the rest of the workout figuring out what went wrong. Diet, sleep, training, mental state, etc.

Have you missed a lift, and what was it? How long until you beat it? What do you do when you miss a lift? What goes through your mind? How do you deal with it?

I missed a 140kg 5th rep squat last week, didn't feel good. Then I was supposed to squat Monday but my back was hurting. Starting to think it was more mental than anything though, because I was thinking about the failed lift before.

Have you missed a lift, and what was it? How long until you beat it? What do you do when you miss a lift? What goes through your mind? How do you deal with it?
Ive missed many mate. There is usually an external factor as to why, stress, sleep, kids, getting up so damn early each day etc. I just keep on battling away with determination knowing I will smash it soon.

How do you deal with it LOL?

At your age you'll have at least 30,000 workouts to go if your careful.

I've missed plenty of lifts.

I usually know if my recovery was good enough, so my misses come from either genuine stalls or me being too pigheaded to just drop the weight for a session.

After a miss I will do a back off set or call it quits depending on how buggered I am.

And I'm usually more motivated to recover properly afterwards.

(Also this mostly applies to powerlifts, I miss O-lifts because my technique is shit.)

I don't see the funny side?

It is a serious question. This is a forum for discussion. If you have something useful to input please do. If not, do not comment.

Have YOU missed a lift? What did you do to overcome it?

Well put! Don't worry about it plenty of workouts to go - just keep training consistently is the key to success. There are bound to be days sometimes even weeks where your training is going to be below par this could be part of your natural peaking cycle which is why it is so important to keep a diary of your training. I find that I run in a 5 week cycle where the 5th week I will feel a bit worn out and I just need to back down a little because my body just needs to recover from the previous 4 weeks of training.

^^ I think his point was that one failed lift or even one failed workout does not matter in the long run.

There's another kind of miss that I've only done a couple times. Only getting 17 reps out of 20 with 140kg, I still think I could have stuck it out but it's a bit different when you're under the bar. That would probably be a miss due to mental toughness. (or lack of)

No big deal just eat and rest up and do it next week

read Articles by Bill Starr: dealing with ups and downs. somewhere buried in this forum, he says even if you have your diet and sleep down to a fine art there are days where you will under perform

Last edited:
Shit, I thought it was a joke too, glad I didnt post up, you sure shot poor old Andy, WTF would he know, he was only training while you were swimming in your old mans nut sack.

So let me get this straight, its a serious question and these are serious answers, correct?

Shit, I thought it was a joke too, glad I didnt post up, you sure shot poor old Andy, WTF would he know, he was only training while you were swimming in your old mans nut sack.

So let me get this straight, its a serious question and these are serious answers, correct?
Yeah, what I am trying to get out of people is what they did to smash it on the next attempt. Was it get more sleep, eat more, root their girlfriend, take a week off, do 20 reppers as a punishment.

Just trying to create a decent discussion. Obviously Andy is going to know alot, so I would love to hear what he personally does.

Sounds like you're already well informed about your options. Sleep more, eat more, etc. What exactly are you looking for here?

Yeah, what I am trying to get out of people is what they did to smash it on the next attempt. Was it get more sleep, eat more, root their girlfriend, take a week off, do 20 reppers as a punishment.

Just trying to create a decent discussion. Obviously Andy is going to know alot, so I would love to hear what he personally does.

Maybe instead of focussing on the missed lift you should focus on what you did wrong with your recovery. Fix that. And don't worry about one miss, you're not going to PR every session and that's ok.

I may appear kunty and such, but my intention is to help and support, this hobby is a passion of mine and I have many years experience training myself and others.

Markos is the real deal.

I know what I have to do. My aim was to find out what other people have done to push through the miss.

Andy, what you get your guys to do if they miss a lift? Just attempt it again the next week, the next day?

What TJM said.

You were either mentally, or physiacally unprepeared for the training session, Usually you will be well aware of how you feel long before you get the the gym.. You either adjust your training or, dont expect great things before hand, but thats not to say you dont put in the effort, or psych yourself out of it..

If you are feeling tired, or know you havent eaten, well etc...maybe teh best way to make your body grow, could be to catch up on sleep or have a decent feed / rest, wait a day, and then hit it the way you should have.

Just put it down to bad prep and try again next week....most of my failures are because I am a tad ambitious in what i want to do.

You will always have off days, If I feel off, I cut my session short, uSually by doing less reps, but maybe a tad heavier, that way i am in and out quick, If all I can do is either bench, squat, or deadlift thats all I will do, forget the assitance execises, just focus, on a decent compound.

Just remember shit in shit out, you need to be prepared ..

So I missed a lift yesterday. Hopefully this was put down to external factors like sleep and diet, and I can come good again this week and smash it. It was 135kg for 3 reps, btw.

I spent the rest of the workout figuring out what went wrong. Diet, sleep, training, mental state, etc.

I decide if it was a food / sleep / mental thing that I could fix before just trying again another day. A missed lift isn't the end of the world, chalk it up as experience.

I don't think I missed a lift untill attempting my first 210kg Dead. I psyched myself out for that. If I miss one now it'll because of form or technique.

One thing I like to do is increase the weight-if someone is stuck on a lift, it works.
If one is stuck on 10 at a certain weight and unable to pass that rep range after some workouts, I'll increase the weight by 5kg, this often forces an increase in strength.

Negatives are also another method to stimulate a strength gain.

Remember also it's not rest one needs, but very good quality deep sleep for recovery.