• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Moulding my routine to suit football

Gauche

Hi guys!
My predicament:
I have been doing the Max-ot program( AST Sports Science - High-Performance Sports Nutrition Supplements ) for many months now and have been very happy with the results. This program requires 5 days of training for around an hour a day and isolates each muscle groups on different days. Now after reading this forum for a few months I would like to commit myself to a more full body workout, really concentrating on squats/deadlifts/shoulderpress. I'm now paying football and I'm finding my training for that to be getting in the way of my lifting results (Tue, Thur and games on Sat)

Goal:
To have a workout where i can build what I want but not hit that over training threshold (I realize in saying this it is a personal decision if I feel over trained or not but I hear so many people say over training is extremely bad and to be honest I workout so hard I always feel over trained, I really don't think running for two hours doing fitness training is good recovery for squats...:mad: ) .
Is it healthy and achievable to do full body workouts Mon, Wed and Fri and still play football three days? Or should I really decide one or the other?

Just throwing it out there to see what everyone thinks anyway...
You have all been very helpful so far...:D
Any suggestions or links to a 3 day full body would be great as well.

Llew

You have to work pretty bloody hard to overtrain. I personally haven't seen it before. The harder you train, the better you eat, the easier you can avoid over-training.

Look out for a program called 'bill starr's 5x5 progra'm or 'the beginners program' in the strength section. They'll be adequte for you

It's really quite simple: lift like a mad man in the off season.
Train like a mad man in season.
Keep lifting to once a week while in season.

Whatever you do make lifting safe. Weight training should not injure you but make you stronger and more flexible and less injury prone on the field.

Your emphasis is on squatting, pulling from the floor and pulling with minimal pushing. Sets and reps are up to you.
It all works, keep it simple and find what works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it cam down to it I would almost prefer weights training to football... hard call. Thanks SB

i suppose it depends on what you want to achieve from your lifting. do you want to lift weights to get better at football or lift weights to look good or lift weights to improve your lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead press).

if its to improve your lifts i think you might struggle, one or both will suffer. it is a tough predicament. i gave up cricket to focus on lifting.

Want to lift weights to be better at lifting weights...Play football for the social and competitive aspect.
Ill give it a go and if either is effected I suppose I will have to make that decision.
Thanks Haz

you could try some 5/3/1, two days a week.
sunday or monday- squat and bench (assistance - db row, dips, front squats)
wednesday- deadlift and shoulder press (assistance - lunges/step ups, chin ups, powercleans.)

I've been enjoying the program so far, but it is very mentally tough, especially if you set high goals.

i can send you my spread sheet that maps it all out for you if your interested.

i don't know much about how footy players train. In a book i read recently, it talks about how functional athletes (ie footy players) should have 2-3 weight training sessions per week & the rest of their time should be spent doing specific drills for their sport, so perhaps short sprints, kicking, catching, doing that thing where you run & bounce the ball...

Hey mate,

I train football players - I currently have a development squad of rugby union players and also train athletes from different football codes.

I will always break their training into pre-season and in-season and I tell them that during a season your goal is to purely maintain what you gained in the off/pre season - its pretty much impossible to keep gaining in season (strength and size) - due to playing, on field work, recovery, trying to find time to train etc etc

What I will normally do with my guys - pre-season purely strength, power and explosiveness - I currently had one of my athletes go from a 150kg deadlift x 3 to a 200kg deadlift x 3 (with ease!) in the pre-season training - now that is a great improvement for a rugby players and only in his early 20's - all about strength pre-season!

In season its to maintain so program wise I will get them on something like this - this is pretty rough because it changes player to player:

Workout 1:

Max effort upper body lift - 3-5 rep max

unilateral lower body movement - 3 x 8-10

rowing movement or variation - 3 x 8-10

DB shrugs - 3 x 10-15

Ab drills - whatever

Workout 2:

Box jumps - 3 x 3, sometimes 6 x 1 - etc changing...

box squats - changes week to week

db bench movement or variation - 3 x 8-10

rear delt/upper back exercise - 3 x 8-10

db or cable lateral raise - 3 x 8-10

ab work and lower back work (drill) - whatever

Pretty rough but its sort of the basic template of what I will use.

You can maintain your strength from pre/off season with pretty low volume in season and that is what you want to do.

No weight training in-season = weaker athlete/lost gains/strength from pre

To much weight training in-season = weaker athlete/lost gains/over-trained

By the way if you need any help then drop me a PM and we can go over in more detail.

Thats great thanks guys. Haz I would appreciate it if you could send me that routine, whether I do it or not I'm keen to learn how everyone trains. I will PM you with my email.

We finished pre season training which involved nearly all fitness and light weights high reps. Now our training sessions involve recovery cycling and skills with the occasional heavy fitness drill. I will PM you Powersports with more details of this saga.