• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscle Loss

iBug

More so of just a general thought really, this week I have been out of the gym for a full week just due to university exam week. I haven't had a rest week in a few months so I don't mind really but I was thinking today how long do you have to be out of the gym/training to start loosing muscle mass?

Thoughts, study anything would be nice to see really. I'm imagining you can if you eat right not workout for a full month, and even then if you started again it would only take a week or so to get back to where you were before.

What do you guys think?

metabolism and diet would play a major role. if you look after your diet and don't fall below maintenance, i imagine you wouldn't have any trouble having a month off.

There should be no major loss of condition from a month off training if you have been training consistently for the past year. The key is to maintain a sensible level of nutrition so your body doesn't go catabolising your muscles for protein.

Also, a trick I have learned with so many interruptions over the years, is to overtrain everything like a M.F. in the week before your lay-off. Your body will take at least week to recover from being belted and then your month off is really only three weeks off.

Oh, and it is nonsense using study as an excuse to not train. I was at my strongest in the year I got married, had our first child and was finishing off my MBA whilst still gainfully employed. Time management and prioritising what matters.

Last edited:
Yeh man, I've just had 6 weeks off everything apart from walking. My diet has been perfect and only lost a kg or two. See my back operation thread.
Conditioning/fitness leaves you a lot quicker than strength does. As I found out this morning! Ha.
As the Vonfram said, if your diet is intact, you should be ok. A week off is good for the body and mind anyway.

It's more in the mind if anything. Yes, if you take time off your strength and size will drop. How much varies on a lot of different things (genetics, diet etc). The good news is, it takes very little time to get back to where you were (provided you're not taking months and years off!) So I wouldn't be concerned.

All good. Wasn't really concerned, more so interested. But I see your point taurus about conditioning / endurance vs. strength.

Month off you won't lose anything worth worrying about unless you go full retard and cut weight while not training.

Don't agree with conditioning helping speed at all.