• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My Squat form

Mickdog

I find my back is bent and straightens up towards the end of my lift. Anyway to improve this? My form needs improvement. Is there a quick list of things I should think about while squating to help perfect my form. Its getting annoying as i'm stuck just under the 70kg mark and can't seem to improve

I use several cues when coaching the squat. In order as you approach the bar they go:
"Squeeze the bar" - grip the bar tightly and pull it into your traps.
"Chest up" - Pull your shoulders back and stick your chest out like superman.
"Big Air" - Take a deep breath into your stomach.
"Butt out / Sit back" - Engage the squat by sticking your butt out before your knees bend, and continue to sit back like you're sitting into a chair.
"Strong Knees" - Don't let your knees cave in.
"Drive through the heels" - Push up with your weight through your heels - linked to sitting back.
"Use your hips" - From half way up the emphasis is on squeezing your glutes and hips and driving them through.

If there's nothing there that helps your back flexion then you just purely aren't strong enough in your lower back and abs. The simplest fix for this is to back the weight off until you can do the movement correctly - and then treat this as your new max. Do heaps of reps with this weight using good form and your back will rapidly strengthen.

Alternatively if you can't perform the squat correctly at any weight, you may be too inflexible in your hips, glutes and hammies, causing your pelvis to tilt under.

These are all options. No-one can tell you anything definitive until they actually see you squat.

I use several cues when coaching the squat. In order as you approach the bar they go:
"Squeeze the bar" - grip the bar tightly and pull it into your traps.
"Chest up" - Pull your shoulders back and stick your chest out like superman.
"Big Air" - Take a deep breath into your stomach.
"Butt out / Sit back" - Engage the squat by sticking your butt out before your knees bend, and continue to sit back like you're sitting into a chair.
"Strong Knees" - Don't let your knees cave in.
"Drive through the heels" - Push up with your weight through your heels - linked to sitting back.
"Use your hips" - From half way up the emphasis is on squeezing your glutes and hips and driving them through.

If there's nothing there that helps your back flexion then you just purely aren't strong enough in your lower back and abs. The simplest fix for this is to back the weight off until you can do the movement correctly - and then treat this as your new max. Do heaps of reps with this weight using good form and your back will rapidly strengthen.

Alternatively if you can't perform the squat correctly at any weight, you may be too inflexible in your hips, glutes and hammies, causing your pelvis to tilt under.

These are all options. No-one can tell you anything definitive until they actually see you squat.

Thanks that will really help