• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My Squat Form

uppon2

I would like some feedback if possible. This is my post to [Article] Getting to know the squat - All you need to know about squatting

This is a great write up! Just a question. You say don't focus on pushing down with heels but rather focus on forcing the chest up and pushing the back into the bar. This comment is either being misinterpreted by myself, or I am still confused by what is correct. I have recently been accidentally doing this as I have increased the weight and was told not to do this by some other members. Is this comment supposed to be an action or a thought and should I be leading with my chest or simply pushing down on my heels to lift the weight forcing my thighs to take the load. At which point do I lead with the chest because I don't know when it would be too premature?

If on a slightly bent angle and doing a good morning I understand is not right, but it feels so natural to me to want to perform a very under exaggerated good morning while about 2/3 of the way up. I am still confused if I am doing it right or wrong because I was told to maintain the same back angle all the way up but if my back is on a slight angle once I get to the top the squat wouldn't be complete unless I am standing as upright as possible?

Also you mention to keep elbows down and under the bar rather then pulling them back. I notice Rippetoe says to pull them back to create more of a muscle shelf but to me doing it the way you mentioned is far more comfortable.

How I am leading with my chest and my form is almost identical to this Mark Rippetoe video below. As you can see towards the end and some of his last squats he really lifts upright with leading from the chest. This is why I am confused.

Mark Rippetoe

If you're squatting low bar, there is always going to be a more exaggerated lean.

As you said, if you never lead with your head and upper back, you'd never complete the squat. As long as you're not shooting your hips and then hinging ONLY at the hips to complete the movement you should be ok.

Can you put up a video?

With your mention of the elbows. Tucking them in and under tight will creat that shelf on your back. And will keep your chest up. Also in the tight tucked elbow position its very difficult to lose that upper back tension. :)
Also, on the ascent think "push chest back into bar".

Tim.

If you're squatting low bar, there is always going to be a more exaggerated lean.

As you said, if you never lead with your head and upper back, you'd never complete the squat. As long as you're not shooting your hips and then hinging ONLY at the hips to complete the movement you should be ok.

Can you put up a video?

I will do a video sometime next week and upload it. I understand what you mean about hinging the hips. I'm glad I can correct the little things that are usually only learnt from experience.

With your mention of the elbows. Tucking them in and under tight will creat that shelf on your back. And will keep your chest up. Also in the tight tucked elbow position its very difficult to lose that upper back tension. :)
Also, on the ascent think "push chest back into bar".

Tim.

So I can push the chest back in to the bar.... This whole time I have simply been lifting the entire weight just with my legs not even trying to do what you said. I noticed the heavier I got the more I would do this exact thing to actually get the weight up easier. I honestly thought I was cheating. No wonder why I am struggling. I feel 100% more comfortable and natural with my elbows under the bar, as soon as I lift them up and back it starts putting major pressure on my wrist. I only started doing it after I watched Rippetoes, where he really emphasises on it.

Thanks for the advice guys

Last edited:
The big lifts are a very individual thing. Everyone is different mate. Anyone who says otherwise, is wrong. The real trick, is finding what works for you.

The big lifts are a very individual thing. Everyone is different mate. Anyone who says otherwise, is wrong. The real trick, is finding what works for you.

I guess all I can do is lift the weight up as fast and easily as possible without losing back tightness and without doing a good morning