• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

MYOGENIX critical mass serving size

shaneo_1986

hey all i'm looking to bulk up allittle.i've used acuple of differant protein powders but i came by MYOGENIX critical mass the other day and thought i would give it try but i'm not to sure about the serving size 3 level scoops to 16ounces of water which i think is around 500-600mls with water 3 times a day.i like to drink my shakes with full cream milk.i tried 2 scoops to 500mls of full cream milk last night and it was really thick like syrup.dont get me wrong it really filled me up but i was on the sickside for a few hours for awhile because of it.what do you reckon i should change the scoop size to.

The reason the sizes are so big is because it is full of cheap fillers, probably maltodextrin. To get an ample serving of carbs you need big scoops and lots of liquid or it will be too thick,

Make this your last one then start making your own mass shakes with real fruit, oats, peanut butter, yoghurt, milk etc etc.

ok mate will keep that in mind after i finish off this stuff as i've only bought it yesterday and dont want to give up on it yet.has anyone on the forum used this stuff before

Mass gainers are as Shrek said usually filled with junk fillers, maltodextrin etc and most of the weight is going to end up as fat on your stomach

For mass gainers i personally use pure wpc or wpi mixed with powdered oats; a much better option over maltodextrin. If your looking at bulking up, making your own mass gainer shake with protein and oats only is much cheaper and you know whats in it.

There's nothing wrong with Maltodextrin. Malto will cause an insulin spike similiar to what dextrose will; thats exactly what you want during and most importantly post workout to replenish your muscles with glycogen and get the protein to them (this is why post workout shakes have protein and a simple carb such as malto or dextrose).

Now if you took a mixture of protein and malto like majority of mass gainers are, the insulin spike it creates will cause it to be stored as energy unless your body is in a state like it is during/after training.

Oats on the other hand are a complex carb, unlike a simple one the body must break them down into simple sugars which takes time. This will cause a steady insulin release and blood sugar level, which is what you want except for post workout.

Heres an idea of what I'm on about:

Mid-Morning Shake - 2 Scoops of WPC with 3/4 cup of powdered oats (provides protein and a slow acting carb)
Post-Workout Shake - 2 Scoops of WPC with 25g of Dextrose (provides protein and a fast acting carb, restores muscle glycogen levels and delievers protein to the muscles)
Before Bed Shake - 2 Scoops of WPC with Milk (milk protein is cassein, along with the fat content this will slow the digestion of the protein to last me through the night).

Insulin can act either Anabolic or as a Fat Storer, post workout it will act anabolic and therefore a spike will be useful, however if your lazing around or your body was in a normal state an insulin spike will act as a fat storrer storing carbs for energy as fat.

Last edited:
I understand and agree in what your saying in that a calorie is a calorie. But it's how the body deals with the calories. Are you saying that eating for examples sake 500 calories of Dextrose will be the same as eating 500 calories worth of complex carbohydrate like Potatoes or Brown Rice? Disregard nutrients found in them, we are focusing on the carbohydrate.

The simple answer is no as Dextrose would create an insulin spike and be rapidly absorbed into the blood stream, where as the Complex Carb that takes time to be broken down will create a constant insulin release therefore given a constant release of glucose to the blood.

Sure, you'll gain mass with mass gainers - but what do those companies determine as mass, fat, muscle or both?

btw dude don't mean to make it sound rude or anything liek that, thats just my view on it cant tell voice tone over the net :p

Last edited: