• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need Opinion On My First Cutting Cycle

Supeermann

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole cutting phase of things so just want to get people's suggestions/opinions on my current regime.
Anyway ill jump straight into the diet/supps & brief outline of my training to see if im on track.

I'm 20yrs old, 6'0" (183cm) & 86kg (190pounds) at the beginning of the cycle.

My current diet is as followed:

Meal1 - when i first wake up (10am)

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey (w/milk)

Meal2 - about an hour after (11am)

6 eggs (4whites/2normal)
3/4 cup of oats (Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday) 1/2 cup of oats (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Meal 3 - post workout

Meal 4 - (2pm)

6oz of chicken
1 cup of basmati rice
1 serve of green vegetables (spinach,beans,peas)

Meal 5 - (5pm)

6oz of chicken
1 cup of basmati rice (Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday), no rice (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Meal 6 - (7pm)

6oz of chicken
1 serve of vegetables (carrots, beans, corn)

Meal 7 - (9pm)

6oz of chicken

* also please note that sometimes my meals I have rice with ill alternate with a serving of sweet potato given my mood and what i feel like.

Supplements:

Orange Triad MultiVitamin
Now Greet Tea Extract
MuscleTech Hydroxycut Fat Burner
MRM CLA tablets
SciVation Xtend (Taken during workout only)
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein

My Workout in brief detail, generally 6-7 exercises', 3-4sets, rep range 8-12 with minimal rest in between sets, no exact set time but ruffly 30secs-1min.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Shoulders

(i may also try to fit in a leg session on a saturday, depending my plans as i feel my legs are my weak spot)
(workout is done in the afternoon around 12-1pm)

Cardio (alternating between cross-trainer, bike, stair machine & treadmill)

Monday: 45mins - medium intensity
Tuesday: 20mins - high intensity
Wednesday: 45mins - medium intensity
Thursday: 60mins - low intensity
Friday: 30mins - medium intensity
Saturday: 60mins - low intensity
Sunday: 60mins - low intensity

Well, Thats about it!
Sorry If i dragged it on a bit.
I'd love to hear some feedback/opinions about all of the above, such as what you like, hate & would change & hopefully anyone that is willing to read this, can reply & give me advice/feedback on a cutting diet/routine or there thoughts on what I have in place so far & the timeframe i should be on this.

Many thanks

Couple more questions.

What are you main goals apart from cutting obviously.

What are the calories and macros for your diet.

hey buddy thanks for the reply.

main goals would be to get body fat % down to about 10% or so, as its around 18-20% now.

i know this is going to sound stupid but what exactly do you mean by macros??
Calorie intake is ruffly 2500. give or take a few hundred calories given the day eg. high carb/low carb days.

hey buddy I also worked out from that diet i provided a breakdown of calories consumed, proteins, carbs & fats using a calorie tracker program.
On a "high" carb day: the breakdown is as followed: 2747calories, 45.4g fats, 245.7g carbs, 310.62g protein
On a "low" carb day: the breakdown is as followed: 2467calories, 42.9g fats, 187.7g carbs, 303.92g protein

breaking that down into percentages:
a "high" carb day equals: 7.54% fats, 40.83% carbs, 51.62% proteins
a "low" carb day equals: 8.02% fats, 35.11% carbs, 56.85% proteins

Does this information help?

Welcome :)

You do NOT need to be calorie and carbohydrate cycling. It is a waste of time at your bodyfat and micromanagement that offers no extra benefit unless at say 8% BF and under...

Why do you eat 7 times a day, why do you take so much protein powder, and why do you do so much cardio and why is your training split set up in the current format?

Seems to me like you're over complicating things...... which I thing Max is getting to by asking those questions, when cutting try to keep things a s simple as possible unless as Max said you're sub 10% BF or lower.

Hey thanks for the reply. Look if your gonna ask so many questions, can you at least provide your own answers to as to why or why not I should be doing/not doing those things as I get a point of view on peoples opinions? I don't see what's wrong with two shakes a day, it's very common. If you take away the post workout shake & the one when I first wake it's only 5 smaller portioned meals a day I eat. My training routine has always been a breakdown of that, havn't always been a fan of splits/push pull although if someone suggested a decent one, that was well set out weekly then I could be persuaded. And what's wrong with cardio? I do play sport so it is beneficial for that & it will also help prevent injuries which I come across from a lack of cardio previously. Hense why you need to provide your theories as to why/whynot I should be doing these things so I get your point of view. Thanks mate

Yep, at your bodyfat just a simple deficit while eating good meals will bring you down. Once you get to 12% and it starts getting a little harder, you can try a few different techniques. For now, i'd scrap worrying about eating 7 times a day. 3-4 is fine. Keep your diet full of fibrous greens, lean proteins and healthy fats (nuts etc). Fruits like blueberries are a great addition. You can throw in 1-2 shakes to fill in the gaps, and they'll provide some nice BCAAs and a few vitamins. I'd also get some fish oil into you. Multi is optional, I used to take one daily.. now I haven't taken a multi in 2 years. Don't feel any different. I wouldn't entirely buy into the 'you'll feel better on Swisse'. You'll only feel better if you're deficient to begin with, and have a poor diet. Which defeats the purpose.

Apologies for wall of text. Lazy this morning.

Hey thanks for the reply. Look if your gonna ask so many questions, can you at least provide your own answers to as to why or why not I should be doing/not doing those things as I get a point of view on peoples opinions? I don't see what's wrong with two shakes a day, it's very common. If you take away the post workout shake & the one when I first wake it's only 5 smaller portioned meals a day I eat. My training routine has always been a breakdown of that, havn't always been a fan of splits/push pull although if someone suggested a decent one, that was well set out weekly then I could be persuaded. And what's wrong with cardio? I do play sport so it is beneficial for that & it will also help prevent injuries which I come across from a lack of cardio previously. Hense why you need to provide your theories as to why/whynot I should be doing these things so I get your point of view. Thanks mate
Your reasonings can help determine my answer and in the way I relay it to you. If you wish to get help, prepare to be asked questions....

Of course I would have my own answers to those questions too, but cleary if you point out certain things then surely you could provide your own reasoning too. I don't mind questions as long as you back them up with your own theories as to why/why not too. Bit hard to learn when just asked questions with no basis. Having those questions there only leave doubt in my mind as to why they are asked & if I should/should not be doing the things questioned without a basis as to why/why not they should be done. Do you understand what I mean? Like I appreciate the help, but At the same time, explaining further would best help me learn.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole cutting phase of things so just want to get people's suggestions/opinions on my current regime.
Anyway ill jump straight into the diet/supps & brief outline of my training to see if im on track.

I'm 20yrs old, 6'0" (183cm) & 86kg (190pounds) at the beginning of the cycle.

My current diet is as followed:

Meal1 - when i first wake up (10am)

Meal2 - about an hour after (11am)

6 eggs (4whites/2normal)
3/4 cup of oats (Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday) 1/2 cup of oats (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Meal 3 - post workout

Meal 4 - (2pm)

6oz of chicken
1 cup of basmati rice

Meal 5 - (5pm)

6oz of chicken
1 cup of basmati rice (Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday), no rice (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Meal 6 - (7pm)

6oz of chicken

Meal 7 - (9pm)

6oz of chicken

Arn't you bored with all that? Acquire some increase food type variety..

* also please note that sometimes my meals I have rice with ill alternate with a serving of sweet potato given my mood and what i feel like.

A high meal frequeceny has no metabolic advantage over a low meal frequency. Do you eat that way because you enjoy it?

Supplements:

Orange Triad MultiVitamin - You are eating veggies and wholes foods, no need for this. You do not live in a 3rd world country...
Now Greet Tea Extract - never proven to do anything. drink tea or coffee instead. much more enjoyable..
MuscleTech Hydroxycut Fat Burner - Jay cutler doesn't actually use this.
MRM CLA tablets - never proven to do shit...
SciVation Xtend (Taken during workout only)..only beneficial and worth while if you are not consuming enough daily protein, which isn't a problem for you...Your body stimulates protein systhesis once from training and will comphensate once in the fed state...
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein - the only half decent thing you spent your money and even then you paid too much for whey protein...

The only supplement worth wghile using is protein powder to help you meet your daily protein needs if you can not get it from whole food types or to cut down on overal food prep.

My Workout in brief detail, generally 6-7 exercises', 3-4sets, rep range 8-12 with minimal rest in between sets, no exact set time but ruffly 30secs-1min.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Shoulders

(i may also try to fit in a leg session on a saturday, depending my plans as i feel my legs are my weak spot)
(workout is done in the afternoon around 12-1pm)

That workout routine could be a) much more efficent and b) more effective by having the appropriate training frequency for each muscle group and load on each. Read - http://www.thebodyevolutionreport.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/muscluar-hypertrophy-what-is-it-and-how.html

Cardio (alternating between cross-trainer, bike, stair machine & treadmill)

Monday: 45mins - medium intensity
Tuesday: 20mins - high intensity
Wednesday: 45mins - medium intensity
Thursday: 60mins - low intensity
Friday: 30mins - medium intensity
Saturday: 60mins - low intensity
Sunday: 60mins - low intensity

Fat Loss = Calorie deficit.Dropping bodyfat does not require cardio and only increases the effect/strain on CNS. You can add cardio if you wish to have an increase in dietary calorie intake while maintaining overal calorie deficits when activity is included.

Well, Thats about it!
Sorry If i dragged it on a bit.
I'd love to hear some feedback/opinions about all of the above, such as what you like, hate & would change & hopefully anyone that is willing to read this, can reply & give me advice/feedback on a cutting diet/routine or there thoughts on what I have in place so far & the timeframe i should be on this.

Many thanks
Answered in bold above....

Cheers for the time & effort put in mate, appreciate it. I'll have a read thru the article you recommended & go over what you've said again & then come back with questions if I have any/comments cause there are a few reasons behind my food choices etc. Is there anything else you recommend to read or go over?