• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some help with workout routine

dfly

Alright so i'm a beginner and my goals are weight gain, strength and size in that order.

I am unable to use my left shoulder due to injury, meaning I can only do leg work and one arm DB stuff.

I was thinking of doing something like:

5x5 Back Squats (if possible, I'm unsure on this yet)
Leg Press
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls

one arm DB press
one armed DB chest flys
DB rows

And that's all I've got so far. I'm unsure on how many reps/sets of each to do though, as not many programs are focused on doing these exercises.

I'm also open to ideas for other exercises to incorporate.

Thanks

rotator cuff tear

I actually have my ultrasound scheduled for today so will hopefully know more about it's severity soon

You should be able to squat fine. Upper body exercise wise will be trouble though. I would forget any unilateral exercises and just squat, a lot. Once you come back you should be pretty strong in your hips and core. Do your rehab exercises, keep squatting (some assistance lifts will be ok) an once your rehab is over bring your lower body and some deadlifting into the equation.

Look its you OP:

1287269225874.jpg

lol nice pic

i'm looking at around 4-6 months before i can do bench/any overhead lifts, probably be able to deadlift a sooner though.

but yeah, looks i've got some funs months of squatting ahead

I'd rather be able to squat than doing nothing at all to be honest. And listen to dave. MikeW (another guy who had a shoulder injury) was squatting 3 times a week and his squatting strength went up crazy fast. in 4 -6 months you'll have a monster squat.

Shoulder injuries are annoying and painful!! Just be careful with the way you support the bar on your traps/shoulders because it puts the arm and shoulder in the very vulnerable "stop" position. The last thing you want is to tell people you fucked your shoulder squatting. :p

When my shoulder was at its worst all I could do was zercher squats and deadlifts... I quite enjoyed that actually.

Be careful with the back squats, they were one of the first things I had to quit because of my shoulder.

Totally agree - squats and lower body assistance work until your shoulder heals.
But, there's a fair bit of evidence to show that training unilaterally (doing one limb movements) not only preserves some of the strength and size in your uninjured arm (obviously) but because you can't shut off the neural stimulation to your injured arm, they've found you retain more strength and size in the injured limb, even though you're not training it directly. Normally used for injured athletes who need to return to play as soon as possible.
I'm just putting it out there - I can't honestly say that i'd bother, but there's certainly nothing wrong with continuing to use the uninjured arm.

The problem with him going all unilateral is that he is a newb and has a while of rehab ahead of him and will most likely have a large strength imbalance once he is able to lift again.

Good argument. Still, i'm not suggesting he go all unilateral - one upper body session a week of compound movements would have been my suggestion.
But you're right - being that new to it he may as well just focus on squats etc.

I was thinking the same thing but decided it would be smarter for him to work on his rehab and focus on a lot of scapula retractive work (bands etc) as his rehab allows.

well just as an update.

ultrasound results were good, no apparent tear in the rotator cuff. however it's suspected I have a tear in the labrum, most likely a SLAP tear which would probably mean surgery and I don't think I'd be able to squat for a while afterwards.

Is there any exercise that will help me bulk up that I could do during that period.

Nice. SLAP lesion, good work on that one.

If you can actually squat with a bar on your back try that (ask Doc first and then try). If not it looks to be machines for you for the time being, not optimal but at least it is something. Leg Press and back extensions, plus anything else you can get away with.

cheers will do

hopefully if i do need surgery i can get it over and done with quickly. it's so frustrating getting appointments with doctors atm with all the referrals back and forth it's taking forever just to get a definite answer on what's wrong with the shoulder.

wow, i wasn't aware about safety squat bars.

they look really useful, almost definitely going to get one.