• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New Program

nayr37

Need some input.

29 85kg@179cm
Current 1RM Bench 120, Squat 130, Dead 165, Press 80
Goals 140, 160(2xbody weight), 200 (2.5body weight), 100

In the past I have got hold of programs from various places, mags, internet, forums etc. I have tried a few different approaches over the last few years from the traditional(boring) to DC/Heavy Duty style programs (way to intense)...anyway I have enjoyed tracking my constant and consistent results with 531.

Anyway I wondering what others thought?

Chest (Mon)
Bench press 5/3/1
Incline DB Press 4x6,6,10,10
Flat DB Flye 4x6,6,10,10
Skull crushers 4x6,6,10,10
Bench press 1xRP 11-15

Back (Tues)
Deadlift 5/3/1
T-Bar Row 4x6,6,10,10
chins 4x6,6,F,F
Preacher curls 4x6,6,10,10
Deadlift 1x

Legs (Thurs)
Squat 5/3/1
Leg Press
4x6,6,10,10
Lying Curl 4x6,6,10,10
Squat 1x20
Calves

Shoulders (Fri)
Military press 5/3/1
Arnold DB Press 4x6,6,10,10
Incline BB raise 4x6,6,10,10
BB Shrugs 4x8,8,12,12
Military press 1xRP 11-15

My goal is simply to get stronger.

If I get the required rep, next week I go up in weight. If I stall I swap it out for something else.

The last set I Rest Pause twice (not squats or Deads though) to get to the required rep range.

Anyway, Just looking for some input on anything to add/fix up or watch out for. I have only been going for a few years so not going to pretend I know anything. lol

thanks

Last edited:
Doesn't look too bad.
Few suggetsions/questions:

Ditch flies unless you plan on using them as a stretching exercise (in which case you'd want higher reps anyway) in favour of an overhead press - BB or DB. Possibly add some rear delt work to this day too
If the T-bar rows are chest supported might as well change it to wide grip seated row. This is just a personal preference as I found the seated row was more effective at activating the back muscles than the T-bar.
Any reason you have chosen preacher curls over standard BB or DB curls?
Squat day:
5/3/1
BB squatsx20 (if you're crazy enough to do a 20 repper after 5/3/1 lol, personally I'd save those for the deload week but each to their own!)
Front Squats 4-5x4-6
Hamstring/Posterior chain exercise 3-4x5-7. GHR if you have one available otherwise RDLs, GMs or hyperextensions
Then a couple of high rep sets (15-20) of either GMs or RDLs to stretch the hamstrings and your calves/abs at the end if you want

Seeing as you said your goal is to get stronger, then I would change a few things with the assistance work. What you have there is if you wanted to just do bodybuilding with 5/3/1, not focused on strength. Imo with 5/3/1 the trick is to use your assistance work to help whatever is your weak point on a lift. For example, bench press, weak at the top then do some chains/bands/board press, weak at the bottom pause some reps (I think?).

my bad I guess. I want to follow more of a bodybuilder program, hence the post in this section, while improving my 4 main lifts. I have done jack shite since moving country, finding a new job and getting setup. Eased myself back in last week and set 2 PB's this week! The forced layoff helped somehow. lol.

Yeah, so just looking to hear if I have a good basic program and volume on paper. I have sort of taken ideas that I liked from here and there. Bookended the 531 lifts with the last set Rest Paused twice to wipe me out before leaving.

T-bar rows are chest supported might as well change it to wide grip seated row.

Any reason you have chosen preacher curls over standard BB or DB curls?

Good call on the T-bar Row. I agree.

Preacher curls, for something different more than anything else. I will probably rotate some of the assistance work for sanity. I'm probably one of the few at my local gym that, usually, don't train arms. I haven't had a proper arm day in 6 months. They seem to get hit hard enough not to warrant the attention.

If you're strong enough to do it, wrap a towel around the chin up bar and hold onto that doing chins.
I've found that with chin ups, doing them in a way that challenges grip more than normal (so holding the towel, doing it with rope, wrapping the towel around the bar to make it thicker) also tends to hit the gun show a lot harder than the conventional underhand grip on the standard sized bar.
Obviously you get a fair old forearm burn as well, but the first few times trying the variations I got massive DOMS in the upper arms