• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to all this

YoHoJo

Hi, im new to this and want to get into the bodybuilding scene. i currently am 88kg and 179 cm i would like to lose some fat while still gaining muscle, any tips on diet would be great

also if someone could post an example spreadsheet/s i would like to create one to keep track of my weight either daily or weekly to create a graph and be able to track it

i would also like to make one to show the macronutrient i consume and one to track my progression with the weights im lifting

sorry for coming here and asking a million questions especially asking for spreadsheets just cause i can not make them

also what are your thoughts on max ot training?

Last edited:
It's a bodybuilding forum not an IT forum.

You don't need a spreadsheet, just write it down and track progress. Alternatively buy an iPhone or android app

It's a bodybuilding forum not an IT forum.

You don't need a spreadsheet, just write it down and track progress. Alternatively buy an iPhone or android app

thanks, yeah i know that i just thought some people here might use spreadsheets to keep track of everything, i have an iphone what apps do you suggest?

can you answer my question about losing weight and gaining muscle, also what do you think of the max ot link i posted?

also do you think 88 kg at 179 kg is fat?

Hi, im new to this and want to get into the bodybuilding scene. i currently am 88kg and 179 cm i would like to lose some fat while still gaining muscle, any tips on diet would be great
Welcome to ausbb YoHoJo,
I'd start by reading the stickies and articles listed on the front page of this forum and in the Nutrition & Diet Forum

also if someone could post an example spreadsheet/s i would like to create one to keep track of my weight either daily or weekly to create a graph and be able to track it

i would also like to make one to show the macronutrient i consume and one to track my progression with the weights im lifting
I don't see why you'd need a spreadsheet for this, it's just as simple to write it down or keep a record using microsoft word or similar

- Define your goals
- Keep it simple, it's not rocket science
- Lift heavy weights
- As a beginner focus on the basic compound movements
- Eat well
- Sleep well
- Be consistent

Last edited:
train hard, eat plenty of high protein foods, rest, sleep, recover...grow....its not rocket science...not need for excel spread sheets n all that shit...

max-ot training is a good training program..i follow a varation of it myself....

I would see sticky for an awesome spreadsheet! I use it and gained least 10% on all compound lifts in a 12 week period. Rinse n repeat

Welcome to ausbb YoHoJo,
I'd start by reading the stickies and articles listed on the front page of this forum and in the Nutrition & Diet Forum

I don't see why you'd need a spreadsheet for this, it's just as simple to write it down or keep a record using microsoft word or similar

- Define your goals
- Keep it simple, it's not rocket science
- Lift heavy weights
- As a beginner focus on the basic compound movements
- Eat well
- Sleep well
- Be consistent

x100 - didnt see this coz i was on my phone...the 1st step to failure is overthinking

thanks i will look into getting a high qualitity protein, so the spreadsheets are gone, just thought it would keep me motivated, what variations are you doing joel?

just curious are there any dvds like one called 'i want to look like that guy'? a friend told me about it and im might buy it off their site it looks pretty good

also i need to know proper form for squat, deads and bench where are some good easy to understand tutorials on them?

I would see sticky for an awesome spreadsheet! I use it and gained least 10% on all compound lifts in a 12 week period. Rinse n repeat
thanks for that, not sure if im going to do it, i might keep track on my phone and update it once a week, is it ok if i pm him for it?

x100 - didnt see this coz i was on my phone...the 1st step to failure is overthinking
thanks i will keep it simple

i just opened one by PTC

If you are just starting out a, I would suggest doing starting strength for the next 6 or so months and from there move on once you are a bit stronger. There are spreadsheets out there for it if you are so inclined, just google them.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows

rotate between each, mon wed fri
or
*** is optional
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
rows 3 x 5
***Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
row 3 x 5
***Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Question - What weight should I start with during the first week?

The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 5 repetitions with proper execution and technique.

The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until form/technique breaks down. Keep the weight there, correct the technique problems/weak points, and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

However, since we're talking about the internet, where 99% of all novices do NOT use proper technique, it has proven itself to be useful to advise that the trainee drop anywhere from 5-15% off his 5-RM, and start his next workout using that weight.

Yes, this is low. It allows for a certain fudge factor that is present when dealing with a novice's ability to evaluate his own technique performance.

Generally, if a newb says "I benched 135 x 5 for the first time, my technique was great!", what he really means is that "I benched 135 x 5, but I probably should've only used about 120 or 125"

Be on the safe side, start lighter than you think you need to, and go from there. This also helps develop a base of conditioning with slightly less weight than absolute max, which helps reduce initial DOMS.

Let me say that one again.

Start off using weight that is LOWER than you think you can handle, and progress upward. It is better to use weight that is too light than weight that is too heavy.

Question - How much weight should I add from workout to workout?

for young males that weigh between 60-80kg ., deadlifts can move up 5-10kg . per workout, squats 2.5-5kg lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate (5kg deadlift - 2.5kg squat). Bench presses, presses, and cleans (edit - and rows) can move up 2.5kg/5kg. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5kg per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans and snatches, and assistance exercises.
The general rule of thumb developed by me (for internet instruction purposes):

1) If you get all 3 sets of 5 with proper technique, then move the weight up as described above.

2) If you get all 3 sets of 5 with proper technique, but bar speed was exceedingly slow on the last few reps (i.e. you busted a nut trying to complete your reps), then you may end up stalling if you add the full amount. Err on the side of "lower". i.e. don't add 20 lbs to the deadlift, add 15. Don't add 10 lbs to the press, add 5 (or even 2.5), etc.

3) If you get the first 2 sets of 5 with proper technique, but you only get 4 reps on the 3rd, then determine if it was a "recovery deficit" (4 hours sleep last night/skipped meals, etc) or a "technique deficit" (body wasn't tight during presses, leaned forward too much in squat, etc). If the strength or technique deficit was an anomaly and/or is easily correctable, then you can probably add the normal amount of weight as described above. If the weight just felt dog heavy, then add only a bit more, or even keep the weight the same for the next workout. Better to get your 5/5/5 next workout then get a 5/5/3 or a 5/4/4 with a heavier weight.

4) If you get at least 12 or 13 of the reps total (i.e. 5/4/4 or 5/4/3 or 4/4/4) then keep the weight the same for the next workout.

If you get something strange like 5/5/2 or 5/3/4 on your 3 sets, then you probably just need to be more mindful of rest periods. Best to use 3 minutes between pressing, cleaning and rowing work sets and up to 5 for squats and deadlifts if necessary. For now, use a little too much rest rather than too little rest.

If you can't get at least the first set of 5, or if you are missing 2 or more reps each on the 2nd and 3rd sets, then you are using too much weight, assuming you recently started training.

If you had been making progress, but then all of sudden, you have several workouts in a row where you can't add weight to the bar for an exercise and get your 5/5/5, then see the sections on "stalling"

More here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

^ a couple of good points hidden in there but the rest is over complication at it's best
Is it just me or does everyone these days think that everyone is/ wants to be a powerlifter?

Last edited: