• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

OATMASS - pricing

^ 2nd that, never tried Oatmass but I just got 20kg of superfine oats and loving it

Okay, it's about time I killed some confusion around here.

The last time I checked, Oatmass was super fine, so now that we have another name for it on the market, some people are applying a distinction to one over the other. I know that Oatmass has a GI value of about 70-75, which makes it good for insulin spiking and therefore a product that can be had pre/during/post workout. Oats on the other hand have a GI value of about 50, which could be higher if one was to use it for the above mentioned timings.

Pulverising the Oat grain into a powder that resembles WP or finer still, does give it more surface area which makes it much easier for digestion as well as quick absorption. No rough fiber to slow anything down here.

I believe you would find oatmass (which for a short period of time was called oatmucle by Fitness central) to be the one and the same product given two different names by two different suppliers, which is only natural really. So go ahead and buy the cheaper one (not version since it's one and the same version) and save some money.

PS: You may find that my information re the GI index contradicts both web sites. That's because they're saying it's a slow carb and I'm saying it's a fast carb, one that can be used to spike one's insulin levels. What needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that we no longer have the oat grain in its original state, but rather in its highly processed state now. It's a difference that I've chosen to acknowledge, they (both companies) haven't...yet!

Fadi.

Okay, it's about time I killed some confusion around here.

The last time I checked, Oatmass was super fine, so now that we have another name for it on the market, some people are applying a distinction to one over the other. I know that Oatmass has a GI value of about 70-75, which makes it good for insulin spiking and therefore a product that can be had pre/during/post workout. Oats on the other hand have a GI value of about 50, which could be higher if one was to use it for the above mentioned timings.

Pulverising the Oat grain into a powder that resembles WP or finer still, does give it more surface area which makes it much easier for digestion as well as quick absorption. No rough fiber to slow anything down here.

I believe you would find oatmass (which for a short period of time was called oatmucle by Fitness central) to be the one and the same product given two different names by two different suppliers, which is only natural really. So go ahead and buy the cheaper one (not version since it's one and the same version) and save some money.

PS: You may find that my information re the GI index contradicts both web sites. That's because they're saying it's a slow carb and I'm saying it's a fast carb, one that can be used to spike one's insulin levels. What needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that we no longer have the oat grain in its original state, but rather in its highly processed state now. It's a difference that I've chosen to acknowledge, they (both companies) haven't...yet!

Fadi.

Damn I thought it was a slow-ish carb, thanks for the update fadi.

Hi Fadi

So is there any benefit over buying these superfine products rather than buying a 1kg bag of coles brand for $2 and sticking it in the blender? granted it doesn't get it quite as superfine as WP powder etc, it still gets it fine enough to use in shakes.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi

So is there any benefit over buying these superfine products rather than buying a 1kg bag of coles brand for $2 and sticking it in the blender? granted it doesn't get it quite as superfine as WP powder etc, it still gets it fine enough to use in shakes.

Damo, I've never put oats in a blender. However from what others who have done so write, its consistency is nowhere near as fine as the commercial product. Having said that, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go and experience for yourself what type of consistency you get from doing so.

Generally speaking, once a food has been blended into fine particles with liquid added to it, this would really facilitate its digestion and absorption into our blood stream.

Fadi.

Damo, I've never put oats in a blender. However from what others who have done so write, its consistency is nowhere near as fine as the commercial product. Having said that, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go and experience for yourself what type of consistency you get from doing so.

Generally speaking, once a food has been blended into fine particles with liquid added to it, this would really facilitate its digestion and absorption into our blood stream.

Fadi.

and for $2.00 that's quite cost effective ...

oats + coffee grinder = winning combo

oats = $1.20kg (generic)
coffee grinder $70 (decent)

sooooo much cheaper

won't grind as fine but gets pretty close to it and you save $17 a kilo (and postage). even purchasing 20kg raw and the grinder works out $4 cheaper than 20kg of the pre ground stuff

food for thought, yes pun intended...