• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic lifts

0ni

Registered Rustler
So I practiced some olympic lifts today and have a few questions and thoughts.
On snatches, rippletits recommends holding the bar so wide that the bar hits your bladder area in the locked out position. Well I have a problem with that, as I have very long legs, a short torso and fairly small wrists. Now while this makes me a decent deadlifter, to get this position in the snatch I am literally touching the sleeves with my hands and have a hard time gripping the bar. Any tips? Here is a pic so you can see my proportions:

9EXev.jpg

I've found out that these lifts are very technical and I will have to practice form with the snatch for a while before I add weight, powercleans are fairly easy for me though. Are there any decent reads on olympic lifts? Sort of like Starting Strength but for the olympics lifts. Anything with decent info on hang lifts, power lifts and then the full lift would be great

Oni,

many taller and long armed lifters have their hands out on the sleeves in the snatch. I am one of them.

It would be very hard to comment unless actually seeing you lift but chalk up and get a good tight hook grip. Do you have access to a lifting coach? An experienced coach would likely be able to fix or assist you very quickly.

I find when teaching new lifters to snatch.... particularly the younger kids who are lifting with a full sized bar but have smaller hands, that they need to have good use of resetting their grip in the high hang position. The first few sessions and warm ups are even more necessary. This is easy to do by pushing the knees out to the side to create a shelf for the bar whilst really doubling over at the waist so you can re-adjust your hands.

The location of the start of the 2nd pull needs to be high on the body as you describe, just above the pubic bone. Otherwise the bar will be out over the toe to begin the 2nd pull and you'll find yourself swinging it back to you in the 3rd pull.

Get some in-person coaching, even a day or two will save you many weeks of trying to make it work.

Ok thanks. Unfortunately I don't have access to a coach, it's just something I want to do on the side. Any suggested reading?

If your wrists find the snatch positions uncomfortable (mine, for example, would get aggravated from the overhead portion) I would recommend wrist wraps of some description. I use boxing hand wraps personally.

does your bar have grip that goes all the way to the sleeves? some dont.

I used to snatch with my arms on the collar but i moved them in about 5 cm each and feel much better. play around with it. if you can get to a coach then youtube and your camera are your best friends.

Yeah it does but it's worn out for some reason lol. I can film my lifts and ask Glenn Pendlay for advice though. I think I'll wait until I'm snatching 60kg before I bother him with car crash form lol

Hey mate your profile says you're from Gawler, Have you spoken to Fuz at 'The Cave yet?

He is the grand master of the Snatch. ..

Also check out my video blog on Oly lifting alternatives, Part 2 should be live next week :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBoQFUwgPc]Urban Fitness Solutions Adelaide - Olympic Lifting Alternatives - YouTube[/ame]

There will be a PTC in Adelaide within 2-3 months (also owned by Fuzz)

The kid cleaned 170kg(?) at about 17 y/old. Knows his shit

hmm cool, I'll probably give it a go in about a year then. I'm a bit busy and strapped for cash at the moment due to the move but I think it would be great to finally lift with people better than me again. I contacted Glenn Pendlay about a decent program that matches all my goals (power lifts, olympic lifts, general get-biggery) and he gave me this real killer program and how to progress from lift to lift for free! So I'll be starting that next week which means 2 months of time invested in 5/3/1 will go to waste but oh well lol

can you post the program Oni? i wouldnt mind having a look at it. i like all glenns stuff, and read his forum most days.

Last edited:
Olympic Lifting & Powerlifting Program
Bill Starr / Glenn Pendlay 5x5 (Madcow w/ olympic lifts pretty much)

Monday:
Squat: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Bench: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Barbell Row: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Powercleans: 5x5 - Practice Form
Snatch: 5x2 - Practice Form

Wednesday:
Squat: 4x5 - First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again
Clean & Push Press: 4x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5
Deadlift: 4x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5
Weighted Chin-Ups: 3x8

Friday:
Squat: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
Bench: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
Barbell Row: 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
Weighted Dips: 3x8
Curls: 3x8

Barbell Rows will be swapped for Powercleans when excellent form can be acheived. The 1x8 downset on Friday will become Front Squats. Same goes for snatch

looks pretty tough.

I wish i could train the oly lifts more frequently but no real access to coaching near by. so i just focus on getting as strong as I can so when i commit to oly lifting fully I'll have a solid base of strength.

I really like Justin at 70s big olylifting program. he assumes that you know how to do the lifts fairly well:

Monday
Clean and Jerk heavy
Snatch sets across-on the min

Tuesday
Squat
Press
Chin-ups

Wednesday Off

Thursday
Snatch heavy
Clean and jerk singles across

Friday
Squat
Bench
deadlift

Yeah looks good. From what I gather after doing research over the past few days the olympic lifts are very dependent on your front and back squat.

I find that you can clean & jerk what you can front squat for a triple and best way to increase front squat is back squats mainly