• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

opinions wanted, please

Queensland5

hey, ive been lifting for a few years now (only seriously for the last 6 months) and have made some great gains recently......but i think ive hit a plateau.....a friend suggested i do a 8-12 week strength training routine. I have NEVER done low rep work but am keen to give it a try, ive always stayed in the 8-10 rep range and occasionaly do up to 12. My mate said this will help me put on a few extra kg's in a short time. I done my first low rep workout today witch consisted of BB benchpress 4 sets of 3-5 reps, dumbell bench press 4 sets 3-5 reps, incline b press 4 sets 3-5 reps, weighted dips 4 sets 3-5 reps. Im going to have a back day and a legs day. for the back day i have decided to go Deadlifts, weighted chinups, T bar row, Seated Row....with 4 sets of 3-5 reps with about 2-3 minutes break between sets. My leg day will be Squats, Leg press, Lunges and weighted ab work. Can anyone tell me if this is the right way to structure it ect?.....and im aware of the importnace of eating well...is there any exercises i could add or take out? After todays low rep workout i feel really really stuffed! i never feel this tired afterworkout so i guess it has shocked me.....any suggestions, ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks. im thinking maybe swap the seated row for a bentover barbell row????

My advice would be to read some of the members journals, after reading a few you will probably see a pattern emerging in regards to compound exercises squat,deadlift, bent row, military press, bench press etc.

Your core gets enough work from the deads and squats alone, do them every session 3x a week with the other compound exercises.

Rep range isnt as important as you may think, what is important is effort and progression (more weight/reps than last session et). Isolation exercises are for experienced bodybuilders, we (beginners) need to get as much muscle moving as possible every session and we do this with compound movements.

Now the most important is your diet, if you are still eating the same amount of food as you were 6 months ago, your body will grow to start with but you will quickly reach your limit with that amount of calorie intake. As your muscles grow they burn more energy, to keep them growing you need to feed them more, and more until you have reached a goal weight.

dude, i know what an isolation is and i know what a compound is....and im not a beginner.....ur reply dosent help at all....im well aware of the importance of nutrition, and yes, obviously u need to consume more calories as u increase ur muscle mass, where u trying to sound like a ****wit or did it just come across like that?...i just wanted a few tips ect....u have told me things that are obvious!

Mate his reply was quite good, and given your attitde, more than you get from anybody else now.
His reply was also well written, maybe take note of that. Most people won't take the time to understand rubbish like your original post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is it just me or our we getting a lot of cocky douche bags on here lately?

Your advice was good eagle.
Posted via Mobile Device

low rep is good.

i would get rid of one of your incline or db bench, and add overhead press. also on your set up i would go monday legs, wed chest and friday back. always look to add weight and dont worry about rest periods, have as much rest as you need to lift the most weight.

but im not a beginner,my benchpress 1 RM is around 120kg......beginners dont lift that. I have done a beginner type programe in the past. I was wanting to know if doing strength training (witch i have never done) will help me with my gains. A mate suggested to go low reps for a few months, good idea or not?.

Don't you think this information would have been good in your first post?
Or even your second post instead of abusing somebody that was trying to help?
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks HAZ, hahaha i made sure i mentioned the fact that im aware of the importance of eating well, yet some douche still mentions it....LOL eating is like a part time job for me LOL.

I am sorry, i just thought he was being a smart ass as i had already said i understood good bodybuilding nutrition ect but he still wrote a paragraph about it. Sorry about the writing, im a talker not a writer lol.

Taking the time to look at some members journals will give you an idea of the gains a lot of people have made on strength programs.
Strength programs are based on compound lifts - do them bigger, or longer, each time you workout.
Diet is a key to a program's success. You mentioned little about diet in your post.

All these were great tips or assertions from Eagle's reply which you chose to abuse!
You may have a big bench press but your replies suggest a beginner's attitude.

That said, I wish you luck for whatever program you chooseand hope you break your plateau!

This is for people who had trouble/gave up reading the op

hey, ive been lifting for a few years now (only seriously for the last 6 months) and have made some great gains recently......but i think ive hit a plateau.

A friend suggested i do a 8-12 week strength training routine. I have NEVER done low rep work but am keen to give it a try
Ive always stayed in the 8-10 rep range and occasionaly do up to 12. My mate said this will help me put on a few extra kg's in a short time.

I done my first low rep workout today witch consisted of BB benchpress 4 sets of 3-5 reps, dumbell bench press 4 sets 3-5 reps, incline b press 4 sets 3-5 reps, weighted dips 4 sets 3-5 reps.

Im going to have a back day and a legs day. for the back day i have decided to go Deadlifts, weighted chinups, T bar row, Seated Row....with 4 sets of 3-5 reps with about 2-3 minutes break between sets.

My leg day will be Squats, Leg press, Lunges and weighted ab work. Can anyone tell me if this is the right way to structure it ect?

im aware of the importnace of eating well..

is there any exercises i could add or take out? After todays low rep workout i feel really really stuffed! i never feel this tired afterworkout so i guess it has shocked me.....any suggestions, ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

im thinking maybe swap the seated row for a bentover barbell row????

Some stats would be nice... BW, squat/bench/dl maxes, etc.

There's enough proven strength routines out there... just look. Also you might not be a beginner lifter but you're obviously going to be a beginner strength trainer so try a bit of humility on for size.

Madcow/Bill Starr's 5x5
Sheiko
PPP

Last edited:
I and possibly others might suggest that you probably don't know as much about diet as you think you do otherwise you'd have adapted yours to work around your plateau...

Last edited: