• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Other sports?

Just wondering what others in here do? Besides any competitive weightlifters, powerlifters or crossfitters
Does anyone train for another sport? Perhaps that's how you got into lifting?

Myself, I waterski (slalom) and its pretty much what got me back into lifting, which in turn got me into toying around with WL..
Being short (for a skier), my strength to my bodyweight can be an advantage, though can sometimes lead to bad habits as I'm strong enough to get away with them

I originally got into lifting to build some muscle and lose some weight for Footy (aussie rules), but used to like spending more time in the gym then training for footy as much as I loved playing the game wasn't big for training....

Basketball. Play monday, train tuesday, play thursday. Find it takes it out of you sometimes but more than likely the getting home late after a game through out the week. Lifting has definitely helped in most aspects. I still am not dunking but hopefully can cram it by end of the year

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

The only thing I actually train for is freediving, and by train, I mean static breath hold training, using tables. The only way to actually 'practice' the other part is get in the ocean :)

Started lifting as I was training bbj/mma. Got injured and now can only do that from time to time.

Don't know if you call it a sport but bar calisthenics is definitely a hobby of mine also.

Practical Pistol shooting. The power training helps my body move quickly over courses of fire even though my scores still suck due to inefficient movement. I originally took up weights early teens to help with martial arts and because Van Damme had pecs.

started off as a cyclist ,used to right past the local gym all the time without batting an eye lid about joining up , one day thought stuff i will check it out ,the cost wasn't as bad as i thought

Started lifting dumbbells as a kid cause I thought stronger biceps would help me bowl faster playing Cricket lol.

Did a lot of Martial Arts. Had a lot of mates who were in Security and Bouncing etc so needed to build up to do some of the same.

Now lifting is a lifetime pursuit for me.

Started lifting as I was training bbj/mma. Got injured and now can only do that from time to time.

Don't know if you call it a sport but bar calisthenics is definitely a hobby of mine also.
Do you find you have to trade off between relative strength and deadlift/squat strength.

Since my legs have blown up from squatting I can't even hold a 1 arm lockoff :_(

Aussie Rules, train Tuesday and Thursday and a game on weekends.
In season definitely makes it hard with lifting due to niggling injuries and strains etc, but weight training has helped a lot.
Give me a cup of concrete for those niggling injuries :)

Do you find you have to trade off between relative strength and deadlift/squat strength.

Since my legs have blown up from squatting I can't even hold a 1 arm lockoff :_(

Not exactly sure what you mean?

BJJ/wrestling is definitely easier as a heavier and stronger (power/weight) than what I was. But now my BJJ technique is average. Wrestling (especially take down defence) is much improved. Hip strength makes it so much easier despite having pretty average technique also.

Aussie Rules, train Tuesday and Thursday and a game on weekends.
In season definitely makes it hard with lifting due to niggling injuries and strains etc, but weight training has helped a lot.
Give me a cup of concrete for those niggling injuries :)

Who do you play for?

Basketball. Play monday, train tuesday, play thursday. Find it takes it out of you sometimes but more than likely the getting home late after a game through out the week. Lifting has definitely helped in most aspects. I still am not dunking but hopefully can cram it by end of the year

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Same ive played basketball for close to 15 years. Was able to dunk when I was in year 8 lol. Although now I don't play id love to get back into it after not playing for aboit 4 years.

I play for Blacktown in the Sydney AFL comp.
We have a division 5 and 2 team, good bunch of guys to get out and have a kick with too!

Last edited: