• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Paused Lifts

Who's using them?
What do you hope to improve?
Is it just broscience?

I use them religiously for all my competition lifts. From what I understand by spending more time under tension in the particular hold positions you are essentially able to 'learn' how to stay tight in the position (the parallel position of the squat, the touch on the bench, below/above the knee on deads). Furthermore you are able to get stronger in the hardest position of the lift.

As for the fact of whether it is broscience or not. Mike tuchscherer uses them a ton in his training so as far as I'm concerned it works haha he isn't the only guy that uses them a lot, for example sheiko programs in paused below knee deads, etc.

I see them as a way of increasing training volume at a particular point.
They also help with staying tight during the lift so if you struggle with that it is a good teaching aid
Also good for positioning... not so much for powerlifting with the exception of the deadlift but great for weightlifters

Nothing more complicated than that really

I suggest you listen to Dan green talk about his training principles

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Paused 3-5 second Olympic back squat like Klokov.

Hope to improve strength an eleviate sticking points

I suggest you listen to Dan green talk about his training principles

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Can you be more specific? I've watched and read a lot of Dan Green and he talks about many things. Mining through them to find the info on paused lifts would take hours lol

I can't see any good reason not to do both pause benches and pause squats, if you're ever going to compete in raw powerlifting, or even if you're just a raw lifter and don't want to compete, but do want to keep increasing your strength for the long haul.

Never tried a pause deadlift. Seems like a weird one for that. Just deadlifting, and sometimes deficit or rack/blocks, seems to work alright for me so far.

I can't see any good reason not to do both pause benches and pause squats, if you're ever going to compete in raw powerlifting, or even if you're just a raw lifter and don't want to compete, but do want to keep increasing your strength for the long haul.

Never tried a pause deadlift. Seems like a weird one for that. Just deadlifting, and sometimes deficit or rack/blocks, seems to work alright for me so far.

Paused low bar squats I didn't get on well with. They didn't help me at all really and made going into the hole an even more protracted affair.
I got around this by doing more front and high bar squatting. Larger range of motion and develops all the right areas. The high bar squats are good to pause right at the bottom but it's not really a pause you're just sitting there. I normally do my high bar squats as jump squats so I am being really sure to explode out the hole (you have to). Front squats are great to pause, best leg and midsection exercise IMO. Good for glutes as well I guess but not many LB squatters have this issue

Depends on WHY you're pausing
For positioning & tightness, pausing the rep a few inches off the floor is best, then finishing the lift.
You can also look at a video of a 1RM (not a fail) and slow it right down. The point where the bar STARTS TO SLOW DOWN (not where it is slowest) is a great place to pause as well. If in doubt, pause lower

Paused low bar squats I didn't get on well with. They didn't help me at all really and made going into the hole an even more protracted affair.
I got around this by doing more front and high bar squatting. Larger range of motion and develops all the right areas. The high bar squats are good to pause right at the bottom but it's not really a pause you're just sitting there. I normally do my high bar squats as jump squats so I am being really sure to explode out the hole (you have to). Front squats are great to pause, best leg and midsection exercise IMO. Good for glutes as well I guess but not many LB squatters have this issue
Interesting stuff. I'm fine with paused low bars, eschew all high bar variants, but like fronts even though they're fatiguing fuckers. So I might try some paused fronts next week.

Interesting stuff. I'm fine with paused low bars, eschew all high bar variants, but like fronts even though they're fatiguing fuckers. So I might try some paused fronts next week.

Go right down, pause at the bottom then relax at the hip flexors so you're just sitting there. Then do the rep.

Watch what happens to your deadlift

I use them.

Only started recently for squats. I like them to check my positioning and torso angle too as well as the extra TUT.

I read some stuff from Brandon Lilly on doing pause bench stopping about 1-2" above your chest. I believe the reasoning was because that initial movement off the chest can often be initiated by the leg drive so pausing a little higher can use more upper body. (also it is a sticking point for me)

I've only done pause at knee deadlifts when doing sheiko and that was all sumo. Loved them. Since switching back to conventional they feel a LOT harder for some reason.

Oh and the reason I really liked the pause at knee deadlifts is that many people I have worked with really tend to yank the bar off the ground instead of using leg drive. When you only need to move the bar 4" or so, they don't tend to yank it so much.

doing pause bench stopping about 1-2" above your chest.

I do this.
My first rep is always a proper comp style pause on chest, then press and hold for a second... then the other reps are paused like there was a 2 board there.

Only because I'm trying to save my shoulders and still bench.

I get no leg drive at all.
Couldn't get it to work so gave up on it.

I do low bar pause squats immediately after normal low bar squats on Monday. I used to do regular squats one training day and pause squats another, but found that it was causing me to slow down and occasionally pause my normal squats, which is not a good outcome. I now do bouncy high bar squats on my other squat day, so that the last squats I've done before heavy squatting are making use of the stretch strength reflex. Seems to helping me to reap the benefits of pause squats without taking as much of the costs. I'm finding paused squats good for positioning, and for learning to drive up with power.

I also pause my benches on the chest, because competition. Up until the last couple weeks I've been doing board presses with a pause, too, which I've been finding has made me stronger in the bottom half of the bench press (which has always been my sticking point), although now I'm just failing higher up, which feels weird after years of failing 6 inches off the chest.