• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

people who said u wouldnt amount to anything

I think holding a job and owning a car doesnt mean you have amounted to anything at all, you just described most of the Western civilization.

I'd like to think that amounting to something means more than that, thats just getting through life.

When your gone, will you be remembered for anything.

Our Prime Minister earns a paltry $350,000 a year, peanuts in the CEO world.

She'll be remembered in History long after Mercedes driving 9-5 ers are long gone. I bet very few people can name the guy that runs the bank you work for Trent, he probably earns $10,000,000 a year, yet everyone knows the PM, or Brendon Fevola, Jim Stynes.

Money and possesions sure as hell dont mean you have amounted to something, it just means you got a job. Just like your dad and grandad did. And your neighbour, and the guy who pays you. And the kid at Maccas you give your coin to.

Also $55,000 when you were 18, around 14 years ago, is worth over $250,000 now I reckon.

I hope to be remembered and to have influenced some people, good or bad, long after after I'm gone.

Just my 2 dracmas

really? you measure how successful your life has been by what other people think of you? i wouldnt have expected that from you.

i agree that money and possessions arent everything but i certainly dont give a rats ass what a bunch of people ill never meet think of me. different strokes for different folks i guess. i bet the guy running that bank fucking loves his job and has probably provided his children with every possible opportunity to do whatever they want with their lives. if i can achieve those two things ill consider myself pretty successful.

You can be sucessful and fail at the same time.
Earning 1 million dollars per year could be financial sucess, but other areas of your life may suffer.

A balanced life would be a sucessful life in my opinion:

wheel-of-life.jpg

Good topic Ceffo.

Success is measured by each individual and
each subset of culture.

For example, a family who has 3 generations of
unemployment would consider having a full-time
job a success; buying your own house is success;
Loosing 10Kg is success.

To me on a personal note I am a success. Thanks
to my parents who moved here 20yrs ago to give
me and my brother a 'Fantastic' life.

However, I still have so many goals to achieve that
I will need 3 more life-times. BUT I'm still happy cause
I'm a success within.

Devante.
P.S.

Our prime goal in life above everything else is happiness, which I believe is achieved through balancing all elements of your life and maintaining throughout it.

Hulks graph is a very useful tool to use and re-visit, I've never seen that before.

That's my interpretation of success, is happiness.

silverback that is 100% correct.. having a lot of money by no means means you are happy. i know a lot of peopel who work 3 days a week, have a very simple life they just get by but they are the happiest people. this couple spend a lot of time with each other and dont work just cause they want money. and im starting to believe them.
ill be dropping back to 4 days a week working when i can as i believe happiness is the way to success. the more you have the more you worry.. jsut be content!

they just rent, they both work 3 days.. they just drive a plain car, dont buy flashy expensive things just for show. they just live simply and have a great time doing it. they know they could double there income by working more and have more nicer things but there happiness with what they do is more important to them ... they work to live and be happy, not live to work

if that works for them great but there is a middle ground...having heaps of money won't make you happy but not having any money can make you unhappy.

they just rent, they both work 3 days.. they just drive a plain car, dont buy flashy expensive things just for show. they just live simply and have a great time doing it. they know they could double there income by working more and have more nicer things but there happiness with what they do is more important to them ... they work to live and be happy, not live to work
I think what's missing here is kids. Once they come into the equation 3 days a week ain't going to cut it. That's if u want the best for them in life imo.

I think holding a job and owning a car doesnt mean you have amounted to anything at all, you just described most of the Western civilization.

I'd like to think that amounting to something means more than that, thats just getting through life.

When your gone, will you be remembered for anything.

Our Prime Minister earns a paltry $350,000 a year, peanuts in the CEO world.

She'll be remembered in History long after Mercedes driving 9-5 ers are long gone. I bet very few people can name the guy that runs the bank you work for Trent, he probably earns $10,000,000 a year, yet everyone knows the PM, or Brendon Fevola, Jim Stynes.

Money and possesions sure as hell dont mean you have amounted to something, it just means you got a job. Just like your dad and grandad did. And your neighbour, and the guy who pays you. And the kid at Maccas you give your coin to.

Also $55,000 when you were 18, around 14 years ago, is worth over $250,000 now I reckon.

I hope to be remembered and to have influenced some people, good or bad, long after after I'm gone.

Just my 2 dracmas

You are wise.

To be honest I've never understood the need to be remembered. When you're dead and gone you're oblivious to time or your previous existence (at least as I see the afterlife, or lack of in this case) and in a hundred billion years no one will remember anything about anyone anyway.

Sounds very pessimistic I know, but I believe we are very lucky to experience this short sensation we call life and I plan to take full advantage of it. I plan to enjoy it as best I can, share that joy where possible and raise decent kids so that they too might get to enjoy life as well.

Noone ever told me I wouldn't amount to anything, but I had a calculus teacher tell me you won't get anywhere in life without going to uni. I went to uni, got the piece of paper, gave it to my mum and then started again with a traineeship. Now I earn double what my mate earns as a teacher and the only kids I have to put up with are the "adult" ones now and then. I also had plenty of teachers tell me I should try harder though, with one physics teacher getting upset when a mate and I said "but why? we beat everyone in the exam"

My uncle said my dad (his brother) should have been an engineer and could earn so much more money yada yada yada. Mum's reply was "but he likes his job" and my uncle still couldn't understand because for him success was money. I always thought we were rich (we weren't) before I left home and realised what people get paid and what shit costs.

I think the people who say you won't amount to anything are the people disappointed in their own lives. Most people I've worked with have been encouraging with one guy even helping me with my shifts so I could go back to uni to finish it off.

I'm not one to react to what other people say about me, as I have enough self belief to know that I can do things I really want to, but it just so happens that someone always managed to tell me that I can't do something at certain critical moments in my life. Eventually I proved that wrong, and while those people told me so out of malice, I believe I owe them a thank-you.

I'd like to think I'm old enough now and know what I have to do, that I don't need that kind of negativity to get me fired up anymore.

Kez said:
To be honest I've never understood the need to be remembered.

Humans have an innate desire for immortality. Since we can't actually live forever, we have two ways to achieve that to some extent: have children to continue our genes, and have our names written in history for our deeds.

If you think there's nothing when we're dead & gone so it's pointless to try to be someone people will remember, then following the same logic, it's pointless to have kids & raise them, because when you're dead, they become irrelevant to you anyway, right?

It's the few humans who have that desire to be remembered that have driven civilizations forward and brought us to where we are today as the most dominant species on Earth. Most of us are just happy enough to get to live a simple life.

I think what's missing here is kids. Once they come into the equation 3 days a week ain't going to cut it. That's if u want the best for them in life imo.

True, kids do shake things up a bit. But I think kids would appreciate you being around more as opposed to seeing them for half an hour each weeknight after you get back from work.

plus childcare is really fucking expensive.