• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Post Your Back Workout

Mine.

Deads x 3-4 sets
Barbell Row x 3 sets
Chins x 3-4 sets
Sometimes cables rows.

that's about it.

Upper lower at the moment, so all i do is chins and rows twice a week and deadlifts another day

If i do go to bodypart split it would be - Deadlifts (3x5)
(chin ups - 3 x 12)
(rows - 3 x 8)
(seated rows - 2 x 12)
(back extensions - 2 x 20)

As you can see im a fan of volume

V-grip pulldown
hammer strength one arm row
hammer strength pulldown
lat pulldown
straight arm pulldown on cable machine

3-5 sets x 4-10 reps

Thats my normal back workout atm - need to change it up abit been doin that for awhile now.

V-grip pulldown
hammer strength one arm row
hammer strength pulldown
lat pulldown
straight arm pulldown on cable machine

3-5 sets x 4-10 reps

Thats my normal back workout atm - need to change it up abit been doin that for awhile now.

The deadlift lovers aren't going to be happy

Deadlifts are good dont get me wrong but I do think if you want overall growth, development and detail in your back you need to be doing alot of other things.

Deadlifts are great for glute, hamstring and lower back development...not so much upper back and detail.

I doing Starting Strength so pretty much everything I do except dips (as assistance) involves using my back.

Deadlifts, Bent Rows and Chins mainly, but Squats and Overhead Press definitely demand a strong back, and even bench engages the lower back somewhat.

I'm still not exactly sure why improving ones upper back strength improves ones bench, but I've heard it enough to believe it.

I doing Starting Strength so pretty much everything I do except dips (as assistance) involves using my back.

Deadlifts, Bent Rows and Chins mainly, but Squats and Overhead Press definitely demand a strong back, and even bench engages the lower back somewhat.

I'm still not exactly sure why improving ones upper back strength improves ones bench, but I've heard it enough to believe it.

When benching correctly the rear delts play a huge role in driving the weight.

If you ever see good bench pressers they will have huge triceps, huge rear delts/traps,front delts and honestly alot of them dont have great chests. The above muscles mentioned are what will give you a big bench.

Deadlifts, twice a week
rows 4x a week
lat pull down 3-4 times a week (because im too fat for chins)

Mine:

Deadlifts
Rack Pulls
Wide Grip Chins
V-Grip Pulldowns
Bent Rows
Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns

I do weighted chins with 10kg x 4 sets, then 2-3 bodyweight sets to failure then move onto seated rows. Works great!

Mine looks like this at the mo.....

Pull ups to failure,
3x6 deadlifts
3x10 close grip seated rows,
1x30ish pull ups
2xfailure pull ups

1x30 pullups . that is nuts mate.

Mine is just
-deads
-close grip seated row/bent row
-chins
-pulldowns

what are peoples thoughts on which hits the back better - chin ups (palms facing you) or pull ups (palms facing away)?

palms away for me, every few weeks il change up grip width,

I'd say most of my upperback/width comes from pull ups.

And i use palms faceing on bicep day (mon/tue/wed/thur/fri/........)lol

no one likes the inverted row? I like these as less risk than bent rows (which I do also) and I prefer higher reps.

I don't have a back workout as such but over a general week I would do
pullups (shitloads at BW, less weighted)
bent rows
inverted rows
deadlifts (when hip wasn't injured) SLDL's at the moment.
backward sled drags

I like inverted rows a lot. I'd like to progress to doing them with feet elevated on a bench. I do chins with neutral grip, close grip seated rows and usually deadlifts, though cut back on these lately as back been playing up. Also do Lat Pulldown from time to time...higher reps, around 12.

I've done bent rows at various times, but then thought seated rows make more sense from safety perspective, and they're basically the same exercise except you're sitting on your ass. Overall though, chins are the bread and butter back exercise for me.