• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Posture problem?

Tall_Tim

Hey guys

A friend of mine has just asked me if I could help him with a problem he is having with his physique. Basically his shoulders are rolled forward slightly all the time which makes him look very awkward despite the fact hes been training a while but not particularly tall.
My guess is people (guys especially) tend to roll their shoulders forward slightly to make their lats look bigger from the front (even though it makes them look kinda goofy and awkward from the sides and back) and it becomes a bad habit with their posture that has become second nature just like slouching in a chair.
He tells me that his PT wants him doing more benching to strengthen his shoulders so that they can sit back in alignment comfortably. I told him not to ignore his trainer as he is qualified to teach this stuff and Im not - but I would have thought it was due to muscular imbalance as he is trying to get the "beach muscles" growing for his weekend drinking sessions and spends far more time on his bench and arms as opposed to working his back and legs too to keep everything in proportion (something Im sure plenty of you will frown on). I told him to make a habit of pulling his shoulder blades together whenever his is standing straight or sitting in a chair to try and make his shoulders accustomed to being where they're supposed to be. But thats all I can say because I havent had this problem and I cant get through to him that pecs and bicepts are not all that there is to getting a good physique. I mean lets face it women (and judges too i suppose) like guys with great legs and glutes but he dosent seem to want to listen.

Is there any advice I should pass on....apart from a slap?

That PT is a ****EN MORON! Slap him for me please.

He needs to do more pulling, not pushing! Rows, Deadlifts, blah blah. I used to have a hunched over posture, it is now so much better due to building a balanced physique. It is also something you need to pay attention to, slouching is no good for your back.

I've had and still do have a similar posture problem, it's getting better now im lifting. but just practicing good posture is wat has helped me over the last couple of years, if he sits at a chair all day tell him to get a lumbor surport cusion and that will force him to sit up and think about his posture. I can can only give this advice from experience not from a medical point of view. Hope this helps.

i'm quite tall and used to have poor posture and spend a lot of time in front of a computer at work. i'm positive it has been working my back that has made the difference for me.

That PT is a ****EN MORON! Slap him for me please.

He needs to do more pulling, not pushing! Rows, Deadlifts, blah blah. I used to have a hunched over posture, it is now so much better due to building a balanced physique. It is also something you need to pay attention to, slouching is no good for your back.

Fark me!
That is exactly what I was thinking.You see a lot of guys with that hunched over look because the spend hours benching and no pulls.Having dominant chest muslces will pull the shoulders forward.
That PT is a dip****e.
Unless he has a structural problem,then in that case he needs to see a medical professional.

Well Im glad that the replies are along the lines of what I was thinking about his PT's advice. Its sad that after all the industry qualifications and certificates are paid for, assessed and finally handed out that there are still a few morons slip through and take money from people who know less than them.