• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Rack, Barbell, Dumbbell etc suggestions.

A cheaper bar will do you for a while if you need to keep prices down to sell the idea to your parents.

A cheaper bar will do you for a while if you need to keep prices down to sell the idea to your parents.

haha funny you say that, i did exactly that! ahh my Dad bought me my first barbell, a 6 foot standard barbell for $50. Mum said '$50 for a metal stick!'

lucky they dont know that the black barbell thats been sitting in the garage cost me a few months saving up and ~$480 :p

haha funny you say that, i did exactly that! ahh my Dad bought me my first barbell, a 6 foot standard barbell for $50. Mum said '$50 for a metal stick!'

lucky they dont know that the black barbell thats been sitting in the garage cost me a few months saving up and ~$480 :p

See perfect example of sneakiness right there.

I have 2 BB's from Gym Direct arriving any minute now, Adrian reckons there pretty good.

We'll know more in a few weeks, I'll do a thread on them.

Awsome thread...

My wife just got a new job offer so will be working 5 days a week from next week. That means she'll do drop-offs at school but I'll have to do pick-ups. Looks like I might have to ditch the FF gym membership.

I mentioned the idea of spending about $1,000 on a personal home gym setup around a power rack, incline bench, olympic bar and plates and she's all for it. Love that girl. That way I can go get my boy, come home and still have a workout.

I'll give Adrian a call and he might help me out with a complete set up but this thread has certainly assisted already. Will just have to keep the motivation up to workout when its all at home...

Cheers,
Mike

@ Amac - Im the same age as you (Need to save some $$), its one or the other, bench or the barbell, and since i'll be likely end up getting 2 barbells and not 2 benches the barbell option makes more sense.

@dave - exactly, down the track ill add in another barbell and they won't even notice its in there :p

@ Mike - My setup is going to cost me around 1200 not including shipping and the weight plates, im going to try source some weight plates locally in order to try save some money. So i think its gonna cost you a bit over 1k for a power rack, incline bench, barbell and olympic plates.

@ Markos - Did you get the ones i have linked at the top? Or is it the Muscle motion ones?

Last edited:
Just received my stuff today :) All unpacked and ready to be put together.

Like to thank everyone who helped me out + Adrian @ gymdirect :)

Awesome stuff.

Now just need to wait for my weight plates which are due to be here early next week. :)

Nice, I'm happy to report that the bars I got from Gym Direct are still straight and in perfect working order