• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pre fatiguing

0ni

Registered Rustler
When wanting to shift the emphasis onto the chest during the bench press, are you supposed to pre fatigue the chest so it hits failure sooner or do you pre-fatigue the triceps so that the chest takes more of the load :confused:

The idea is to pre fatigue the larger muscle group with an isolation type movement so it fails before the smaller muscle group eg. - if the triceps fatigue before the pecs then the pecs may not get a chance to get worked thoroughly.

Last edited:
When wanting to shift the emphasis onto the chest during the bench press, are you supposed to pre fatigue the chest so it hits failure sooner or do you pre-fatigue the triceps so that the chest takes more of the load :confused:

Pre fatigue the boobs with a fly type movement then the multi joint exercise.

The trick is moving from the pre-fatigue to the multi joint really quick, I mean no rest straight to the next exercise, no more then 5 seconds between.

So I am doing chest flies right before I bench?
Or triceps extensions?
I want to make my chest grow more here. I'm thinking the pec deck first or some pullovers squeezing my arms together to get used to flexing my chest before I start benching

So I am doing chest flies right before I bench?
Or triceps extensions?
I want to make my chest grow more here. I'm thinking the pec deck first or some pullovers squeezing my arms together to get used to flexing my chest before I start benching

Flyes first then straight to bench press

I would first suggest 0ni that the way you bench press will need to change.
I know some here will get butthurt with that statement.

Flyes first then straight to bench press

I would first suggest 0ni that the way you bench press will need to change.
I know some here will get butthurt with that statement.

nono, it is needed, i have changed this already
ronnie would be proud

How have you changed your bench press technique?

well, to untrained eye it would look very similar
I compete in powerlifting right? so I need to bench like a powerlifter
but when weight gets heavy, this is when delts and triceps take over
I'll video tomorrows session so you get a better idea

So I'll start at maybe 50kg, lower bar slowly to get groove then stretch pecs at bottom then all I think about it contracting the chest, "how can I contract my chest harder" and the bar rises "by itself" for a set of 15-20. This is more a primer really. Then I'll work up with my usual training making sure I am just focusing on contracting the chest and not thinking about trying to raise the bar

Eventually, weight is too heavy to do this, but it's needed for PL training so it's fine. Then I'll have a break and do some squats and go back to bench, work up the same, usually lighter then I'll do some light flies or dips

Actually, I'll film Wednesday, because I am doing a pyramid type workout, so it will demonstrate it much better with less weight and more repping

Yeah but are you saying that to build your chest you have to use light weights and high reps?

yes, or at least at first until I get better at contracting the chest
if I go heavy, all triceps and delts for me

yes, or at least at first until I get better at contracting the chest
if I go heavy, all triceps and delts for me

So back to my original question, besides using your mind how are you going to change your technique to achieve this?